General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User peacdun
(newbie) Tue 23-Aug-11 10:14:34
Print Post

HELP!!!!

[link to this post]

Can some one please help with my Broadband nightmare?!

I've been with Tiscali since they were taken over by talktalk and then things went down hill.
I started getting disconnection issues and when I called then they just kept asking for me to move my router around the house and then they would run some tests....when the tests came back they just kept chucking routers at the problem and received 3 routers in under a month!......anyway I'm moving as I've had enough and need some advise.

I live in a village 0.33 miles from the exchange, I'm looking for an Unlimited package as I would consider my internet usage as high, 4 family members constantly using the internet downloading and streaming. Also need a phone line package.
The providers that come up for my area are BT, Orange, O2 and Virgin but reading various sites they're all as bad as each other, I was hoping to get some advise from people who actually use the services and make a decision from that...........thank you all in advance.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Tue 23-Aug-11 10:24:38
Print Post

Re: HELP!!!!

[re: peacdun] [link to this post]

If you have O2 LLU (see http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search ) then Be would be a good choice.
Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Tue 23-Aug-11 10:30:19
Print Post

It may be a good idea to post your exchange location so that members can see the full range of ISPs available.

It is also well worth indicating your use of ADSL as some ISPs are more suitable than others depending on your needs.You will tend to find that on forums people report issues and not good experiences so it can give a distorted view of any particular ISP. There are a lot of good ones about.smile

Sadoldman

Just a tad sad..a wee bit old...wink

don@thinkbroadband.com
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User peacdun
(newbie) Tue 23-Aug-11 10:41:38
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Thanks john2007 the details for my exchange from the link you sent didn't come back with a great deal I'm afraid.
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SLCPL
Standard User peacdun
(newbie) Tue 23-Aug-11 10:48:48
Print Post

[re: Sadoldman] [link to this post]

Thanks Sadoldman.
I've posted the link for my exchange but everything seems to have a red cross next to it so I don't know how helpful it can be?
You do find that a lot and its the reason why I started this thread for people to let me know who they're with and what their services is like........they can't be ALL bad? LOL (hopefully they'll have the same circumstances as myself ie 4 people in a household, village dweller)

Nice chatting
Standard User john2007
(legend) Tue 23-Aug-11 11:05:54
Print Post

No LLU. The compensation has to be that you live in a pretty town.

What you want will not be cheap. Can you organize the household to download video/TV overnight?

Have a look at PlusNet.
Moderator Sadoldman
(moderator) Tue 23-Aug-11 11:57:41
Print Post

Ooops! Speed read fail....most certainly not a senior moment.tongue You did indicate usage.blush

Most certainly not all are bad, the flavour of the month and the cheapest for downloading a lot tends to be LLU which is not available unfortunately.

The suggestion for Plusnet is worth checking out but you need to view the different products that are offered and the limitations imposed on certain protocols on each package.

The free overnight" all you can eat" helps keep prices down if you can organise things that way for large downloads.

Sadoldman

Just a tad sad..a wee bit old...wink

don@thinkbroadband.com
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Aug-11 12:06:21
Print Post

My parents were ex-Tiscali via Talk Talk and full LLU i.e the phone line was with Talk Talk as well

PlusNet are one of the few that will do a migration for full LLU and although the migration wasn't without problems as OpenReach screwed up the jumpering at the exchange, PlusNet were excellent and kept my Dad updated throughout and they are now very happy on PlusNet

Be* Unlimited
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 23-Aug-11 13:50:55
Print Post

[re: nredwood] [link to this post]

I don't think he is on LLU Nicola, unless this is another exchange recently done by TT and samknows hasn't caught up.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 23-Aug-11 14:03:27
Print Post

Whilst I agree with everything that has been said to you so far, I have two thoughts.

First, from samknows it is almost certain you are an a BT Wholesale circuit. Given that, I think whatever is causing your disconnections will stay even after a move. You may just find a more helpful ISP who will try more effectively to solve the problem.

If you can find and post your line stats, see here for help, we will probably be able to help you with tracing the fault.

A check using the BT speed tester will confirm you are on a BT Wholesale circuit, and also give further useful info if you post the full results as far as the end of the upstream speeds.

Second, as well as Plusnet, you might find the vivaciti Family 30 worth considering.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to