General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mnbvcxz
(regular) Fri 28-Oct-11 10:25:14
Print Post

Bt really the cheapest on bt only exchange?

[link to this post]

Looking at broadband options for relative, they have nothing on their exchange except bt.

Normally I think of bt as being slightly more expensive for slightly less but at the moment you pay £13 for 18 months with 3 free months making £10.80 a month if I'm right. And this includes free weekend and evening calls. 10gb download limit is unlikely to be a problem as their phone line only supports 1-2mbps anyway.

I'm on a 20gb 14.99 eclipse.co.uk package that is no longer available to new customers. Other relatives in the past I have pointed to plusnet for £13 a month which has worked ok but they now have a £25 sign up charge and no discounted months.

Am I missing something, it just seems unlikely but I can't find anything else that comes close.

(Incidentally does anyone know of a good broadband comparison site/something that lets you check only bt exchange services, all I can ever get is all the unbundled ones)

Thanks
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Oct-11 11:17:56
Print Post

Re: Bt really the cheapest on bt only exchange?

[re: mnbvcxz] [link to this post]

Did you look at moving the phone to Plusnet? That wipes out the £25 activation on the broadband.

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001
Standard User mnbvcxz
(regular) Fri 28-Oct-11 12:44:47
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jelv:
Did you look at moving the phone to Plusnet? That wipes out the £25 activation on the broadband.

Yes but that means a £12 line rental, two pounds more expensive than bt plus you are still paying £13 a month so its works out four pounds a month more expensive than bt for the first 18 months?

Perhaps I misunderstand and bts offer is only for unbundled exchanges but I can't see any mention of it on the page. Though its hard to check without ordering.

Its odd all the competition for bundled exchanges seems to have faded away. Particularly when you consider the second least expensive plusnet is really bt too.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 28-Oct-11 14:14:10
Print Post

i am on a market 1 exchange

amd with the post office for phone and unlimited broadband £ 26.05 a month

you get

land line rental , unlimited bb, evening and weekend calls to 01,02,03, 0845 , 0870 , weekend calls to uk mobiles and top 40 international destinations , free setup

nio one comes close for a bundled product on a market 1 exchange
Standard User mnbvcxz
(regular) Fri 28-Oct-11 16:10:48
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
i am on a market 1 exchange
ad with the post office for phone and unlimited broadband £ 26.05 a month

Thank-you that is one to remember, it certainly looks good for unlimited (if a slight vague fair use policy).

However I don't think it will work in this situation for as I said they don't really need more than the 10gb allowance I think so the post office would work out and extra ten pounds a month more in this situation.

Also I and other people are always very reluctant to move our landlines as it is very hard to get a clear picture of what happens if you wish to move back, will their be a reconnection free with bt, will you be able to get a mac code and migrate broadband or will it be canceled with the landline and you have to sign up from scratch? I'm sure there are easy answers but they seem to be mysterious.

Thank you for pointing it out though, as I said a useful deal to know of.
Standard User mnbvcxz
(regular) Fri 28-Oct-11 16:39:25
Print Post

I'm feeling a little sour an plusnet today anyway. They have big price match banners all over their site but when I asked about bt's offer I was told BT lists their broadband as requiring line rental and plusnet only matched standalone packages?

As if you can order any broadband package without having to pay line rental .Grrr

So I think I will just have to recommend bt to my relative, anti competitive though it seems.
  Print Thread

Jump to