General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User danny2005
(member) Fri 26-Aug-11 18:01:20
Print Post

O2 LLU to Sky or BT Infinity ?

[link to this post]

Hello folks.

Sorry for the long winded post but I just wanted to give as much info as possible

It's been a few years since I've 'delved' into Broadband too much. I've been with O2 (Standard Old Package, i.e. Unlimited everything) for a number of years at 3 different properties but can get no more than a 8mb connection. Due to leaving O2 Mobile Network recently our package will increase by £5 a month to £14.50, currently £9.50.

This has got me wondering about increased speeds elsewhere. Sky is tempting due to it's lower price of £10 a month for unlimited (No Sky TV) but there checker states:

'Estimated Access Line Speed: 5.0Mbps - 11.4Mbps'

I do not want to move to Sky if I'm going to get less than the 8mb I get with O2 but being able to get 11mb+ would be an improvement I guess. Can anyone tell what I may get with them from my O2 Box stats?

SamKnows states: 'You are approximately 1.59km from the exchange. Note that this is the straight line distance'

Uptime: 65 days, 21:39:48
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,217 / 10,284
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,200 / 8,183
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 98.34 / 210.70
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 18.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 25.0 / 43.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.0 / 6.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 12 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 4 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 319 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 17,461 / 13,109,822
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 17,461 / 28,399
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 164,778 / 24,514

I pay Post Office £12.25 a month for Home Phone which I don't use only to get the Broadband, there is no long contract period. Sky Home Phone is the same at £12.25 a month so no problem moving there, and I'd get a new Wireless N router as opposed to the O2 Box II i've had for sometime.

My exchange (Chapel End - CMCHAP) has recently been enabled for FTTC which is why BT Infinity attracted me although it would come at a cost (£28 a month i believe + £13.90 Line rental), but the 38.7mb/10.7mb estimate would be pleasing for a user like myself. I download/stream from various sources and my son also uses Xbox Live most days and we also use Wi-fi for our Android Phones. I have read BT throttle at certain times of the day, how does the throttling affect P2P and Xbox Live?

Any help and advice would be appreciated, whilst I knew a little about Broadband 3-4 years back, family and home life has taken over so I'm not at all clued up like I used to be.

Your thoughts are most welcome

Cheers, Dan

O2 Broadband
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 26-Aug-11 18:42:15
Print Post

Re: O2 LLU to Sky or BT Infinity ?

[re: danny2005] [link to this post]

With your attenuation (43.5dB) the quoted "Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,217 / 10,284" is probably not far off.
If you were to switch to a higher speed O2 package (or to another ADSL2+ provider which has a cap higher than 8Mbps - e.g. Sky, BE) you'd probably see a sync somewhere around 10 to 12Mbps (maybe a little more).
So you need to decide if it's worth paying more for around a 25% speed increase.

You can get FTTC (either BT's "Infinity" product, or "fibre" from one of the many other ISPs which use Openreach's FTTC product), but like you say it's a little more expensive.
BT are not the only ISP to offer FTTC (even though their TV adverts are deliberately worded to make people think Infinity "only from BT" is, indeed, the only way to get fibre). Unfortunately BT's Infinity product is one of the cheaper ones (so you're, pretty much, going to be looking around the £28/month price point).
Talk-Talk also do "fibre", at a cost of £10 on top of their normal prices (making it £3.50/month cheaper than BT's Infinity and £1.30/month cheaper than BT's line rental), although I can't comment on the performance of the Talk-Talk fibre product (there are enough complaints about their regular ADSL products to make me worried about their ability to provide a decent fibre product).
BT's line rental can be had for £10 a month, but you have to pay each year up-front.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware

Edited by adebov (Fri 26-Aug-11 18:45:46)

Standard User danny2005
(member) Fri 26-Aug-11 19:15:31
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

Hi Ade, thanks for your reply.

I definately do not want to go to anyone else, certainly not TalkTalk lol.

As for 'So you need to decide if it's worth paying more for around a 25% speed increase.' I didn't get that bit sorry, if I were to go to Sky and possibly get the 10-12mb you mention may be obtainable, then it would only cost me £7.50-£10.00 a month with their current offers (plus line rental £12.25) as opposed to O2 which is due to go up to £14.50 this month for an 8mb connection. Maybe you mean move to a 'new' o2 package (throttles/limited downloads) which would cost more?

If I do decide that I'd prefer the faster 40mb Fibre then BT would win that hands down as £28 a month is as much as I'd like to pay really, there aren't that many unlimited services out there these days for a 'reasonable' amount.

My only concern is that the throttling may effect me at some point with BT. So really all I need now is any info on BT's throttling of P2P and Xbox Live etc.

For example: with O2's 8mb connection, on average I can download via P2P at 800-900kbps without being throttled due to being on the old style package. With BT Infinity and a 38mb connection, what will my 'Off Peak' download speeds be, and also when they are throttled during peak hours?

O2 8mb = 800-900kbps at all times

Sky 20mb = Not throttled I believe so should maybe get a slightly higher download speed as O2?

BT Infinity Unlimited = ???kbs/mbs Peak

BT Infinity Unlimited = ???kbs/mbs Off Peak (After Midnight I think)

It states on BT site:

'We manage these restrictions daily based on the demands on the network, but downstream restrictions will typically be in place 4pm - midnight on weekdays and 9am - midnight on the weekend. Upstream restrictions may be in place at other times.'

But doesn't go into detail much.

Cheers

O2 Broadband

Edited by danny2005 (Fri 26-Aug-11 19:17:12)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 26-Aug-11 19:37:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by danny2005:
With BT Infinity and a 38mb connection, what will my 'Off Peak' download speeds be, and also when they are throttled during peak hours?

I won't be in a position to answer for another 10 days (when my Infinity goes live - hopefully, and assuming BT don't mess it up a second time).

Most reports on here suggest pretty much full speed at most times with only 'torrents' suffering from throttling by BT (with peak time speeds reported to be very low).
Allegedly; BT don't throttle normal http transfers, or Usenet (just torrents).
Either way (apart from torrents, which are heavily throttled), I can't see your peak time download speed (from BT) falling to below that available from your ADSL2+ line (so you're unlikely to be worse off).

And yes; I did mean more expense if you choose to stay with O2 (but on a higher speed product).

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 27-Aug-11 16:49:09
Print Post

Just a (not so) minor point.

If you take Sky LLU Unlimited and Sky Talk, you can leave your phone rental where it is. In my opinion that would be wise, as it makes leaving Sky if desired in the futuure much easier, and less risky.

If you take Sky LLU Unlimited and Sky Rental then your line is removed from the BT Wholesale system and has to be returned to it in order to migrate the broadband away. That can get messed up. The latest example being this thread.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Aug-11 16:53:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The latest example being this thread.

There might be another one in 11 days wink

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 27-Aug-11 16:58:46
Print Post

Nah! tongue

You are on SMPF, not MPF.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Aug-11 18:06:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Nah! tongue

You are on SMPF, not MPF.

Oh I get it....
SMPF = Slightly More Probability of a F***** up
MPF = Minor Probability of a F**** up
smile

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 27-Aug-11 18:13:06
Print Post

"Foul" only has three letters.

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Aug-11 18:14:21
Print Post

Still trying to work out the first 'F' word (with six letters) and the second (with five) wink

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to