General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PeteEdi
(newbie) Mon 17-Oct-11 22:48:23
Print Post

Changing ISP. Need some info/facts

[link to this post]

Looking at changing my ISP. Obviously I plan to find the fastest/cheapest/most reliable/best customer service. Should be a doddle wink

I'm just looking for some techincal info which I can't find. Can someone help.
I stumbled across a table which listed which ISP traffic manages/throttles what type of traffic.
But can I find it again. No. Anyone have such a table to hand.

Is there a table listing ISP upload speeds? I'm specifically interested in Sky and Orange.

Thanks
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 17-Oct-11 22:52:45
Print Post

Re: Changing ISP. Need some info/facts

[re: PeteEdi] [link to this post]

Can you get FTTC?

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User PeteEdi
(newbie) Mon 17-Oct-11 22:54:14
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Nope. Exchange due for upgrade March next year.
See http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/ESNEW

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 17-Oct-11 22:58:45
Print Post

If you have a short line, you'll get best upload with a provider that offers Annex M. For example with BE you get 1.3Megs on Annex A or 2.5Megs on Annex M.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User PeteEdi
(newbie) Mon 17-Oct-11 23:01:18
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info. I'll find out what Annex M is. But how do I tell if a particular ISP supports it?

Upload is not the critical thing. It would just be nice to have a decent upload,
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Oct-11 23:32:16
Print Post

Orange no longer do LLU. They now resell BTw White Label and you should hopefully be put on 21CN WBC ADSL2+ with an Up Sync of about 1.2 Meg. What are your current router stats so we can gauge your Down speed?

Orange are cheap and unlimited usage with some throttling: Network Management - the detailed stuff

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 17-Oct-11 23:33:29
Print Post

If you say who you are with now and why you want to move, it will help us suggest a solution.

Re Orange, do you know that is no longer LLU? They handed all their kit over to BT Wholesale and most if not all customers have been moved onto BT kit. They just resell the BT Wholesale service, and by that I don't mean in the same way as most ISPs use BT Wholesale systems. Orange have nothing at all to do with it except signing you up and taking your money.

Traffic management seems to be rearing its head there as well.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 18-Oct-11 19:31:59
Print Post

If you do go for an Annex M product be aware that is sacrifices download speed in favour of upload, so you would normally see a slower downstream connection with Annex M, so if you don't need the higher upload, I would not bother with it and get all you can on the downstream.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User PeteEdi
(newbie) Thu 20-Oct-11 23:25:52
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

Apologies for slow reply.
I realise Orange are no longer LLU. I was cnsidering them as theur deal, as an existing Orange mobile user, seems reasonable.

I am with TalkTalk. I was with Pipex, which became Tiscali, then TT. I am on a historical Pipex package which is pretty good. TT sent me a letter saying they were going to cap my service and increase the monthly price by 127% ... although they didn't quite put it like that - they explained what a great new deal I ould be getting. So thought time to shop around.
Was always happy with me download speed (packahed was upto 8 Meg and I was getting 13ish smile Upload was at 0.5 Meg though. Not great. Hence the questions.

My stats are
Attenuation Down/Up 27 /11.8
Noise Margin Down/Up 7.6/11.0

How do they sound?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Oct-11 23:59:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by PeteEdi:
and increase the monthly price by 127%
I think you mean to 127%?

Your stats don't sound without the connection speeds, but you should get 17 Meg on any decent ADSL2+, including Orange,

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to