General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User paul9619
(learned) Mon 22-Aug-11 21:22:16
Print Post

Need to update my Broadband package

[link to this post]

I am currently in a market 1 area for broadband (Great!!), so no LLU on my exchange and also no cable options.

I am currently with PlusNet and my package is Broadband & Phone (Line rental and Free Evening/weekend calls)

I am paying £30 a month all in and my usage limit is 10gb

I am looking to increase this usage to either 40/60gb a month or unlimited if possible.

My options are limited, but Talk Talk seem to be the cheapest coming in at around £28 for unlimited phone & broadband.

Anyone got any other suggestions as Talk Talk don't seem to get great reviews on here.

Not sure if I could ring PlusNet and threaten with cancellation and see if they offer anything??

Any advice appreciated

Paul
Standard User epyon
(member) Mon 22-Aug-11 21:25:47
Print Post

Re: Need to update my Broadband package

[re: paul9619] [link to this post]

Plusnet offer

10GB Value
60GB Extra
80GB not sure what its called but you can get it if you speak to canceling peoples.

BE*Unlimited
My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by epyon (Mon 22-Aug-11 21:26:42)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 22-Aug-11 23:46:01
Print Post

TalkTalk LLU gets poor reviews, but not fully explained, as I know several people perfectly happy with it. Despite thoes, I would be very reluctant.

But you say no LLU at your exchange, so it would be a TT BT-Wholesale based service. Stay well clear!!!!!Plusnet do have a retentions department ... tongue. They are able to offer deals. In particular if you can find a comparable or better product at lower cost on your exchange they will undercut it. "Find a cheaper price for broadband, and we'll at least match it".

So TT at £28?

I assume you are aware of the overnight unlimited period on your existing package?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Aug-11 00:08:14
Print Post

Without LLU availability your options are, indeed, limited.
They're also quite limited if you're looking for an all-in package at around the same price level (around £30).

I would have suggested, in no particular order: -
1. Plusnet. Currently they are offering 60GB broadband (unlimited off-peak) for £21.49/month (in Market 1 exchanges) - £14.99/month for the first 3 months, plus £11.99/month line rental (including evening & weekend calls), so only £2.50 a month more than you're currently paying, but with a much higher usage allowance.

2. ADSL24 (£19.90/month for 30GB peak/unlimited off-peak; plus £12.90 line rental - no inclusive calls but calls are cheaper than BT and with no call connection charges - BT charge 12.5p for connecting each chargeable call).
ADSL24 are shortly due to launch an all-inclusive calls, line rental and broadband product.

3. BT - a bit more expensive than the other two, but for £38/month you get unlimited internet usage and free anytime voice calls.

Wouldn't recommend Talk-Talk unless your internet usage doesn't really rely on high download speeds (which appears to be one of their problem areas).
I don't really know anyone who has a Talk-Talk connection provided via BT Wholesale (i.e. not using Talk-Talk exchange equipment).

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Aug-11 08:49:37
Print Post

Hi, I can recommend Orange, Iíve been with them fourteen months, itís like being with BT and paying Orange prices. If you already have Orange mobile phone contract, you get £5 per month off the broadband price. wink

http://shop.orange.co.uk/broadband/compare-all/ If session closed, click again.

Orange WBC 20 Meg. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 23-Aug-11 08:59:27
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Cheers for the replies,

I will firstly look at upgrading my plus net account via the cancellations department. Hopefully, they will give me a better deal.

I will let you know how I get on.

Paul
Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 23-Aug-11 11:17:40
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Best of luck!

If you need any advice on the ADSL24 product just ask smile

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Aug-11 17:11:52
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Adsl24:
Best of luck!

If you need any advice on the ADSL24 product just ask smile

Not too relevant for me (although it's always useful to know), but do you have any pre-launch idea of pricing for your combined ADSL/phone/calls packages, and are they exclusive to your LLU products, or also available on BTW products?

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
Standard User woweebert
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 23-Aug-11 17:44:15
Print Post

TalkTalk don't do a unlimited option on resold BT also like many of the other major ISP they tend to not provide enough capacity on there resold BT network ( O2 , Sky , Virgin ect ) , even so , things have , or seem to have improved allot in resent years but i would still advise not to go with TalkTalk if you don't have there LLU equipment in your exchange .

With TalkTalk , not as bad as some might have you believe
  Print Thread

Jump to