General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User FullThrottle
(newbie) Wed 08-Jun-11 19:26:01
Print Post

Report Your Throttled Speed

[link to this post]

I understand that due to my usage (Well over 100GB per month) I'm going to be throttled by pretty much any ADSL company I goto (Unless I cough up for true unlimited packages for £50+/month and I'm not willing to pay that much), so I'm making a list of each ISP's throttled speed at peak times. I understand that different ISPs have different definitions of "peak times" so please include that information.

Hopefully if everyone contributes this will be a comprehensive list that can be put in the FAQ or stickied/pinned.

Basically I could live with an ISP that throttles down to 2Mbits/s and may be even stretch down to 1Mbit/sec if the "peak times" are reasonable and the price is right. However I’ve heard that ISP’s throttle down to 512Kbits/s which is unacceptable.

I'm currently with GreenISP ADSL (
A BT ADSL wholesale reseller, I forgot the technical term for it), but I signed up back when the contract was truly unlimited, however it's only 1Mbit/s at all times. If I re-sign up with them at a better speed I will lose my current unlimited contract forever. My first choice was Be Broadband (bethere.co.uk) however their LLU service isn’t supported in my area and there’s no sign of that changing. I’m also not keen on changing Landline provider (currently with BT). As for speed I’d be more than happy with 8Mbits/s

Help me ThinkBroadband - You're my only hope.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 08-Jun-11 19:39:27
Print Post

Re: Report Your Throttled Speed

[re: FullThrottle] [link to this post]

Please post the link to what samknows says about your exchange.

Also, what are you prepared to spend on the broadband side of it, ignoring the line rental.

The factor you haven't considered is that there isn't just throttling, there can also be congestion even when not throttled. Then there are some that throttle and still get congested, which is what yours sounds like.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Wed 08-Jun-11 19:40:11
Print Post

Plusnet

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Jun-11 19:44:53
Print Post

Shame you don't have Be on your exchange - you don't have to take Be Landline as well though

BE is not Full LLU known as MPF - it is SMPF which means you still have a BT maintained line. BE Landline is just resold BT WLR3

Do you have Bulldog enabled on your exchange as if so you can possibly get LLU (C&W ADSL2+) with Uno or Vivaciti - again it's not Full LLU

RobertoS has a very good explanation on his website
http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/what_is_llu_.html

Be* Unlimited
(newbie) Wed 08-Jun-11 20:06:21
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Then there are some that throttle and still get congested, which is what yours sounds like.

You miss understood, I'm gettin 1Mbit/s at the moment because that's what I signed up for back then, it's an unlimited unthrottle service. I can carry on using it as much as I want but 1Mb sucks, can't stream HD video, can't even stream 480p on Youtube (You can buffer for ages but that defeats the point of streaming).
Standard User gmoorc
(member) Wed 08-Jun-11 20:12:14
Print Post

Doesn't help with your survey but other options if you have talk talk on your exchange:

Vivaciti surfwise complete MPF- 46.80 including line rental
Vivaciti surfwise variety SMPF - 40.20 plus line rental

(The above includes the extra cost of the file share addon)

The only unlimited/unmanaged option I have seen on a BT connection is from Goscomb at £100 a month blush
(newbie) Wed 08-Jun-11 20:26:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Please post the link to what samknows says about your exchange.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SLGB

Also, what are you prepared to spend on the broadband side of it, ignoring the line rental.

Up to £25/Month depending on speed and how much/when they throttle.
Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 08-Jun-11 20:34:45
Print Post

If you're able to accomodate downloading large files off-peak or at weekend, then one of our BT-platform based packages might suit? E.g. we have a package called Home 30, offering 30GB peak usage (8am-midnight weekdays) but with truly unlimited off-peak (midnight-8am weekdays and ALL weekend...). Plus, we don't cap or throttle speeds be it in peak or off-peak, so no problems there. Plus, its a 1 month contract and free migration.! I won't go into specifics unless you ask, but you can see for yourself at http://adsl24.co.uk/broadband/

Your exchange has 21CN ADSL2+ so you'll get up to 24Mb download speed depending on your line, with up to 1.4Mb upload.

Thanks

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk

Edited by Adsl24 (Wed 08-Jun-11 20:35:49)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 08-Jun-11 20:57:37
Print Post

Sorry, yes - I missed the "at all times".

What we could also do with are the attenuation and noise margin figures you have, taken now if you can, and also somewhere between 10am and 4pm. TYhere can be a significant difference in noise margin. I should have asked for those before as well.

If you don't know how to find those, see here for help.

They enable us to forecast far more accurately than ISP or postcode checkers what connection speed you should achieve if you go for a variable-speed product. That needs to be looked at as well as the throttling/congestion side of things.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 08-Jun-11 22:42:04
Print Post

They state it's unlimited (+FUP) tongue

PDF for FUP info.

They aren't my ISP.

Harry
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to