General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Netizen
(regular) Mon 06-Jun-11 14:21:21
Print Post

Internet ONLY connection?

[link to this post]

Hello,

I have been away from the DSL market for a long period of time so I am not sure if something like this actually exists:
I am looking for a provider that will supply ONLY internet on the line. I do not need a landline package. Just plain internet on good speeds.
Is there such a beast?

Many thanks
N
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Jun-11 14:43:07
Print Post

Re: Internet ONLY connection?

[re: Netizen] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Netizen:
I do not need a landline package
No, but you need a landline. You have to rent a line from someone in order to have the BB signals carried to your house.

Of course you can always get slow mobile BB but you said DSL.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User Netizen
(regular) Mon 06-Jun-11 14:48:46
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I am now with BE Pro 24Mpbs and I am looking into having a similar service but without having to pay for the BT line (and of course without having a telephone line rental & service).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 06-Jun-11 15:02:34
Print Post

Lines have rental charged. No rental = no line.

You could try www.tooway.com

That doesn't need a landline tongue. The site has a list of UK resellers.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Jun-11 15:03:25
Print Post

Then either you are dreaming or believe in magic wink

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Jun-11 15:08:16
Print Post

The BT line is kind of essential to DSL - unless you can make DSL signals travel over a different medium and find someone that will support it...

As others have said (or suggested), broadband charges do not include the line. Any that do would be about £10 more (ie the line rental hidden in the broadband charge). Find the cheapest place for line rental, don't plug in a phone and get the broadband of your choice.
Standard User Netizen
(regular) Mon 06-Jun-11 15:14:45
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I am not dreaming.

I mentioned I've been away from the DSL market simply because I was abroad in another European country which does what I asked via normal telephone lines (not cable).
The setup is normal ADSL (as we know it) however if you connect a phone to the splitter you hear nothing. Cost wise is cheaper than having the phone line as well.

The interesting bit is that the provider that offers that is NOT the last mile owner.

An alternative in my case here would be via cable, however Virgin is not economical if you take internet only without line.
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Mon 06-Jun-11 15:24:53
Print Post

A&A offer this, which is what I am on right now. I can't make any outbound calls on the line, except for free phone and 999. People can make inbound calls to it.

Now on <aaisp.net>
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 06-Jun-11 15:26:20
Print Post

Different regulators force different things on firms.

It has been suggested that voice line rental is relatively cheap in the UK as the profit comes from the calls made. Thus on a line where no calls were ever possible they'd want more money!!!

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Jun-11 15:48:05
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mixt:
A&A offer this,
No, all they offer is line rental with no calls for £12 pm, just like everyone else The OP thinks he can get away without line rental.

A telephone line is required for broadband and has separate costs for telephone service.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to