General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mje_uk
(newbie) Fri 19-Aug-11 14:25:10
Print Post

LLU versus non-LLU ISP

[link to this post]

I am currently connected via LLU, originally through Nildram, absorbed by Talk-Talk.
I intend to change ISP with two serious contenders :
1) "Be", who does have LLU presence in my exchange (Berkhamsted)
2) "Zen", who does not
I am at some 4km (crow flies) from the exchange and hence would not expect to see any significant improvement in speed via an LLU connection with "Be" (which would presumably be ADSL2+), compared to a BT ADSL Max connection (which is presumably what Zen would provide).
However, would I see a better stability on a poor line via an LLU connection, e.g. not continually resynching ?
I am not necessarily asking for advice on Be versus Zen, but the more general question of whether I would be better off on an LLU connection at a long distance from the exchange ?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 19-Aug-11 14:28:12
Print Post

Re: LLU versus non-LLU ISP

[re: mje_uk] [link to this post]

Impossible to say, other than if the line is ADSL2+ now and stable then it should be under the new ISP too.
Zen will have the IP profile system from BT Wholesale, which can be a pain if the line flaps around in speed.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mje_uk
(newbie) Fri 19-Aug-11 14:47:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for that. I should have said that, at present, the line does flap around in speed and hence my question whether LLU or non-LLU would be best. Sounds from what you say that I might be safer with LLU.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Aug-11 15:23:09
Print Post

If you can post your stats, we should be able to offer better advice

Be* Unlimited
Standard User mje_uk
(newbie) Fri 19-Aug-11 15:31:49
Print Post

[re: nredwood] [link to this post]

If only I could give meaningful stats ... they vary so much.
Currently I am getting :

Rx
Noise Margin: 8.4 dB
Connection Rate: 3776 Kbps
Line Attenuation: 52.0 dB
Power: 19.0 dBm
Max Rate: 3808 Kbps

SuperFrames: 181483
SF (CRC) Errors: 11797
Reed Solomon: 0
RS Corrected: 0
RS Un-Corrected: 0
HEC: 11399
Errored Seconds: 289642
Severe ES: 3833

Interleave Depth: 1
Bitswaps: 0

Tx
Noise Margin: 9.0 dB
Connection Rate: 192 Kbps
Line Attenuation: 27.5 dB
Power: 11.6 dBm
Max Rate: 224 Kbps

SuperFrames: 184965
SF (CRC) Errors: 1
Reed Solomon: 0
RS Corrected: 0
RS Un-Corrected: 0
HEC: 0
Errored Seconds: 0
Severe ES: 0

Interleave Depth: 1
Bitswaps: 0

(the error rates relate to a 50 min period).
The Tx sync rate very often drifts down to 64kbs

Any advice gratefully received.
Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Fri 19-Aug-11 15:54:20
Print Post

That low upstream (TX) connection rate is a typical symptom of poor internal wiring.

Is there any audible noise on the line? How is everything connected up to the BT master socket? (extensions, phones, sky boxes etc.)
Standard User mje_uk
(newbie) Fri 19-Aug-11 16:43:52
Print Post

[re: GeeTee] [link to this post]

Thanks for that comment GeeTee .... I too am very puzzled by my low Tx rate, which I have most (but not all) of the time. I can occasionally synch all day at even Rx/Tx 4200/700 kbs (which is good for my distance from exchange) but then for no apparent reason the Tx rate wil drop to 64kbs leaving the Rx rate almost the same.

I've been round this problem till I'm exhausted with my current ISP, who merely changes my profile at each complaint ... but I believe that I have a problem in the exchange (or my overhead line where it goes through trees).

In answer to your query :
- I hear v little noise on line doing 17070/opt 2
- No change in performance if I bypass internal wiring and connect modem straight to master socket
- ditto if I connect directly to test socket (this would also bypass my iPlate faceplate)
- interestingly, lifting my phone receiver or receiving a call can, when things are bad, cause the Rx SNR margin to immediately improve by up to 5dB. Conversely, occasionally, this can also cause the ADSL connection to drop ! Before you ask it, yes, I do have my filter correctly connected, and I have changed it several times (currently using ADSL Nation). This behaviour has been suggested to me as indicating a poor connection somewhere which is improved by the higher current flow when receiver lifted.
- the Rx SNR margin plot (Routerstats) is violently jagged for much of the time
- Oh ... and I have tried changing the modem from the current DG834PN (which should be good on a long line, so I believe).

The bottom line is that my current ISP does not seem to intervene very well with BT and hence my desire to change ISP, and hence my enquiry about whether it matters whether or not I change to an ISP using LLU or using BT wholesale.

Thanks again for your comment
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 19-Aug-11 17:12:44
Print Post

Symptomatic of an HR (High Resistance) fault somewhere I would say.

If you have money, or even without if you don't really use your connection in the daytime Mon-Fri, your best bet in my opinion is Be LLU vai AAISP.

That way you get one of the best broadband connections through an ISP well known to be the best problem solver.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User mje_uk
(newbie) Fri 19-Aug-11 17:27:21
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for that RobertoS .... I hadn't heard of AAISP before, but certainly like the look of their website.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 19-Aug-11 17:33:11
Print Post

Comparisons.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to