General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Hurders
(member) Thu 08-Sep-11 12:38:48
Print Post

ISP that doesn't throttle/traffic shape advise?

[link to this post]

I'm going to be moving into a new house, the exchange only has TalkTalk and Orange LLU which I don't want as it seems they use heavy traffic shaping/throttling. I'll be quite a way from the exchange so only likely to get around 3Mbps at best but I need an ISP that is definitely not going to throttle/traffic shape my connection. I'm also looking for a connection that's going to give me consistently low pings for online gaming etc.

Usage wise I don't need a massive allowance (could probably get by with 10gig total but a smaller allowance during peak times and unlimited off peak could work for me). I'm not really wanting to spend much more than £15 per month.

At my current house I'm with Newnet (have been for years) on one of there old plans which gives me 20gig usage for about £22 per month. They have been great with really fast speeds and of course no throttling which is a must for me. Newnet now seem mostly geared up for the business market but I'm possibly looking at their 10gig for £15 per month package but trying to find some possible cheaper alternatives.

Along with Newnet I've also had a look at IDNet, Zen & Vispa but they don't seem to be any cheaper really. I've also been looking at Plusnet with their Extra package with the Pro add-on which supposedly means they won't traffic shape/throttle p2p. It seems very cheap but I'm very cautious of going with these 'mass-market' type providers because I've found in the past they are over subscribed, slow speeds/high pings at peak times and generally awful compared to the lesser know ISP's like Newnet.

Any suggestions?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Sep-11 13:27:09
Print Post

Re: ISP that doesn't throttle/traffic shape advise?

[re: Hurders] [link to this post]

Orange is no longer LLU. It now resells BTw White Label product which means you get WBC ADSL2+, just like LLU, in 21CN exchanges or IPStream ADSL Max in 20CN ones and it is Unlimited usage.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Sep-11 13:50:52
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Might be good if Samknows deletes Orange off its LLU exchange pages.

Oliver.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Sep-11 13:56:57
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Then, to be fair, it might a new category, for BTw White Label say, as most other BTw resellers only do IPStream.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Sep-11 14:28:33
Print Post

Non-LLU ADSL is BT Wholesale by default, which every ADSL enabled exchange has, so no other category needed.

Oliver.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Sep-11 14:35:23
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Not in the case of Orange, and others like PO I believe, who default to WBC ADSL2+ in 21CN exchanges, by reselling BTw's White Label product; completely unlike most other non-LLU ISPs.

As I stated earlier, but you ignored frown

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Sep-11 14:39:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Not in the case of Orange, and others like PO I believe, who default to WBC ADSL2+ in 21CN exchanges, by reselling BTw's White Label product; completely unlike most other non-LLU ISPs.

White-label or not, it's still BT Wholesale though, right?

Oliver.
Standard User Hurders
(member) Thu 08-Sep-11 14:39:37
Print Post

I wasn't aware that Orange weren't LLU, to be honest I don't really understand all this 21CN WBC stuff. I had already ruled out Orange anyway as they implement traffic shaping/throttling, so going back to my originally question, any suggestions on a suitable ISP?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 08-Sep-11 15:15:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:

As I stated earlier, but you ignored frown

What do you get from them in 20CN exchanges, is it IPSC via WBMC or IPStream via BT centrals (if there is a difference)

Harry
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 08-Sep-11 15:18:29
Print Post

[re: Hurders] [link to this post]

I suggest you give Plusnet a try, as the Pro package is specifically intended for gamers and no throttling. If you pay the setup costs and don't take the router then it is only a 10-day contract so no harm in giving it a try.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to