General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User commonroad
(newbie) Thu 18-Aug-11 17:40:10
Print Post

looking for a better service

[link to this post]

Hi All
Ive been with madasafish for a good few years now. Ive only really had a problem the last few weeks with them. First the internet connection went down, they ran all of the tests from their end, they said it was something to do with the line, and would send an engineer round. He came, checked the line, changed the white box in our house, then said we needed a new router. I duly bought a new router, tried installling it , everything fine until it came for passwords/usernames. 5 times I rang over the course of one evening to their tech line, on the phone for nearly 2.5 hours probably more, I was on hold for a least 20-30 mins each time.
I eventually was given the correct username and password, router booted up and we were back on line, after 9 days.
The BT engineer said we should get speeds of approx 7-7.5 Mb, over the last few days, we are only getting speeds of less than 2.2Mb, which in theory should give us download speeds of around 270Kpbs, which we are not acheiving at all, I tried to download a file last night, by download box was reading between 50-108Kbps

Ive had a look around at different ISP providers, and there seems to be a big discrepancy as to exactly what speeds I can get on the line. Madasafish says 7Mb, Orange say 17Mb, BT say 19.5Mb. I just checked the neighbour 2 doors away, and they get 12.7Mb with Talk Talk.

Its not a lot to ask for is it? To get a reliable connection with a good speed. I pay twice as much as for my package, as a lot of rival companies are offering. Even BT, is roughly the same price with BB and Line rental included.

Ive now spoken to Madasafish, and they are now checking the line, which is going to take another 2-3 days. So in theory, I am going to be without a 'useable' connection for at least 2 weeks.

Anyone have any ideas
Thanks
Andy
Standard User john2007
(legend) Thu 18-Aug-11 17:43:49
Print Post

Re: looking for a better service

[re: commonroad] [link to this post]

Post your router stats. See http://kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 18-Aug-11 19:52:07
Print Post

What LLU providers are in your exchange and has it been upgraded to 21CN?

Check and let us know what SamKnows says.

See what result the BT Performance Tester gives.

Alastair

omadasafisho

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User commonroad
(newbie) Thu 18-Aug-11 23:04:38
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

My exchange is as follows
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WMEV
Standard User commonroad
(newbie) Thu 18-Aug-11 23:11:55
Print Post

Just ran the speedtester

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1707 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps

These are the results, at 23.11 at night
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 18-Aug-11 23:57:23
Print Post

I think you will fiond that the copy IP Profile held by the Plusnet system your Madasfish connection is now on is stuck at 2000kbps or so. This possibility never seems to occur to their support.

I suggest a short post in the Plusnet forum asking a rep to check this thread and see if they agree.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 19-Aug-11 00:02:36
Print Post

If you can also get your attenuation and SNR stats that would help more (odd data might indicate a problem), but it does sound like a profile reset is in order.

Go with Rob's idea:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet.html

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM ~ Connection Data
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 19-Aug-11 00:13:31
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Might be an idea for him to check out the current Plusnet packages and prices as well.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User commonroad
(newbie) Fri 19-Aug-11 00:28:40
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Hello
Ive taken your advice and posted this post in the Plusnet forum, hopefully it will get sorted.
Ive tried to log into the TP-link page that I used to set the router up, but it wont let me access the page. Im hoping its not the router, as its brand new, we shall wait and see

Thanks guys
Andy
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 19-Aug-11 01:02:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Not quite sure how the Madasafish to Plusnet change over happens. I suppose they are seperate billing entities (wholesale and retail).

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM ~ Connection Data
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to