General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User paulb100
(newbie) Sat 11-Jun-11 15:53:22
Print Post

new ISP (only Talk Talk LLu and 51db LA)

[link to this post]

My sister wants to move from SKY CONNECT - she has phone line through them too, she isnt happy that she is paying £55

she is toying with the idea of going back to Talk Talk which she used to have but it was really bad - this was 3- 4 years ago and beyond - I thought they picked up since then but they are officially the most complained about ISP..

she is after a bundle if possible but I told her that CHEAP and FAST/RELIABLE broadband doesnt come in one package in areas that have no LLu and your far from the exchange (which appears to be under supplied) - she has had Talk Talk and SKY CONNECT and they both almost non existent at peak times, streaming youtube just doesnt work most of the time during peak hours, bit-torrent is 100% blocked

ive heard you can get ISPs like TitanADSL over the Talk Talk network which run on their own back-bone and are quite good...? is this true? what are they like?

it would be great if she could at least download Bit-Torrent overnight too...

Im a bit out of touch with whats good and whats not these days so any help appreciated.

-------------------------------------------------------------
www.dslbuddy.net - Broadband & Networking Support
www.blackoutfm.co.uk - Old Skool Rave Podcast
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 11-Jun-11 16:19:18
Print Post

Re: new ISP (only Talk Talk LLu and 51db LA)

[re: paulb100] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by paulb100:
My sister wants to move from SKY CONNECT - she has phone line through them too, she isnt happy that she is paying £55
Sounds a bit over-priced. Does she have Sky TV too?

What exchange is she on? Samknows will say which providers are there http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

I wouldn't recommend Titan.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User paulb100
(newbie) Sat 11-Jun-11 16:22:40
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Sounds a bit over-priced. Does she have Sky TV too?

What exchange is she on? Samknows will say which providers are there http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

I wouldn't recommend Titan.

she says this is just her broadband & phone line + calls... £55

the exchange she is on only has Talk Talk as LLu
i think she might be going with Talk Talk simply to save money

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User SimonCandest
(knowledge is power) Sat 11-Jun-11 17:17:36
Print Post

I switched to TalkTalk LLU a while back, and tbh, I have not looked back. The connection has been rock solid and speeds are good. Torrents are hit or miss though. I have tried a couple and one flew, the other crawled.... Your mileage may vary on that one.

But, it's cheaper and faster than what I was getting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Flying on TalkTalk

My Broadband Speed Test

Gib mir die Hand, ich bau dir ein Schloss aus Sand
Irgendwie, irgendwo, irgendwann.
Standard User paulb100
(learned) Sat 11-Jun-11 17:40:35
Print Post

[re: SimonCandest] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by SimonCandest:
I switched to TalkTalk LLU a while back, and tbh, I have not looked back. The connection has been rock solid and speeds are good. Torrents are hit or miss though. I have tried a couple and one flew, the other crawled.... Your mileage may vary on that one.

But, it's cheaper and faster than what I was getting.

she has signed up with them... they had picked up I thought, but they were voted the most complained about ISP recently and i was surprised... I thought Virgin or BT would have taken that crown

what happens during the connection process? will she be without internet?
she has SKY TV that she would like to keep - will SKY only cancel the phone + broadband so TT can take over that or will she have to ring SKY and stop them from cancelling everything? as it was all-in-one package deal

thanks

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 11-Jun-11 17:43:33
Print Post

she has SKY TV that she would like to keep - will SKY only cancel the phone + broadband so TT can take over that or will she have to ring SKY and stop them from cancelling everything? as it was all-in-one package deal
Was she outside the 12-month contract? If not, it could get messy.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Sat 11-Jun-11 17:46:02
Print Post

She'd do well to check whether she's still inside of a contract with Sky for the phone and broadband; have the phone agent confirm the new monthly price if she moves her line rental & broadband away from Sky.

Have you had a check of the telephone wiring in her house? For want of some tidying up she might be able to get a far better speed to the exchange? ...posting the full router stats might also be of help to see if there's mileage to be had from this step.

Finally, what kind of usage does she have? Is she a heavy user, or a light one? If she does do any heavy usage (such as downloading), would she mind doing this overnight? Or is her heavy usage down to skype, youtube, iplayer etc - stuff that's kinda time sensitive.

Assuming that she's paying the list price for phone (£12.25/mo from sky) and broadband (£17/mo for connect) I would imagine we can if nothing else find a better service for the same price smile

Cheers,
Blueacid
=================================
Was on Xilo C&W LLU on MRCEN, Now Be* on MRARD.
Standard User paulb100
(learned) Sat 11-Jun-11 18:45:12
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by blueacid:
She'd do well to check whether she's still inside of a contract with Sky for the phone and broadband; have the phone agent confirm the new monthly price if she moves her line rental & broadband away from Sky.

Have you had a check of the telephone wiring in her house? For want of some tidying up she might be able to get a far better speed to the exchange? ...posting the full router stats might also be of help to see if there's mileage to be had from this step.

Finally, what kind of usage does she have? Is she a heavy user, or a light one? If she does do any heavy usage (such as downloading), would she mind doing this overnight? Or is her heavy usage down to skype, youtube, iplayer etc - stuff that's kinda time sensitive.

Assuming that she's paying the list price for phone (£12.25/mo from sky) and broadband (£17/mo for connect) I would imagine we can if nothing else find a better service for the same price smile

I have checked the router, socket and exchange, she can only manage about 4/5Mb - the phone socket is fine, checkd it - her line attenuation is 52db

she has already signed up with Talk Talk now as she wanted "Cheap" bundle and they are the only LLu provider in her exchange that could sell her a 'cheap' bundle
she wants to know what happens next - when will her current broadband be disconnected? there was no MAC code involvement as its swapping phone line too...

will SKY disconnected her phone/broadband immediatley or in next 24 hours?

I supposed she will have to ring up and verify new price for sky TV like you already suggested - I will mention this too her

thanks

Standard User paulb100
(learned) Sat 11-Jun-11 19:22:34
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Was she outside the 12-month contract? If not, it could get messy.

yes, she was outside the 12 month contact

Standard User baby_frogmella
(committed) Sat 11-Jun-11 19:27:30
Print Post

Your sister will only lose her existing broadband connection on the day her TalkTalk connection goes live. Has she been given a go live date yet by TalkTalk? Typically its around 2 weeks from the date you sign up though it can be longer. On the day i transferred over to TalkTalk LLU, my existing connection (BT[spit] ipstream based) disconnected at about 9am and by 9:30am i was switched over to talktalk. If the engineer doesn't have too much wortk to do at the exchange, you shouldn't be disconnected for more than an hour.

Welcome to the UK's most hated ISP smile

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ connected @ 17612/1019 kbps
Attenuation 27db down / 9db up
Noise Margin 3.3 db down / 12db up