General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User k1ll3r
(newbie) Wed 30-Nov-11 21:41:10
Print Post

Broadband Options With a Virgin Line?

[link to this post]

I was wondering what broadband options I have with a Virgin phone line. We currently have their TV and phone package but also pay for a BT line so we can have BE Broadband. Paying for 2 lines isn't ideal however, so we're looking to get rid of one.

I've been led to believe that Virgin TV requires their line rental, but if it doesn't then that could save a lot of hassle. I've gotten contradicting information when it comes to this issue however. Does anyone have a definitive answer?

If it comes down to cancelling the BT line, what broadband options do I have? Am I right in thinking that I won't be able to continue using BE's service?

My exchange: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/MRGAT
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 30-Nov-11 21:47:20
Print Post

Re: Broadband Options With a Virgin Line?

[re: k1ll3r] [link to this post]

Virgin is cheaper with a phone than without. If Virgin BB suits you, dump the BT line and BE. But you can only get Virgin.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User k1ll3r
(newbie) Wed 30-Nov-11 22:35:55
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

That's a shame. I was hoping I could stick with BE as they've been rather good so far.

What are Virgin like in regards to traffic management?

It might still be worth keeping the BT line, even if losing the phone means the cost increases for the TV package.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 30-Nov-11 22:44:49
Print Post

I dumped Virgin for Sky as the Virgin usage limit appears to be around 5GB, and Virgin TV is laughable compared with Sky. Virgin's phone service is also appaling and their billing seems to charge for anything and everything.

Maybe your better option is to dump Virgin instead and get sky.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 30-Nov-11 23:02:36
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Was that Virgin ADSL or cable BatBoy? I read the OP as being on cable, but there isn't much to justify me thinking that.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 30-Nov-11 23:03:32
Print Post

Virgin cable phone?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 30-Nov-11 23:04:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I was talking about Virgin cable, and I think the OP was too.

Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Dec-11 09:00:45
Print Post

With a virgin land line you can not have ADSL services, but you dont have to have a phone line with Virgin cable (although it does make some of their packages cheaper)

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User k1ll3r
(newbie) Thu 01-Dec-11 20:18:29
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

I overlooked the fact that we're still locked into a 12 month contract. So getting rid of the Virgin line is impossible.

My only real options it seems are:

1. Try negotiate a better deal with BT and BE to cover the costs of a second line.
2. Get Virgin Broadband.

The latter is something I'm reluctant to do. I haven't been impressed with what I'm hearing about their service. In particular; traffic shaping would do a great deal to curb any enthusiasm I would have about migrating to their service.

Just how bad is the shaping however?. What about filesharing? What about their customer support?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 01-Dec-11 20:26:39
Print Post

Have two ADSL lines here, and would dump one in a heartbeat to get a Virgin 100 or 50 Meg service.

Would retain one ADSL line, due to static IP options and its stoic reliability.

While they slow you down at peak times, the drop back would still beat what I can get on ADSL. Only concern would be if the cable in the area was congested, which is something that is hard to know before signing up. File sharing can't comment, but they do manage it on the products, but suspect it will vary from area to area a lot.

Avoid their slower services, e.g. 70% of their customers are on the 10 Meg service. Also would use modem only mode on the superhub and buy my own wireless router.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to