General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Corbula
(member) Tue 01-Nov-11 13:50:04
Print Post

Tesco Broadband - Any good?

[link to this post]

Does anyone have any experience with Tesco Broadband or know what it's like?

They are currently running an offer for £4 a month, so i was just wondering what they are like.

Here's my exchange http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/MRMDW
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Nov-11 15:17:27
Print Post

Re: Tesco Broadband - Any good?

[re: Corbula] [link to this post]

Tesco normally use C&W for their broadband (which is actually provided in part over NTLs (VM) network).

You don't have LLU there according to that and without a phone number I can't check specifically but it will probably be a BT based service.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host

Edited by uno (Tue 01-Nov-11 15:17:51)

Standard User Corbula
(member) Tue 01-Nov-11 15:26:37
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Ah right, I recently found out that virgin (who i'm on) use C&W too for their 20mb broadband, so i'm stuck at 8mb.

I've been looking for a while for someone to move to but don't know who.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Nov-11 15:27:38
Print Post

Tesco seem to use the same network as Virgin do. (IP blocks, and route origination is the same).

Matt

-
uno Broadband
Standard User Corbula
(member) Tue 01-Nov-11 15:46:51
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Is there anyone you would recommend.

I'm currently paying about £15 - £20 a month for Virgin 8mb including evening and weekend calls.

I'm looking for either unlimited or a high usage cap, i'm not the heaviest user but some months i use more than others so like the flexibility. I'm an online gamer so low ping times, also either no or a very good traffic management.

I was looking at Sky Unlimited but was put off them when i found out you have to take their line rental as well.
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 01-Nov-11 15:48:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by Corbula:
I'm looking for either unlimited or a high usage cap,

I was looking at Sky Unlimited but was put off them when i found out you have to take their line rental as well.

Sky is probably your best best, followed by Talk Talk, at your exchange.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 01-Nov-11 15:53:37
Print Post

I suggest you try Plusnet Extra, with the Pro Option, if you don't want Sky taking the line off BT.

Plusnet is in effect a 10-day notice period anyway, so if it didn't work out easy enough to move away from.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Corbula
(member) Tue 01-Nov-11 16:18:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Talk Talk is a definite no. I've heard Sky can be difficult to move a way from when you've got their line rental.

How much is the Pro Option for plusnet? There used to be a chart on Plusnet's website saying the actual speed traffic is managed at at different times of the day, is that no longer there? I'm also considering Plusnet Fibre as well.

On plusnet's website it says next to the prices +£11 for line rental. Does the line rental go to plusnet, do they take over the line?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 01-Nov-11 16:42:32
Print Post

A number of questions raised there smile.

Pro used to be a separate package. Now it is a £5 add-on to Value or Extra, and removes the traffic shaping from them, so everything should be line speed as per the old stand-alone Pro product.

Plusnet Fibre is good, like most BT-based FTTC products, but has an 18-month contract and only (at the moment) the 2Mbps upload option. Allowances are 40GB and 120GB. I don't know if the Pro add-on is applicable to their Fibre, as I read the page I link to it probably isn't.

Have you checked FTTC is available on your line?

Plusnet line rental is just the rental is paid to them. The line stays as a "BT" line for all migrations. In the past, you couldn't order Plusnet line rental without having their broadband, but they let you keep it if you then migrated the broadband away. (Except if you moved somewhere that demanded the line as well, such as BT). I think this is still the case, but I'm not sure.

You may be misreading their website. The line rental is only payable to them if you take a broadband and phone package. If, for example, your line is with BT like mine, and you wish to leave it there, just take a broadband-only product smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Corbula
(member) Tue 01-Nov-11 17:11:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Excellent reply.

So to clarify. If i take Plusnet broadband and calls, then the line gets moved to Plusnet. If i take broadband only the line stays a BT line?

Yes FTTC is available on my line, it has been for a while but the high price didn't justify the need really.

Also, what about 20mb from Plusnet? I think i have ADSL2+ at my exchange (see OP), would it be possible to get ADSL2+ from Plusnet?

Edited by Corbula (Tue 01-Nov-11 17:15:20)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to