General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Andrew_Curry
(newbie) Wed 10-Aug-11 12:05:14
Print Post

Sky Or BT or Other?

[link to this post]

I am currently getting broadband from Orange. I get a speed of 6.5Mb/s on a "up to 20Mb/s" package. 

The package is unlimited (though subject to what some people think is unfair, fair usage policy)

I pay £20.50, which includes line rental, broadband and free calls to uk landlines, so as long as I don't make any mobile calls from landline it costs me nothing extra.

I will be moving from Orange when my contract ends in March 2011.
I have been with them for over a decade, since they were Freeserve but recent problems have made me decide to move.

I was on Orange LLU but they gave recently moved me back to BT Wholesale.

Two providers are starting to interest me. BT and Sky.

1. BT. 
I am thinking if migrating to FTTC and BT infinity is showing available in my area. I am only about 300 metres from the cabinet. Part of me wonders whether I need the extra speed and if 6.5Mb/s is enough. But I am very interested, plus it would give me access to BT's many wireless spots all over. Also, and this is a very important factor which interests me, they are advertising no limit useage on some of their higher packages. 

I always manage my broadband and try to do a lot of my downloading during off peak times, even leaving computer on overnight. I have never been throttled because of excessive useage and am very carefully, but still don't like the fact that I have to be careful. 

2. Sky Broadband.
I am already a Sky+ HD customer.
Several things interest me with Sky broadband. The main one is Sky Anytime+.

I would love a service which will allow me to download programmes direct to my TV without my having to plug my computer to my TV. It's also handy if you miss the first episode of a new series and thus didn't record it.

I would love to be able to watch other services like iplayer this way, and whilst it's not available yet, how likely do you think it will be to come sometime soon?

Sky have a website up for FTTC trials, how likely is it that this will become active anytime soon, perhaps in the next few months?

Sky operate LLU which is hard to change from should you wish to leave. Would I have to use LLU for Sky broadband and if not would I still be able to get truly unlimited service that they are advertising?

The truly unlimited service defiantly interests me, but I an curious as to whether it and anytime are available without LLU.

Orange currently take care of my line rental so technically I am not a BT customer, they are. To use Sky without LLU would I have to return to the old days of having a BT line and phone and paying them quite a bit for nothing? Whet are my options here? Should I just forget all of this and go Sky LLU?

Anyway to sum up I am interested in anytime+ and truly unlimited services with no FUP. 

Do you recommend avoiding LLU and if so how do I go about avoiding it yet still getting the services.

FTTC interests me, but isn't essential.

I would love to hear your recommendations.
Andrew.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 10-Aug-11 12:23:03
Print Post

Re: Sky Or BT or Other?

[re: Andrew_Curry] [link to this post]

truly unlimited service

https://www.bethere.co.uk/web/beportal/homepage
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 10-Aug-11 12:52:21
Print Post

Two types of LLU

Shared LLU easy to get away from
Full LLU (Sky and TalkTalk) harder by virtue that the phone line is handled by them too, advantage in price. Must be on this to get the Sky Anytime+

Avoid Sky non-LLU (Sky Connect)

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Aug-11 19:34:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by Andrew_Curry:
I am currently getting broadband from Orange. I get a speed of 6.5Mb/s on a "up to 20Mb/s" package. 

I have been with them for over a decade, since they were Freeserve but recent problems have made me decide to move.

I was on Orange LLU but they have recently moved me back to BT Wholesale.
Hi Andrew, what is your exchange and does it have 21CN WBC ?

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Community/B...

Orange WBC 20 Meg. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Edited by E7er (Wed 10-Aug-11 20:06:40)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 13-Aug-11 12:03:41
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
truly unlimited service

https://www.bethere.co.uk/web/beportal/homepage

yeah exactly