General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User AlistairS
(regular) Tue 26-Jul-11 18:42:04
Print Post

New ISP Thoughts

[link to this post]

I was on Vivaciti Broadband Complete Package until April this year. I have been using 3G via a High Speed Dongle on a PAYG AYCE phone tariff as I was getting around 9Mbit this way & only around 1Mbit via the LLU landline setup untweaked (1.8Mbit tweaked but unstable), However three have now clamped down on this usage. I am currently tethered via my HTC Desire to type this & have a three PAYG data sim & dongle with 7GB loaded(30 days) cost £25 for my usenet stuff as a temp fix.

I live in Cumbernauld which is a not spot that will be getting FTC some time next year

I currently do not have a landline connected either.

I am a fairly heavy downloder via usenet so need something high or unlimited. Also so that I can look at fibre to cabinet as soon as it is available. So should I be looking at something like a sky package for BB & Phone or something else.

Any thoughts?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 26-Jul-11 21:17:25
Print Post

Re: New ISP Thoughts

[re: AlistairS] [link to this post]

Sky is an option, though they may traffic manage you, as pretty much any of the other providers these days.

Be has no management, but generally will not take an order for a line as long as yours.

Also consider length of contract, you may need to change ISP when it arrives, so avoid getting locked into something that will be too expensive to leave, or uses full LLU which makes things harder for changing ISP's at will.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User epyon
(regular) Tue 26-Jul-11 21:25:15
Print Post

Get the three "one" plan unlimited data with no fair usage but its contract though.

BE*Unlimited
My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AlistairS
(regular) Tue 26-Jul-11 21:54:56
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by epyon:
Get the three "one" plan unlimited data with no fair usage but its contract though.

Unfortunately, tried that as well. Link
Standard User AlistairS
(regular) Tue 26-Jul-11 22:20:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sent a message to vivaciti to ask about the product I was on & any alternatives. Also see they have FTC so asking about transfer to that too.

I believe you can get an BT line installed for £30 or maybe even free. I suppose that might be a safe route to take?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 26-Jul-11 22:55:40
Print Post

IIRC £30 installation on a 18-month contract, and requires 2 phone calls per month that can be within the call plan you have to have anyway. It can be found on their website if you hunt around a bit.

All FTTC available so far can use it, except perhaps TalkTalk as theirs is a "Boost" on their LLU service.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
  Print Thread

Jump to