General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sp3ctre
(newbie) Tue 02-Aug-11 11:28:10
Print Post

Hew house- BT ADSL or another ISP?

[link to this post]

I currently have Virgin cable but am moving to a new house which is not cabled.

I am hoping at some point that our local exchange will be FTTC enabled and maybe they will roll out the 40Mb service to us. In the mean time I need to get some kind of ADSL service.

The online BT checker says I should get 2-3Mb, but Orange says 6Mb. I would've thought both services would be ADSL2+ as the exchanged is enabled, but I am not an expert.

Question is, if I want to ultimately be on a fast connection should I sign up with BT and hope FTTC gets rolled out or should I go with Orange?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 02-Aug-11 11:41:35
Print Post

Re: Hew house- BT ADSL or another ISP?

[re: sp3ctre] [link to this post]

Which exchange? Enabled for what?

Orange BB is now run by BT, so there won't be much difference.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User sp3ctre
(newbie) Tue 02-Aug-11 11:44:55
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Which exchange? Enabled for what?

Orange BB is now run by BT, so there won't be much difference.

Sorry, told you I wasn't an expert.. it is the Knaresborough exchange and the postcode is HG5 9LS. As far as I can see the exchange has ADSL2+ and I presume (not sure if i'm right) that all ADSL from there should be ADSL2+.

My report from the BT broadband checker seems to suggest 2Mb by ADSL, 4Mb by ADSL Max (no idea what that is) and 6Mb by ADSL2+.

I assume from this BT are basing their estimate on the standard ADSL estimate whereas Orange are taking the ADSL2+ estimate?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 02-Aug-11 11:50:06
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Oh yes there will

Orange BB is NOT ran by BT Retail, but a service provided by BT Wholesale under direction from Orange. Based on your statement Andrews & Arnold are the same as BT

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User sp3ctre
(newbie) Tue 02-Aug-11 11:53:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Oh yes there will

Orange BB is NOT ran by BT Retail, but a service provided by BT Wholesale under direction from Orange. Based on your statement Andrews & Arnold are the same as BT

Thanks for clarifying that. My dilemma is really that I ultimately want to end up on BT infinity if/when it is rolled out in my area, but in the mean time I need a stop-gap solution. I don't want to end up in an 18 month contract with Orange/TalkTalk only for BT to roll out infility and I am stuck in contract.

I realise that is by the by, as it is unlikely to be rolled out in the next 18 months but either way I need to choose a provider.

Sorry if I am asking silly questions, been on cable for donkeys years so not familiar with the ADSL situation.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 02-Aug-11 11:54:54
Print Post

maps.thinkbroadband.com

Can give an idea of what people are actually getting.

The 2Meg you mention is the fact that the fastest fixed speed service is 2Meg
ADSL Max is an up to 8Meg service, which if you ordered from BT or another provider using their services is what you would get.

Looking at our map, then 4 to 6Meg looks a reasonable range

As for ADSL 2+, Knaresborough exchange only offers up to 8Meg, unless you goto to an Opal reseller, or TalkTalk who provide ADSL2+

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User sp3ctre
(newbie) Tue 02-Aug-11 11:57:00
Print Post

maps.thinkbroadband.com

Can give an idea of what people are actually getting.

The 2Meg you mention is the fact that the fastest fixed speed service is 2Meg
ADSL Max is an up to 8Meg service, which if you ordered from BT or another provider using their services is what you would get.

Looking at our map, then 4 to 6Meg looks a reasonable range

As for ADSL 2+, Knaresborough exchange only offers up to 8Meg, unless you goto to an Opal reseller, or TalkTalk who provide ADSL2+

Cool, thanks for that... would you think there would be an advantage going for TalkTalk, or is the distance from the exchange likely not to make much difference?

If I took talktalk and our exchange went FTTC would they also provide fast internet or would it be a BT only option?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 02-Aug-11 12:01:36
Print Post

Yes, both BT & Orange will supply you with ADSL2+ WBC. So 5 - 6 Meg estimated.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 02-Aug-11 12:01:41
Print Post

Why BT Infinity specifically?

Other providers do offer a FTTC service, and in 6 months you might have from the big names

BT - Infinity now
TalkTalk - Fibre Boost available now
Sky - likely to launched
O2/Be making noises

There is no knowing whose service will be the best. My advice go for a service that is a short contract, or cheap to walk away from. If you went for BT now, and then wanted someone elses FTTC when it rolls-out you might be stuck for another 9 months.

If roll-out is 18 months away, pick the provider that most suits current needs? With phone lines, just because BT runs the phone line does not make them neccessarily the best provider. Depends on what you want

Standard User sp3ctre
(newbie) Tue 02-Aug-11 12:04:50
Print Post

Why BT Infinity specifically?

Other providers do offer a FTTC service, and in 6 months you might have from the big names

BT - Infinity now
TalkTalk - Fibre Boost available now
Sky - likely to launched
O2/Be making noises

There is no knowing whose service will be the best. My advice go for a service that is a short contract, or cheap to walk away from. If you went for BT now, and then wanted someone elses FTTC when it rolls-out you might be stuck for another 9 months.

If roll-out is 18 months away, pick the provider that most suits current needs? With phone lines, just because BT runs the phone line does not make them neccessarily the best provider. Depends on what you want

The only reason I said Infinity is it is the only one I knew about. I just want the fastest available really.

All of the ones I am looking at seem to be 18 month contracts. TalkTalk and Orange both look ok, but either way it seems 18 months is the min (unless I missed something). My guess is it would be worth the gamble on 18 month considering the exchange is not on the list to be upgraded in the next 6 months.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to