General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 01-Aug-11 15:21:12
Print Post

BE 10M vs any other cheap 20M

[link to this post]

I am looking at getting the internet in Greenwich.

Repeled by a previous bad experience with Virgin (useless and expensive customer service plus throttling and unreliability), I am appealed by BE's reputation.

I was wondering if BE's reliability could make for the price and speed difference if I take the 10M, when I could get 20 with any other cheap ISP (O2 or virgin for example)?

Thanks,
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 01-Aug-11 15:30:47
Print Post

Re: BE 10M vs any other cheap 20M

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

You seem to be looking for a quality provider over a budget provider and then you state "any other cheap ISP". BE are definitely in the quality rather than budget market and do a pretty good job of it from what I've heard, so you need to decide how much that quality is worth.

From the connection perspective though there's no reason to assume that the "*up to* 20" connections of another provider will sync at anything in excess of BE's 10M product, especially if you have a long or poor quality line. What to speed estimates say for your area? Personally I'd pick BE's unshaped 10M product over some budget product that's shaped slower than the 10M product during peak hours and might not even sync any faster anyway.

P.S. That's quite creative use of "appealed"
Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Mon 01-Aug-11 16:19:41
Print Post

if your looking for descent broadband with a decent price skys LLU broadband is quite good the customer services ar not the best in the world about 8/10 but so far they've been 50 times better than virgins.
Its £15 for truly unlimited un-shaped upto 20meg same as any other ADSL on the speed note.
if you've already got TV there's a 2,50 discount and if you take phone a further £5 so u get it for £7.50 if ping's important to you they can be in the 60s but you can ask to be put on gamer profile and it drops to 30s

Just another option for you to think about besides BE if its available that is but stay away from there connect service.

Ash

-------------------------------------------------------------
Sky Broadband Unlimited
2004: Blueyonder 256k/512k => 2006: Blueyonder 2Meg => 2009 Virgin Media 10Meg => 2009/10 Virgin Media 50Meg => 21/04/2011 sky Unlimited 11167 kbps D / 910kbps U

My Broadband Speed Test

Desktop 1 Intel Core i5 2500 4gig DDr3 1333 64GB SSD 250gig sata 3 HDD 1TB sata 2 HDD Blu-ray RW Nvidia 8800GTS Win 7 Pro, Ubuntu 11.04, Backtrack 4
Desktop 2 Intel Atom 330 2gig DDR2 677 250gig sata 2 HDD DVD-RW Win XP (VPN File Sharing Server Server)
Netbook Intel Atom N455 1gig DDR3 1066 250gig sata2 HDD Windows XP Pro Ubuntu 10.10
PSN/xbox live both: ACPSD775 add me if you like

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 01-Aug-11 17:16:15
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

Thanks for the feedback guys, I may go for BE. Now I need to know If I really need to pay those £85 for the line installation.

Cheers,
Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Aug-11 19:23:17
Print Post

Depends on whether there already a phone line

You do not need to take the landline from BE - you can get BT for £30 for an 18 month contract and there may be others just as cheap

As long as the line is maintained by BT, it will be fine for BE

The speed you get will depend on line length and quality - BE Unlimited and Pro are up to 24Mbps whereas BE Value is up to 12Mbps which will be more suitable if you have a long line but with BE Value you cannot have fastpath or a static IP if these are things you need

Be* Unlimited
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 01-Aug-11 23:02:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
I am looking at getting the internet in Greenwich.

Repeled by a previous bad experience with Virgin (useless and expensive customer service plus throttling and unreliability), I am appealed by BE's reputation.

I was wondering if BE's reliability could make for the price and speed difference if I take the 10M, when I could get 20 with any other cheap ISP (O2 or virgin for example)?

Thanks,
There is some misunderstanding there. Be do not have a 10Mbps product. They have 12 and 24Mbps ones.

It is also unlimited and not traffic managed, as opposed to the heavily managed O2. Sky is a possible competitor if Sky Unlimited is available on your exchange, but if it isn't, the Sky Connect service is dreadful.

You say you have had bad experience with Virgin yet seem to put it as a possible? Again, Virgin ADSLx is known to be very poor.

I suggest you go for the Be Unlimited package and downgrade in the first few days it it doesn't connect well above 12Mbps. Or if money is the main objective settle for the 12Mbps one to start with.

Don't forget to check TopCashBack and Quidco for cashback deals on Be, but be sure to follow the instructions about clearing cookies before going in to order.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 02-Aug-11 09:30:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Has anyone enquired about line length?

The original poster is talking of 10 and 20 Mbps like they are a foregone conclusion, if your line is only capable of 6Mbps using ADSL2+, then there will be no difference in connection speed between an ISP offering 12Meg and 24Meg.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 02-Aug-11 09:49:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Has anyone enquired about line length?

The original poster is talking of 10 and 20 Mbps like they are a foregone conclusion, if your line is only capable of 6Mbps using ADSL2+, then there will be no difference in connection speed between an ISP offering 12Meg and 24Meg.

I thought 6 Meg lines could get to 13/14 Meg?

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM ~ Connection Data
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 02-Aug-11 10:09:00
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

if your line is only capable of 6Mbps using ADSL2+

Read again, 6Meg using ADSL2+

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 02-Aug-11 10:09:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

/stands in corner

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM ~ Connection Data
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to