General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User seaephpea
(newbie) Mon 29-Aug-11 16:10:22
Print Post

Virgin Cable 50 / BT Infinity / Some other fibre provider

[link to this post]

Both Virgin Media Cable and BT Infinity seem to be available at my new flat. I'm a reasonably heavy user (probably around 3GB per day). Which would you recommend? Would I notice that Virgin 50 was any faster than BT infinity (Estimated: 36.1Mb download
7.8Mb upload)? Does Virgin give a static IP address? What are there upload speeds and latencies like? Would paying for the 100Mb/sec package actually double the speed I received?

Is there any one else I should be considering? Had experience with Newnet in the past, but they seem to be business only now.

Apologies for asking so many questions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Tom
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 30-Aug-11 13:36:52
Print Post

Re: Virgin Cable 50 / BT Infinity / Some other fibre provide

[re: seaephpea] [link to this post]

Virgin IP probably stay the same unless you restart hardware, but not a proper static IP, and same if you chose BT Infinity (unless buying their business service) other firms do offer FTTC too.

Virgin generally if the area is not heavily congested will perform very well, probably better than Infinity, but impossible to say for sure. The 100Meg service as their top teir generally does perform a fair bit better than the 50Meg.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User seaephpea
(newbie) Wed 31-Aug-11 12:38:43
Print Post

Re: Virgin Cable 50 / BT Infinity / Some other fibre provide

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Useful, thanks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to