General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User timbo1243
(newbie) Sun 04-Dec-11 15:28:05
Print Post

Best and cheap Boradband on the unlimited usage except Sky.

[link to this post]

I've used Sky boradband (£10 per month), and I've decided to cancel my broadband contract. This is because my speeds are always been dropped by Sky. Their solution was to always try turning on and off my modem. This had solved the problem but I'm not prepared to this every now and then. So recently I've decided to move away from Sky and switch my line rental to BT.

However I need some advice which broadband provider to choose on a BT line. Iím looking for a unlimited boradband usage, as Iím gamer. I would like to get the lowest prices possible and hoping the provider doesnít drop speeds and doesn't ask me to restart my modem every now and then. I would also prefer a short contract period, but if thatís not possible then 12 month should be okay.

Any suggestions on broadband providers please?

Edited by timbo1243 (Sun 04-Dec-11 15:30:09)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 04-Dec-11 15:32:28
Print Post

Re: Best and cheap Boradband on the unlimited usage except S

[re: timbo1243] [link to this post]

When you say unlimited, do you mean that 24/7, or would an unlimited night-time period be OK? Have you any idea how much you actually use? Very few people really mean "unlimited", they just want enough to make it so they don't have to keep a check.

We need to know your exchange, to see what is available.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 04-Dec-11 15:35:57
Print Post

That solution indicates a problem with your line that probably would not be solved by moving to another ISP, unless you go to fibre.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User timbo1243
(newbie) Sun 04-Dec-11 15:55:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

There shouldn't be any restriction on the download on daily basis. Night time is preferred as I use the net allot during this period.

I dont know my usage in GBs. However my usage includes regular streaming of movies and music, for example using lovefilm, youtube etc. I also download some HD videos (1080p) and I play online games over the ps3/xbox at least twice in a week.

The details of my exchange can be found on this Link
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Sun 04-Dec-11 16:02:40
Print Post

Have you been connecting to the router via wireless? I've experienced routers (mainly NetGears) that go into a slow state on wireless after a couple of days of heavy use, and restarting always solved this, but wired was fine. I would try and see if you are also experiencing slow downs via a wired connection. If it is just wireless, maybe it's time to get a new router.

To address the actual point of your original post (moving provider), I have recently noticed this:

http://www.aquiss.net/broadband-unlimited.php

They do a 12mbit connection starting at £20/month. I have no experience of Aquiss though but I think they might be up your street, as it is a fixed amount per month, unlimited (though I suspect being unlimited, they could possibly be attracting a fair few heavy users, and so may traffic manage, which may cause you issues for gaming). AAISP are also unlimited, but if you go way over your base amount per month, they will charge extra.

There is also BE Unlimited. Not been with them for nearly 5 years now. They were good back then, but I get the impression recently they may be losing their edge. My brother has 2 connections with them and has no issues.

Given you do gaming, I think latency is of more importance to you. At least with AAISP, who I am with, they do not over contend their network. The only contention will be BT - see http://clueless.aaisp.net.uk/linkreport.cgi for exactly what they mean by this.

Now on <aaisp.net>
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 04-Dec-11 17:07:06
Print Post

Before switching modem off/on, did you ever look to see what the line stats were?

This would have helped to identify if the issue is an ADSL line based one, or something the ISP is doing.

ADSL modems by their very nature disconnect due to noise, and generally find a more stable slow speed, and will hold this speed until there is more noise, or someone gives it a kick to restart. If this kick is after the noise has gone away your speed will come back.

This behaviour is the SAME with all ADSL/ADSL2+ providers and even FTTC.

Some modems perform better on lines where this flucuation gets annoying, and thus buying one or two to try them out (often via eBay) is the solution.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 04-Dec-11 17:08:53
Print Post

A HD movie can be 2GB or 8GB per film, which makes the actual playing of games pay into insignificance, since an hour of game play is around 36MB per hour of play.

What will use more up, is downloading the patches and demos.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 04-Dec-11 17:36:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by timbo1243:
I've used Sky boradband (£10 per month), and I've decided to cancel my broadband contract. This is because my speeds are always been dropped by Sky. Their solution was to always try turning on and off my modem. This had solved the problem but I'm not prepared to this every now and then. So recently I've decided to move away from Sky and switch my line rental to BT.

However I need some advice which broadband provider to choose on a BT line. Iím looking for a unlimited boradband usage, as Iím gamer. I would like to get the lowest prices possible and hoping the provider doesnít drop speeds and doesn't ask me to restart my modem every now and then. I would also prefer a short contract period, but if thatís not possible then 12 month should be okay.

Any suggestions on broadband providers please?
xilo offer be wholsale products the upto 16mb for under £20 per month , unlimited data transfare,and also can have fastpath (lower latency)
Standard User timbo1243
(newbie) Sun 04-Dec-11 23:12:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Before switching modem off/on, I did look at the router status. I've attached the screenshot here - Link. You can see the speed has dropped to 785. Usually the line has a speed of 8000. The phone line was working fine.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 04-Dec-11 23:15:13
Print Post

The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to