General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 23-Jul-11 15:52:42
Print Post

Thinking of changing from TalkTalk to Sky / BT

[link to this post]

My contract with TT LLU is up in the next few weeks - I've had a seemingly common prob. with the router rebooting itself for no reason, also dropping the connetion and won't retrain without a reboot / power off-on.

Was thinking of Sky as I'm with them for TV, would enable the VoD (anytime+) option and would be cheaper than staying with TT but not sure what their router & service is like.

BT maybe as their router seems to be decent for wi-fi.

I download a fair bit so would want unlimited package, anytime+ isn't a dealbreaker - what I haven't had I won't miss smile
Just want a reliable connection & decent wi-fi router.

Exchange is NEWAS - Washington
Virgin is not an option, although the exchange is enabled they haven't cabled the estate and have no plans to in the future.
Was told earlier this year it would be almost £800 per property to cable and their limit it £300.

Stats from TT D-Link router-

Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 7825 kbps 884 kbps

SNR Margin (dB): 8.2 9.0
Attenuation (dB): 43.0 25.0
Output Power (dBm): 0.0 12.3

Any advice welcomed - is it worth jumping to Sky, BT etc. or should I just stay with TT?
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sat 23-Jul-11 16:10:51
Print Post

Re: Thinking of changing from TalkTalk to Sky / BT

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Sky LLU (your exchange is enabled) is the best choice for you. Actually unlimited downloads for a very good price.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 23-Jul-11 16:29:37
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

As a customer of TalkTalk I have been aware of a lot of unfavourable comments about their service.
I have recently changed house and TalkTalk continued as my Telephone and Broadband supplier.
They got my download speed up to 2000Kbps in a very bad area for internet connection. The neighbour opposite uses Sky and appears to get 500Kbps!!
I too had a lot of dropping the connection and, on investigation, an upgrade on my Netgear Router has solved the problem.
My only complaint about TalkTalk's service is the use of overseas Call Centres who seldom solve the problem. This plus the interminable delay in making contact on the telephone!
Scottie4642

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User epyon
(regular) Sat 23-Jul-11 16:36:56
Print Post

Honestly my parents have talktalk and all the problems stoped when i got them a decent router

but for unlimited downloads and a low price

sky is the one to go for.

BE*Unlimited
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User baby_frogmella
(committed) Sat 23-Jul-11 17:58:47
Print Post

Just bear in mind that if you go to BT or any other BTW based ISP, they'll put you on a ipstream ADSL1 service (no 21CN at your exchange) which at your attenuation means a lower speed by 1-3 meg.

Just buy a decent router (eg Billion 7700N) to use on your TalkTalk service, if that solves the disconnections is it really worth changing ISPs just because of a router? A bit drastic don't you think? If you do decide to stay with TalkTalk you could negotiate a half price deal for 12 months. Their Plus package gives you at least 100gb downloads per month and for decent support use their forums.

If you absolutely must change ISPs, then Sky LLU or Cable & Wireless LLU (your exchange is already LLU'd by C&W according to this, despite what SamKnows says) is your best bet as they both offer unlimited downloads (no FUP i believe).

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ connected @ 18015/1019 kbps
Attenuation 27db down / 9db up
Noise Margin 2.9 db down / 12db up
Powered by Billion BiPAC 7800N
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 23-Jul-11 19:47:56
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

I wasn't thinking of changing ISP purely because of the router, the reason was that my contract is due to end soon and I can get what seems to be the same sort of deal with Sky and also save some cash into the bargain.

I'm with TT LLU now so I should be able to just switch to Sky LLU and get the same sort of connection speed - right?
TT have been sending emails offering half price for 3 months if I sign up for a new 18 month contract but that's not doing it for me.

I've read posts about the Sky routers being locked down and it's a breach of the T&C's to use any other router - would there be any problems swapping to another router like the one you mentioned, can they tell and what would/could they do if they found out?
Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Sat 23-Jul-11 20:01:15
Print Post

I've read posts about the Sky routers being locked down and it's a breach of the T&C's to use any other router - would there be any problems swapping to another router like the one you mentioned, can they tell and what would/could they do if they found out?

This is to cover their backs so they can turn round and say we wont support your fault until you plug our router in.
Since after the first 10 days i have used my own router even rung support up and told them i wasn't using their bag or [censored] and they basically said fine but we cant support you for router faults. But they did sort my speed issues out which were being caused by there [censored] router.
So my take is go with it sve a few pounds and just keep the sky router for if you ever need support laugh

Ash

-------------------------------------------------------------
Sky Broadband Unlimited
2004: Blueyonder 256k/512k => 2006: Blueyonder 2Meg => 2009 Virgin Media 10Meg => 2009/10 Virgin Media 50Meg => 21/04/2011 sky Unlimited 11167 kbps D / 910kbps U

My Broadband Speed Test

Desktop 1 Intel Core i5 2500 4gig DDr3 1333 64GB SSD 250gig sata 3 HDD 1TB sata 2 HDD Blu-ray RW Nvidia 8800GTS Win 7 Pro, Ubuntu 11.04, Backtrack 4
Desktop 2 Intel Atom 330 2gig DDR2 677 250gig sata 2 HDD DVD-RW Win XP (VPN File Sharing Server Server)
Netbook Intel Atom N455 1gig DDR3 1066 250gig sata2 HDD Windows XP Pro Ubuntu 10.10
PSN/xbox live both: ACPSD775 add me if you like
Standard User J_Walsh
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 23-Jul-11 21:02:26
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

for the price sky is very good, unlimited downloads no trottling and gaming is a million times better than when i was with virgin cable smile

sky unlimited
Standard User baby_frogmella
(committed) Sat 23-Jul-11 21:11:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
I wasn't thinking of changing ISP purely because of the router, the reason was that my contract is due to end soon and I can get what seems to be the same sort of deal with Sky and also save some cash into the bargain.

I'm with TT LLU now so I should be able to just switch to Sky LLU and get the same sort of connection speed - right?
TT have been sending emails offering half price for 3 months if I sign up for a new 18 month contract but that's not doing it for me.

That Talktalk 3 month half price offer for a new 18 month contract is rubbish and you should be getting at least half price for 12 months (many people have negotiated such offers on new 18 month contracts). Call TalkTalk sales (UK based) and offer them an ultimatum....you're leaving them to go to Sky who are cheaper unless they offer you at least half price for 12 months. If the sales agent offers you less, umm and aaahh and then say you'll think about it and put the phone down...call them again, and go through the same process. Believe me, they'll offer you a really good deal sooner or later smile

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ connected @ 18015/1019 kbps
Attenuation 27db down / 9db up
Noise Margin 2.9 db down / 12db up