General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User sorethumbs
(regular) Mon 11-Jul-11 17:10:17
Print Post

Cheapest deal for low speed/low download limit

[link to this post]

My father is interested in learning the basics of internet, he's coming up for 66 years old and will probably need a lengthy lesson on the 'net' - if i can get him to access his skittles league tables online it will at least be a start!

Anyway with that in mind i'm looking for a good deal to get him up and running. He lives out in the sticks and i know its only a low speed service he'd be able to get - no LLU or cable where he is, can't see him downloading anything in large amounts so a low allowance package would do fine. He would also like to keep his BT landline as it is (with BT). So i'm after a low cost broadband only deal

Has anyone any recommendations?
Standard User ukhardy07
(member) Mon 11-Jul-11 18:36:30
Print Post

Re: Cheapest deal for low speed/low download limit

[re: sorethumbs] [link to this post]

How sure are you that there's no LLU

Have you checked on here

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker
Standard User NuttyMucker
(regular) Mon 11-Jul-11 18:40:17
Print Post

Have a look at Plusnet for £6.49 pm for 10GB allowance. No frills broadband smile

Downside £25 connection charge.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User sorethumbs
(member) Mon 11-Jul-11 18:40:57
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Lived there for a while a couple years ago, no expert but i don't think anything has changed locally to improve anything
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WWBAMP
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 11-Jul-11 23:00:20
Print Post

Unfortunately that is a Market 1 exchange (no LLU), so all he can get is BT / Openreach service
whichever ISP you chose.
PlusNet is almost certainly the cheapest, but the price will be DOUBLE what was quoted above !
The good news is PlusNet is pretty good at customer and tech. support, with call centre in Sheffield.
Do check current BT offerings, see if there is one with no connection fee and 3 months free,
then get PlusNet to match that (they will, their TV ads boast that they won't be beaten on price).

You would get even better deal with phone + BB bundle, as PlusNet is actually owned by BT it will not cause any problems if in future switch back to BT.
Regards,
Martin
  Print Thread

Jump to