General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User StuartUK
(newbie) Wed 10-Aug-11 12:06:18
Print Post

Need an ISP - Gaming & Not Throttled

[link to this post]

Am moving house next month, so need to get a new ISP.
Ages ago, had o2 LEGACY broadband, so was able to download & play online games (say Call of Duty which uses peer to peer protocol).
Service was good, ran around 4.5mb for my area, all was good smile

Moved in with my partner, switched her from BT to o2 (Oct 2010), didn't realise/wasn't told that 'o2' no longer provided real broadband, and that there 'All-Rounder' package was a 24/7 rubbish throttled connection.
So since October, trying to download anything is hit and miss, watching 'iplayer' through the PS3 on the telly sucks (buffers, pixelated), and trying to play Call of Duty MW2 is beyond a joke. o2 said there traffic management system is [censored], nothing they can do!

So.... moving to a new area which states 1.7km from exchange (am guessing cable length is around 3.5 miles).. The exchange (http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SWLLD ) caters for Sky / Orange / o2 / craptalk and BT.
I want to play online games without being routed to foreign destinations, i want to download stuff after midnight, and the wife wants to watch eastenders on iplayer through the PS3 before midnight, so can anyone recommend who to use ??? i'd be looking at there phone service too i think.... was looking to spend max £25 per month for the line + BB
Cheers smile smile
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 10-Aug-11 12:16:28
Print Post

Re: Need an ISP - Gaming & Not Throttled

[re: StuartUK] [link to this post]

go to BE mate the best ISP around

https://www.bethere.co.uk/web/beportal/homepage
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 10-Aug-11 12:20:36
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

BE Value £17.00 per month with BE Landlane £10.00 per month

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User StuartUK
(newbie) Wed 10-Aug-11 12:40:04
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

trying to keep it under £25 based on competition smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 10-Aug-11 12:49:14
Print Post

Max £25 for line rental and broadband - pushing things, it will always be a cheap as chips.

MW2 played perfectly ok on a PS3 and Xbox 360 on a talktalk LLU line, as does YouTube HD material, and they have traffic management.

Sky if you take their bundle might make the price point you desire.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 10-Aug-11 15:20:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by StuartUK:
trying to keep it under £25 based on competition smile

Sky with landline and sky talk plus sky unlimited would come within your £25 comfortably I think. Sky Unlimited is truly unlimited and not shaped and generally very good response times. Not quite in the same league as Be but not that far off. And you don't even need sky tv these days to get the phone and broadband.

However, if you get line rental and broadband from then they will fully unbundle the line which makes it a bit more difficult and time consuming to move to another supplier. To avoid this you could get phone rental from BT, then sky talk and broadband on to that.
Standard User StuartUK
(newbie) Wed 10-Aug-11 15:39:58
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

cheers for the replys peeps smile
Not worried about the moving between providers.
Sky is catching my attention based on its broadband, so will probably go down that route...

1st hurdle is the line rental, as am moving into a house which has been empty for a month, so the existing telephone line which is already there, am guessing Sky will want to charge me a connection just to press a button ? (residential lines tend to get stopped, not ceased )
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 10-Aug-11 19:09:47
Print Post

I just bought a full sky package which was a move from Virgin, so a new phone line was required. Sky charged £10 for the new line as it was a complete package - tv, talk and bb.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User StuartUK
(learned) Thu 11-Aug-11 11:34:49
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I was looking at the Plusnet Phone and Broadband, as they say they can do Fibre at 33mb, for £16.49 per month (£11.99 for phone).....
However, that comes with a 40gb limit, although limit not imposed from Midnight to 8am.....
But reading into there Traffic Management, would appear there just as rubbish as 'o2', and throttle everything 24/7 , so P2P through the early hours would make a 33mb line useless, and given some games work on the same/similar protocol, it would still be useles! frown

Shame Sky dont do Fibre! (Cardiff)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 11-Aug-11 12:11:11
Print Post

Peer to peer filesharing is very different to COD game hosting....do you thnk they are the same thing?

I know of no game that during online play (particularly FPS) that uses a torrent type protocol. Yes they may both use UDP packets, but they can be differentiated and Plusnet and others do this. Hence why gaming is listed seperately on their throttling Q&A

Also COD when playing console really only needs about 64 Kilo bits per second (0.064Mbps), and even the PC with more playiers can probably be hosted with 128Kbps speed

There is no need to go chasing multi mega byte upstream connections for gaming, a bog standard 0.5Meg download, 0.25Meg upload will suffice for gaming, unless you are attempting to host a gaming league match, when you really should be using a paid for server centrally located.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to