General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rtcw
(newbie) Sat 06-Aug-11 14:29:17
Print Post

Which ISP does not charge for connection fee?

[link to this post]

I'd like ISP that is cheap (Under £20 per month), must be able to provide at least 10mbps because my connection can only handle 6-8mbps and it must be unlimited.

I'm looking at BE, but it has connection charge, which I don't want.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sat 06-Aug-11 14:51:05
Print Post

Re: Which ISP does not charge for connection fee?

[re: rtcw] [link to this post]

As a matter of interest what providers are in your exchange?

Anyway what's wrong with BE Value? (if you can get it)

It's £17.00 a month and no connection fee apparently ..... link

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 06-Aug-11 15:10:09
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Apprentice:

Or BE Unlimited (the 12 month contract version has no connection fee, and is £3 a month cheaper than the 3 month contract).

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User rtcw
(newbie) Sat 06-Aug-11 15:15:11
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Apprentice:
As a matter of interest what providers are in your exchange?

There's nothing wrong with BE, I was looking at BE's value 12 month contact, but someone told me that since I currently use Virgin Media, and I don't have BT's telephone number so I have to pay BT for to get my BT line re-connected, I think it's about £60 which I don't want.

My exchange is Victoria, so I have plenty of options available.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 06-Aug-11 15:24:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by rtcw:
but someone told me that since I currently use Virgin Media, and I don't have BT's telephone number so I have to pay BT for to get my BT line re-connected, I think it's about £60 which I don't want.

Well that will apply no matter which ISP you go with (all, apart from Vigin Media cable TV based products require an active telephone line connected to the local BT telephone exchange).
Needing a telephone line is not something which is unique to BE, all ADSL based broadband products need a telephone line (that's how they work).
Plus; I think the telephone line re-connection fee will be something closer to £130.
You'll also need to sign up to a telephone provider for calls and line rental (so factor in that cost too), which doesn't have to be the same company who provides your ADSL.
Then, there's the usual 12 or 18 month minimum contract for the phone line to consider.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Edited by adebov (Sat 06-Aug-11 15:26:59)

Standard User rtcw
(newbie) Sat 06-Aug-11 15:34:58
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adebov:
but someone told me that since I currently use Virgin Media, and I don't have BT's telephone number so I have to pay BT for to get my BT line re-connected, I think it's about £60 which I don't want.

Well that will apply no matter which ISP you go with (all, apart from Vigin Media cable TV based products require an active telephone line connected to the local BT telephone exchange).
Needing a telephone line is not something which is unique to BE, all ADSL based broadband products need a telephone line (that's how they work).
Plus; I think the telephone line re-connection fee will be something closer to £130.
You'll also need to sign up to a telephone provider for calls and line rental (so factor in that cost too), which doesn't have to be the same company who provides your ADSL.
Then, there's the usual 12 or 18 month minimum contract for the phone line to consider.

I already have VOIP. There is no ISP that has free re-connection? I think I'll pass and stay with my ISP, virgin.
Standard User TMCR
(learned) Sat 06-Aug-11 16:43:37
Print Post

I already have VOIP. There is no ISP that has free re-connection? I think I'll pass and stay with my ISP, virgin.

VOIP will only work if you have a phone line, bringing the ISP's services to your home.

Virgin use cable, TV, phone and Internet all come down one coax cable. If you want to change to a different provider then you must have a phone line, which is they way the new provider will supply your service.

Most ISP's don't install phone lines, you need Openreach, via BT, for that. I'm in the same boat, I want out from Virgin due to their terrible (or rather lack of) customer service, but I am not able to shell out line installation costs to get a new phone line put in.

That's the biggest headache with cable, if you have it, you tend to be stuck with it or have to pay to move.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Virgin Cable (L) at home
eclipse internet Business Bronze at work
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 06-Aug-11 16:51:14
Print Post

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TMCR:
, but I am not able to shell out line installation costs to get a new phone line put in.

BT are doing free line install if you take phone line rental, voice calls and internet from them (perfect if you want, and have available, FTTC).
It's not obvious on their page, but if you choose a bundled package and ask for a new line, it does tell you (just before you get to the checkout page) that the line install will be charged at £130 then immediately credited back.

I've just had to pay £120 (upfront line rental for 12 months) plus £6 (delivery charge for the BT home hub) and that's it......For £126 I get a new phone line (which will, no doubt, utilize an existing phone cable - there aren't too many houses without BT phone line wires coming into the property), a BT vDSL router (suitable for FTTC), a BT home hub, and BT Infinity Unlimited with free voice calls and the first three months of broadband free (after that; it's £28 a month for the broadband, with the next line rental bill not due for another year).

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 06-Aug-11 17:01:13
Print Post

There is no ISP that has free re-connection?

Yes; BT (certain packages), but only if you order a new phone line (£120 upfront for 12 months line rental, or around £14 a month if you don't pay up front) AND take their broadband as well.

If you're looking for someone to give you a free phone line (knowing you won't use it for voice calls) AND give you free line rental, AND give you free broadband connection (i.e. all they'll charge you is the monthly broadband costs) you can forget it.
Telephone companies (and ISPs) are set up to make a profit (they are businesses rather than registered charities, after all) and they still have to pay BT for rental of the wires supplying your broadband.
Even BT Retail (from whom you'd buy the phone line rental, calls and broadband) have to pay BT Openreach to install the line and BT Wholesale for the broadband.

ADSL works by sending the signal over wires, someone has to pay to install these wires (£130) and pay for the monthly wholesale rental charge (something close to £8).
Without the wires, ADSL doesn't work (it's a bit like asking if someone can supply gas to your home without using a pipe) and there are no 'free phone line pixies' around.

Given you only want to pay £20 a month, that doesn't give the ISP much profit in which to pay BT to install a line (£130) and pay BT for the line rental (about £8), then pay BT to provision/connect the broadband, then pay BT Wholesale monthly rental on the broadband service.
What if you only stay for a year? You'd have paid the ISP a total of £240 and they'd have had to pay BT something line £280 (a net loss of £40 and not really why they're in business).

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Edited by adebov (Sat 06-Aug-11 17:02:38)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 06-Aug-11 17:15:30
Print Post

If BE Broadband and Fixed line is available in your area, a set up fee of £85.00 will be charged to install a new line at your premises.

And then, BE VALUE + BASIC LANDLINE = £27.00 /month

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Sat 06-Aug-11 17:43:25)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to