General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RiffRaff
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-Nov-11 22:42:49
Print Post

ISP for phone and broadband, for a light-light/moderate user

[link to this post]

Helping to set a friend up with the internet.

As cheap as possible goes without saying. She will be a light to light/moderate user, and not into anything dodgy or gaming, but she will be surfing at peak times (including video streaming, i player etc) somewhat regurlarly. She wants cheap local landline calls primarily, but of course nationwide free aswell won't hurt.

Any suggestions?

I lean towards recommending O2 to her; I know they aren't the cheapest but i've always had good experience of them.

She will be getting a new phone line for this so need to take into account any installation charges aswell.

Monthly contract preferrable.

Thanks.

Edited by RiffRaff (Tue 15-Nov-11 22:43:30)

Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Nov-11 22:57:27
Print Post

Re: ISP for phone and broadband, for a light-light/moderate

[re: RiffRaff] [link to this post]

PlusNet

Be* Unlimited
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 15-Nov-11 23:29:31
Print Post

As nredwood says, or perhaps the Post Office.

O2 is nowhere like it used to be now it has new packages. Very heavy traffic management, see this page.

Even Orange may be OK now it is contracted out to BT Wholesale. There are quite a few reports of it being better than when it was Orange themselves. Apart from some who were on good LLU speeds and been knocked down to 8Mbps on non-WBC exchanges.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User acpsd775
(committed) Wed 16-Nov-11 00:24:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by RiffRaff:
Helping to set a friend up with the internet.

As cheap as possible goes without saying. She will be a light to light/moderate user, and not into anything dodgy or gaming, but she will be surfing at peak times (including video streaming, i player etc) somewhat regurlarly. She wants cheap local landline calls primarily, but of course nationwide free aswell won't hurt.

Any suggestions?

I lean towards recommending O2 to her; I know they aren't the cheapest but i've always had good experience of them.

She will be getting a new phone line for this so need to take into account any installation charges aswell.

Monthly contract preferrable.

Thanks.

talktalk have an offer on at the moment for a free phone line install i just took it see here

there ok priced but remember its full LLU so may be harder to move away from if anything goes wrong mines a second line so if anything go's wrong then ive still got my first line to fall back on. Also some people dislike talktalk a lot some people like them a lot im sure someone with good experiances could tell you a little info if your friend were interested

ASh

Sky + TalkTalk
-------------------------------------------------------------
2004: Blueyonder 256k/512k => 2006: Blueyonder 2Meg => 2009 Virgin Media 10Meg => 2009/10 Virgin Media 50Meg => 21/04/2011 sky Unlimited 11167 kbps D / 910kbps U(current) 30/9/11 Virgin Media 100Meg(disconnected15/12/11) =>17/11/11 Talktalk to be updated

PSN: ACPSD775 add me if you like
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 16-Nov-11 00:31:17
Print Post

If you post the exchange we can also give an idea of price, but so far, I echo Plusnet.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”
Standard User reserved
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-Nov-11 09:03:40
Print Post

Another vote for Plusnet smile

Dennis

plusnet value & talkanytime
Standard User ash76
(member) Wed 16-Nov-11 10:59:00
Print Post

PlusNet.
Providing she is a "light /moderate user" of the Internet.
For light users like me, the PlusNet 10GB allowance is fine.

I am also investigating this for someone else, but the household
has 3 users and use BBC iPlayer which make them a heavy user.
When using iPlayer or streaming video your download usage dramatically increases.

Edited by ash76 (Wed 16-Nov-11 11:06:14)

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 16-Nov-11 12:13:45
Print Post

[re: ash76] [link to this post]

I use plenty of Beeb content, although I'm not a heavy user by most standards. My monthly average tends to be around 20GB. Not a downloader though. Hence, Plusnet Extra is more than enough.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Nov-11 12:21:46
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

If willing to commit, also check out the pay up front for phone line rental offers.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User reserved
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-Nov-11 14:47:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If willing to commit, also check out the pay up front for phone line rental offers.

Plusnet do this: For a one off payment of £113.88 you'll get 12 months line rental - that's the equivalent of £9.49 a month, saving you £42 over a year

They were also doing a reduced price for line installation but not sure if that is still available.

Dennis

plusnet value & talkanytime
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to