General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User smallinson
(newbie) Sun 10-Jul-11 18:00:30
Print Post

Which ISP (again)

[link to this post]

I am in rural Cambridgeshire and currently with NewNet who have helped me tweak my DSL downlink speed to nearly 2Mb/s. There's no LLU, fibre or Cable provider in my area. I am a heavy user, and would like cheap unlimited broadband with no throttling (faster isn't going to be an option without something radical like bonding another pair I guess, which sounds expensive and klugey). Happy with NewNet service but they don't offer unlimited. What are my best options? I'm thinking BT Unlimited for Business, and Sky but there must be others...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 10-Jul-11 19:47:46
Print Post

Re: Which ISP (again)

[re: smallinson] [link to this post]

I can't advise on BT Broadband for Business, but advise very strongly against Sky non-LLU, (Sky Connect). Sky LLU is apparently reasonably good, but Sky Connect has a dreadful reputation.

How much download do you use at the moment, and is your upload volume significant? What is your current Newnet allowance and price? Can any large downloads, (you can't be doing large ones on Newnet tongue!), be scheduled to run overnight?

There is no such thing on a BT Wholesale circuit such as yours as "cheap unlimited broadband with no throttling". However there could be reasonably priced alternatives that give you more for your money. I can think of four possibilities off the top of my head, but need more detail from you as above to advise if any of them really fit.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Mon 11-Jul-11 00:39:02
Print Post

Without cable or LLU, you must pick any two from the following list: cheap, unlimited, fast.

There are compromises, particularly isps that offer unlimited (or as near as dammit) overnight, but a daytime limit. Would that suit?

Cheers,
Blueacid
=================================
Was on Xilo C&W LLU on MRCEN, Now Be* on MRARD.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User smallinson
(newbie) Mon 11-Jul-11 13:28:17
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

A bit more information:

The overnight unlimited period with NewNet is too short and it's not always appropriate to use it, but yes, it helps a bit. There's probably a compromise here: if I could get 20 - 30GB and a wider window for unlimited overnight use, that would be a big improvement.
Given we only get 2Mb/s download speed, and that isn't going to change any time soon, am I going to even notice traffic shaping and throttling by the ISP?
So if I choose from your list, I can't get fast because the loop is too long, so that implies I can get cheap and unlimited. I didn't say it, but I'm assuming there are some decent ISPs who can offer reasonably effective support when needed - but I only use support for chasing up faults with BT.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 11-Jul-11 17:55:49
Print Post

Plusnet Extra, but see the Traffic Management on this page. I'm not sure whether 12am is noon or midnight though - a silly way to put it.

or

Vivaciti Family 30.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 11-Jul-11 19:56:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I'm not sure whether 12am is noon or midnight though - a silly way to put it.
What NPL have to say... so now you know tongue

Afaik it's usually assumed to be midnight, but it could be clearer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6 & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User smallinson
(newbie) Mon 11-Jul-11 20:18:07
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Thanks everyone (it's midnight - I checked with Plusnet)
Very useful advice - Plusnet and Vivaciti look like the frontrunners. I appreciate all the help - thank you
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 11-Jul-11 23:05:35
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I'm not sure whether 12am is noon or midnight though - a silly way to put it.
What NPL have to say... so now you know tongue
Night night!

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 12-Jul-11 16:39:51
Print Post

have you considred

http://www.internet-central.net/ic-connect/broadband...

http://www.ifb.net/broadband.cfm

http://networking.totalwebsolutions.com/
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 12-Jul-11 17:02:52
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Would I be right in thinking all their prices are Vat exclusive? Before anyone even looks into the packages themselves. What are, (on one at least), the contention ratios of 50:1 and 20:1 all about. On BT Wholesale circuits, which those look like, contention ratios of that ilk disappeared literally years ago.

Print Thread

Jump to