General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DougMacp
(newbie) Fri 08-Jul-11 22:41:25
Print Post

Orange vs. BT

[link to this post]

Hi all, I get between 3.5 mbps and 4.5 mbps with my BT broadband & phone deal at the moment.(Reasonably fast for my rural location). Am I correct in thinking I should get roughly the same speeds if I change to Oranges home broadband deal? Surely the tech involved in getting the data from exchange to my router will not change so the speed should stay the same. The reason I ask is that Oranges website speed test says I'll get approx 2mbps. Logic tells me the speed should not change but I'm concerned that Oranges estimations are correct. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Jul-11 23:59:53
Print Post

Re: Orange vs. BT

[re: DougMacp] [link to this post]

Estimates are only estimates. Post your Router Stats and your Exchange Data and we'll see what you should actually get.

Orange has now handed over its BB to BT so you should get exactly the same connection speed but at different price and T&Cs.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User DougMacp
(newbie) Sun 10-Jul-11 21:52:07
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Hi, thanks - using the BT Home Hub v. 2 and the exchange is Dunoon. We were supposed to move to ADSL2+ in Spring 2011 but nothing happened and I can't find a forecast for when it will happen now. Steady 3.5Mb to 4.5Mb at the moment. Was 2 Mb for a while but then added the BT iPlate in 2008 and that moved us up to the current speeds. Surely no change with Orange? Just different router. (the price is good as I will be getting the Staff Plan).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Jul-11 22:06:29
Print Post

So, where's your Router Stats?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User epyon
(regular) Sun 10-Jul-11 23:13:29
Print Post

In theory orange should be faster but they have a FUP of 40GB far as i know.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 10-Jul-11 23:20:33
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

Probably no reason why Orange should be faster as the LLU could very well have been decommissioned. Several people on exchanges without BT ADSL2+, but on Orange LLU, have been taken off it and moved onto the new service.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Jul-11 23:26:06
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

Which theory is that? Relativity?

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Jul-11 23:29:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Even if Orange LLU is still commissioned at OP's exchange, which I doubt after this length of time, they won't put new customers on it only to pull them off later.

Standard User epyon
(regular) Mon 11-Jul-11 00:06:28
Print Post

Since LLU ADSL2 is faster than ADSL1

but since this exchange only has 1 LLU provider IE orange it should be faster but now since rob is saying there LLU is/maybe decommissioned it will just be as fast as his current BT service understand?
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Jul-11 00:58:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by DougMacp:
Hi, thanks - using the BT Home Hub v. 2 and the exchange is Dunoon. We were supposed to move to ADSL2+ in Spring 2011 but nothing happened and I can't find a forecast for when it will happen now. Steady 3.5Mb to 4.5Mb at the moment. Was 2 Mb for a while but then added the BT iPlate in 2008 and that moved us up to the current speeds. Surely no change with Orange? Just different router. (the price is good as I will be getting the Staff Plan).
Hi, the Kitz info will help you to get your BT Home Hub router line stats

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

Copy and paste them to this thread and from your router line stats we can tell you what speeds you should get with Orange.

Your Dunoon exchange does not have 21CN WBC ADSL2+ 24 Meg installed and is not on the list to have it yet, so you might be put on Orange LLU, if not it will be IPStream 8 Meg Max.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WSDUN

https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/downloads/Communit...

https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Community/B...

These are my router line stats with Orange WBC this morning 10:30amů

2Wire 2700HGV router
DSL Connection Details
Downstream Rate: 11529 kbps
Upstream Rate: 1177 kbps
Channel: Interleaved
Current Noise Margin: 9.1 dB (Downstream), 6.4 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 31.3 dB (Downstream), 15.8 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 20.7 dBm (Downstream), 12.2 dBm (Upstream)

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1380405772.png

http://www.pingtest.net/result/43400188.png

Orange WBC 20 Meg. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Edited by E7er (Mon 11-Jul-11 10:57:28)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to