General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User semiartificial
(learned) Wed 27-Jul-11 14:46:09
Print Post

Thinking of moving from O2 to Orange ...

[link to this post]

I'm thinking of moving (in the next day or two) from O2 to Orange and I'm posting to collect any feedback you may have.
I am not very techno by the way.

It's been prompted by a couple of things, mainly Orange's offer:
- £19/month for line rental, broadband & free evening/weekend calls (18 month contract)
- £150 cashback through Quidco (+£20 HMV voucher)
- Unlimited downloads, no fair use policy (that's what they said!)
At the moment I pay £13 to O2 each month, plus standard line rental to BT

When I moved to O2 (about three years or so back) I wouldn't have touched Orange with a bargepole but apparently they are better than they were?

I'm on the Lytham exchange, so line speeds should be pretty much the same? Currently I speedtest around 13-14Mb

I've been happy with O2 speed and support, although I've had problems with intermittent disconnections, needing hard reboots (and factory resets on occasion) although things seem to have improved in recent weeks/months. I also have a persistent problem with certain aspects of online gaming which seem to be particular to O2 and defeated investigation. I was hoping that the router which Orange use (a Netgear DGN1000 apparently) would sort the latter out but recent reviews of this router on Amazon are awful, particularly with regard to its wireless performance. Apart from needing to connect two PS3s wirelessly, we've got a whole range of phones, gaming devices, computers and whatnot that depend on wireless connection. I don't want to save a few quid and end up getting it in the neck from my wife and kids every day because the thing doesn't do the job!

Any words of warning or encouragement gladly appreciated!
Thanks.
(learned) Wed 27-Jul-11 15:10:08
Print Post

Re: Thinking of moving from O2 to Orange ...

[re: semiartificial] [link to this post]

Just an update.
I called O2 (retentions) who offered six months free broadband (saves me £78), or £22.50/month for their 'all rounder' package which includes line rental and a call package ... but they warned me that throttling kicks in after 100Gb (not very likely but possible in practice) and there is traffic managment between 4pm and 12pm, though couldn't tell me what the actual effect of that is on my speed? I'm currently on the previous 'Premium' option.

... and I've just called Orange technical support (India) who were honest enough to say that 80% of people were happy with the Netgear, but that 20% were not happy with the wireless connection performance, which is what the unhappy Amazon users were saying. No alternative router available, unless they happen to have an old livebox in stock.
Hmmm ... not looking so good now ... maybe 6 months free with O2 is the better option?

Edited by semiartificial (Wed 27-Jul-11 15:20:36)

Standard User captainmouse
(member) Wed 27-Jul-11 15:32:01
Print Post

if you change from an o2 legacy package to one of new package you will be subject to traffic management. also Orange have given up on LLU so you will be on BT equipment.

check out the O2 forum for unhappy BB customers who have switched from unlimited un throttled legacy packges to the new capped traffic managed packages

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Jul-11 15:49:48
Print Post

Check the o2 forums here for threads on retention offers

Customers have remained on legacy packages with some decent offers - it is worth clarifying / confirming this

Be* Unlimited
(learned) Wed 27-Jul-11 16:02:40
Print Post

[re: nredwood] [link to this post]

They offered 6 months free, with a 12 month contract extension.
Just rang again to confirm and ask for alternatives, but that's it.
The more I look into this, the more I think that's the best option for me.
I really don't want to get into traffic management or throttling with O2 with a new package, or dodgy service with Orange.
(learned) Wed 27-Jul-11 16:04:16
Print Post

[re: captainmouse] [link to this post]

Thanks.
Definitely giving the new packages the swerve.
Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Jul-11 17:15:19
Print Post

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/o2/t/3985361-retent...

Be* Unlimited
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 27-Jul-11 22:16:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by semiartificial:
Thanks.
Definitely giving the new packages the swerve.
Orange is now a BT Wholesale white label service, like the Post Office and Vodaphone. If you were on anything other than O2 Premium or a be package it would be worth thinking about.

But given the retention deal you have been offered I think staying on Premium is best.

Telefonica half-year results out tomorrow. Broadband customer numbers could be interesting!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User CurlyWhirly
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Jul-11 22:41:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Telefonica half-year results out tomorrow. Broadband customer numbers could be interesting!

Yeah I expect a sharp fall in subscriber numbers due to the new broadband packages being traffic managed and more expensive with the recent price rise !
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Jul-11 14:49:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by semiartificial:
Just an update.
I called O2 (retentions) who offered six months free broadband (saves me £78), or £22.50/month for their 'all rounder' package which includes line rental and a call package ... but they warned me that throttling kicks in after 100Gb (not very likely but possible in practice) and there is traffic managment between 4pm and 12pm, though couldn't tell me what the actual effect of that is on my speed? I'm currently on the previous 'Premium' option.

... and I've just called Orange technical support (India) who were honest enough to say that 80% of people were happy with the Netgear, but that 20% were not happy with the wireless connection performance, which is what the unhappy Amazon users were saying. No alternative router available, unless they happen to have an old livebox in stock.
Hmmm ... not looking so good now ... maybe 6 months free with O2 is the better option?
Hi, Iíve had no wireless problems with the Netgear DGN1000 router. I have always thought Thomson was a poor wireless router, I understand that is all the old Orange Livebox is, within a different case.

Get a 2Wire 2700HGV version 1 wireless router, flash it with SBC firmware and you will have the most powerful wireless router in your street at 400mW. wink

http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/021.htm

Orange WBC 20 Meg. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
  Print Thread

Jump to