General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Destro
(newbie) Wed 19-Oct-11 12:50:40
Print Post

ISP Query/AOL woe!

[link to this post]

Hello all,

I'm John and come to you seeking advice. I have been a long time lurker on TB and feeling the need for guidance from experts, I have signed up to the forums.

I have been with AOL since 2000. I am totally unhappy with my speeds at peak times as I do a lot of online gaming/MMO playing. Downloading 1GB of data during this time, whether it be the latest Star Trek Online patch or Football Manager demo can take 6+ hours. Where as during the wee small hours my speeds are rapid. So I have had it with them.

After doing some research on the web and TB I find out about XILO who seem to be a good option for me, in a perfect world, I would plump for BE, but they have no equipment in my exchange. However, in a spooky coincidence I have received a letter from AOL today to tell me that they are installing new equipment at my local exchange which could be up to 24meg, the work being carried out by Openreach. Great news, but utterly useless if I am still capped at peak time right?

Also, I read on the site that XILO use TalkTalk equipment, so come this friday, would XILO be able to offer me up to 24meg as well do you think?

Does anyone else have any other ISP suggestions for me given that I am looking for a provider who won't cap my speed during peak times? Speed isn't all that important as I'm only looking at 2-4meg at the quickest, maybe faster once the work is done at my exchange.

Thank you all in advance for reading, your time and any replies you make. I look forward to reading some input! smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Oct-11 13:05:50
Print Post

Re: ISP Query/AOL woe!

[re: Destro] [link to this post]

Has Xilo said it can put you onto the TalkTalk LLU network?

The AOL upgrade could be almost anything, without knowing the exchange name and whether you are on LLU or IPstream it is hard to comment more.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Oct-11 13:08:54
Print Post

What exchange? What's it say here: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search ?

You are probably on BT IPStream and experiencing congestion at peak times. Getting onto LLU could improve matters. What are your router stats?

Installing AOL LLU kit at exchange has no bearing on TT kit.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Destro
(newbie) Wed 19-Oct-11 13:10:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hello,

My exchange is Fauldhouse, also known in terms of code as ESFAU. It would appear to be a ADSL connection I have at the moment, I got this information from:

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/ESFAU

Hope this helps! smile

J smile
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 19-Oct-11 13:27:34
Print Post

Actually, this exchange appears to already be live.

Name: FAULDHOUSE
The blue line on the map indicates a possible route of the broadband cable between your house and the exchange (0 miles or 0 kilometers). As the length of this connection increases the line attentuation increases and the possible synchronisation speed decreases.
Code: ESFAU
Address:
BARTON TERRACE
FAULDHOUSE
BATHGATE
WEST LOTHIAN
EH47 9LJ
Gigabit Backhaul: Yes
Service
State: Live Live
Line Characteristics
Projected Speed: 15.82Mbps (16200Kbps) Speed Test
Calculated: Wed, 19 Oct 11

Have you tried our checker? https://my.xilo.net/adslcheck.php - look for the Phone+BB tab to see if the products are displayed.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Standard User Destro
(newbie) Wed 19-Oct-11 13:52:35
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

I am 2.9KM from the exchange. XILO has confirmed up to 4meg download and 1meg upload on the PHONE/BB tab after I input my number!

Here are the stats from my router, it is a Netgear DG834G:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 3776 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 44 db 11.5 db
Noise Margin 5 db 22 db

Cheers,

J smile
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Oct-11 14:18:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by Destro:
Connection Speed 3776 kbps 448 kbps
You should be currently getting about 6 Meg Down on ADSL Max. You might get it slightly faster on ADSL2+ LLU.

How fast does XILO say under the Home/Office Tab? For some reason it's miles faster than the Phone/BB Tab for me.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User Destro
(newbie) Wed 19-Oct-11 14:23:16
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Hi there,

To answer your question, Home/Office tab gives me speeds of 2Meg download with either 448 or 832k for upload depending on which price plan I choose.

I think BT estimate between 1mb and 3.5mb on my line 2meg being the average on their estimate... Or something like that LOL smile

I'm getting nowehere near 6meg! frown

Thanks,

J smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 19-Oct-11 14:24:05
Print Post

Three things there smile :-

1) AOL belongs to talkTalk and it is TalkTalk kit that is being installed. I think you may already realise that.

2) uno = xilo, so it is xilo that is posting in the thread. You may not have realised that.

3) I feel you may have a poor phone wiring setup at home. That is a very poor connection speed foor the attenuation, and this is normally caused by internal problems, not the ISP. (The throughput problemsyou describe are another matter).

Could you tell us whether you connect to the master socket in the house, or one of the extensions, and whether or not you use a phone extension cable to get from the socket to the router? We will probably be able to help.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 19-Oct-11 14:32:54
Print Post

That looks like the wrong tab for the TT-based service. What else did it offer?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to