General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User george7376
(newbie) Wed 13-Jul-11 12:51:32
Print Post

E14 Poplar Isle of Dogs LLU Status

[link to this post]

Hi,

I've just signed a contract for a flat in the Isle of Dogs (nearer the west, very close to the Millwall inner dock) and been researching the broadband issues in E14. All I could find was that the Poplar exchange had huge capacity issues back in 2009/2010 and BT had to remove some asbestos in order to extend the MDF to allow for new LLU connections etc. I can't seem to find any more up-to-date info on the situation - should I take it that it's been resolved and broadband is now reasonable when with LLU?

Unfortunately I don't have the landline number of the previous occupant (and I don't move in until the start of August) so I'm relying on using the postcode checkers - and BT says that Infinity will be available 30-sep-11, but again what I've learnt about this particular date is that BT haven't actually set a definite date for this area, and that Infinity on the Isle of Dogs will only be put in for older estates and houses - not the newly (>10 years old) flats?

Would appreciate it if anyone could give me some more up to date information on the situation as I've tried Googling for everything!
Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-Jul-11 14:51:02
Print Post

Re: E14 Poplar Isle of Dogs LLU Status

[re: george7376] [link to this post]

We are still seeing some capacity issues there, although it is dependent on the package.
FTTC is doing OK, we have a fair few numbers of customers hanging off the dreaded Poplar exchange that we have got on FTTC no with no real problems.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User george7376
(newbie) Wed 13-Jul-11 14:59:38
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

Thanks for the quick response. Is it likely that the new flats will have FTTC enabled, or is it just one of those things where I'll have to find out when moved in?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User epyon
(regular) Wed 13-Jul-11 15:49:18
Print Post

Was there not an agreement all new builds have to be FTTP ready/easily install or something?

but anyways it probably depends if there was a new cab for the flats or if it was just connected to an old cab.

BE*Unlimited

Edited by epyon (Wed 13-Jul-11 15:50:08)

Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-Jul-11 16:22:42
Print Post

I think that would be pot luck on if the block had the cab upgraded or not, one cab may feed several blocks.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Wed 13-Jul-11 18:03:29
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

I suppose take up of FTTC means that LLU capacity in the exchange is freeing up... Bonus for those living near Poplar but unable to get fibre

Cheers,
Blueacid
=================================
Was on Xilo C&W LLU on MRCEN, Now Be* on MRARD.
Standard User george7376
(newbie) Thu 14-Jul-11 00:36:15
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by blueacid:
I suppose take up of FTTC means that LLU capacity in the exchange is freeing up... Bonus for those living near Poplar but unable to get fibre

Excellent point there! When I had the viewing, I noticed a BT OpenReach branded telephone point, with what looked like newish extension wiring fitted (presumably after flats originally built) - not sure if the openreach branding on the master faceplate gives anything extra away? I know the current occupant has a (operator unbranded) D-Link ADSL(2 I assume) modem plugged in though.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 14-Jul-11 09:10:45
Print Post

Make sure the current occupant gets the broadband removed from the line when they leave! To be effective the day they leave, or the day after.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 21-Nov-11 16:13:50
Print Post

After more than a year and halfs wait for FTTC to be installed at the POPLAR Exchange and for the new FTTC cabinet to be installed in my area I'm happy to say BT Infinity is now available. I have the BT engineer coming around to my place in a weeks time.

Initial test indicate that the download rate will be 33mbps, which isn't too shabby. I'm a more excited about the potential 10Mbps upload speed though. All I can say is that it's not a cheap change over.There is a £98 connection fee and then £66 a month for 200GB. Zen Internet charges a couple £ more than the rest but so far the service has been excellent.
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 24-Nov-11 20:31:04
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

For people that can't get yet FTTC, Be is showing more and more capacity on various LLU networks - probably freed up from the lucky ones who can move to FTTC smile

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to