General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 13-Nov-11 03:41:11
Print Post

Recommendations for a heavy user?

[link to this post]

Hi guys

Currently with Tesco, 0.5MB paying £18. As you probably guess, paying for quite alot for little speed. The only reason I didn't change because it's seems enough, steady ans reliable so I didn't mind leaving my notebook on. But they started thottling during the evenings (yes I know for a already slow speed), getting constant DCs and the modem/wired router I was given is utter trash as can't even open ports and it's compulsory that I have to use it.

I wanted to go with Be but unfortunately it's not available in my area. I'm currently avoiding talktalk, virgin, BT (apparently dislike p2p), O2 (although using Be servers apparently their unlimited plan is limited to 40GB a month) and some others that I can't remember lol. I'm considered a heavy user as I use steam - download and play games online alot, stream SD/HD videos alot and also use p2p software as I'm also fansubber as I handle disto so are there any ISPs you can recommend?

I am also looking at titan-adsl as well as their prices are similar to Tesco but at higher speeds.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations, really appreciate it.
Standard User epyon
(committed) Sun 13-Nov-11 04:39:54
Print Post

Re: Recommendations for a heavy user?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Ok start here

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

to see what services are available.

BE*Unlimited 17959/1412Kbps
My Broadband Speed TestMy Broadband Speed Test
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 13-Nov-11 04:41:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Hi guys

Currently with Tesco, 0.5MB paying £18. As you probably guess, paying for quite alot for little speed. The only reason I didn't change because it's seems enough, steady ans reliable so I didn't mind leaving my notebook on. But they started thottling during the evenings (yes I know for a already slow speed), getting constant DCs and the modem/wired router I was given is utter trash as can't even open ports and it's compulsory that I have to use it.

I wanted to go with Be but unfortunately it's not available in my area. I'm currently avoiding talktalk, virgin, BT (apparently dislike p2p), O2 (although using Be servers apparently their unlimited plan is limited to 40GB a month) and some others that I can't remember lol. I'm considered a heavy user as I use steam - download and play games online alot, stream SD/HD videos alot and also use p2p software as I'm also fansubber as I handle disto so are there any ISPs you can recommend?

I am also looking at titan-adsl as well as their prices are similar to Tesco but at higher speeds.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations, really appreciate it.
BB checker is the best place to start, are there any LLU providers at your exchange? if not it ain't going to be cheap, unlimited resold bt never is, around £50.00 per month, or you go down the throttled or useage capped route , unlimited off peak is an option, but with such a low (dial up type speed)
i personally wouldn't be paying for any bb service full stop if i that was all the line could support, but i doubt it is with tosco at the helm, as evey little only helps therm

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 13-Nov-11 17:24:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
I wanted to go with Be but unfortunately it's not available in my area. I'm currently avoiding talktalk, virgin, BT (apparently dislike p2p), O2 (although using Be servers apparently their unlimited plan is limited to 40GB a month) and some others that I can't remember lol.
Can't really recommend anything at the moment as in a rush, but you are confused about O2. In short, forget it!

Longer version - O2 has two distinct services, LLU using the Be network, and O2 Access using the BT Wholesale system.

The O2 Access one is only up to 8Mbps and is capped at 20GB per month. (Before the 20GB cap was introduced there was a period with a 40GB FUP). It is reputedly rather poor.

The LLU ones you cannot get if Be is not present, but none have a 40GB limit. The Basics is 20GB and The All Rounder and The Works used to be 100GB and 250GB respectively but are now unlimited.

There was some misinformation posted a few months ago about ongoing 40GB. You may have picked up on that smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 13-Nov-11 17:27:04)

Print Thread

Jump to