General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 08-Dec-11 19:37:57
Print Post

BT, Talk Talk, or Sky?

[link to this post]

I get my calls and broardband from BT, but my 12 month contact is about to expire. I've done some research and realised their prices are considerably higher than the other 2 operators on my line: Talk Talk and Sky. My exchange is

Sherburn Hill

My current BT BB package is for 40gb and i went over this for the first time last month. Talk Talk and Sky are both unlimited so that would be a bonus (I know BT also offer unlimited BB but the price is prohibitibvely high for me.)

My major concern is how a move to Sky or Talk Talk would effect my broardband speed. I'm 3300m from the exchange and I currently get around 2.5mps.

I phoned all 3 companies. Talk Talk said they could get me over 4mps, Sky said I would get between 0.3 and 1.5mps with them, and BT guaranteed I'd lose speed if I left them.

I don't know who to believe. I'm a Sky TV customer so it would make sense to choose them but I don't want speeds that low.

Also, how should having ADSL2+ installed on my Exchange by March 31st effect my decision?

Any help anyone can provide will be much appreciated.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 08-Dec-11 19:55:26
Print Post

Re: BT, Talk Talk, or Sky?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
I get my calls and broardband from BT, but my 12 month contact is about to expire. I've done some research and realised their prices are considerably higher than the other 2 operators on my line: Talk Talk and Sky. My exchange is

Sherburn Hill

My current BT BB package is for 40gb and i went over this for the first time last month. Talk Talk and Sky are both unlimited so that would be a bonus (I know BT also offer unlimited BB but the price is prohibitibvely high for me.)
Someone suggested using BT FON to avoid exceeding your usage limit.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 08-Dec-11 20:49:11
Print Post

Post your router stats.
In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Also, how should having ADSL2+ installed on my Exchange by March 31st effect my decision?
Probably no effect on your speed at all. Same goes for TT & Sky which are ADSL2+, but we can only tell from your current stats.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 08-Dec-11 22:09:01
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I recently moved from BT to TalkTalk.

TalkTalk tele sales people assured me I would get 9.6mbps on my line. They quoted this to me twice on the phone, also their website gave a similar figure and their paperwork said the same figure.

However tonight I see I am getting 3.3mbps.

My experience over the past month has been very variable for speeds from 3 to 10 mbps. But mostly 6 in the day and 3 in the evening. With BT I was far more consistent around the 6mbps mark.

You pays your money and you take your chance, at least I get free unlimited telephone calls 24/7 now instead of evening and weekends with BT

Dave H
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 08-Dec-11 22:52:31
Print Post

It's all surmise until we see router stats.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 08-Dec-11 23:00:45
Print Post

My usage stats

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 384807 599607 0 460 8419 25:40:20
LAN 10M/100M 3775240 2496795 0 1868 795 103:49:54

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 3360 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 53 db 15 db
Noise Margin 3 db 18 db
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 08-Dec-11 23:07:55
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I currently can't use BT FON, to cut down on usage, because i use my own Netgear router. But it's a good idea, if i stay with BT I'll set up the router they sent me and give it a go.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 08-Dec-11 23:13:45
Print Post

You should be getting about 1 Meg Sync faster now, but you won't benefit from ADSL2+.

What does this: http://speedtester.bt.com/ say?

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 08-Dec-11 23:45:24
Print Post

BT speedtester results:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 2272 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :3360 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2500 Kbps
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Dec-11 10:26:49
Print Post

Hi, go with Orange for broadband, landline phone and line rental. Itís like being with BT but you pay Orange prices and if you already have Orange mobile phone contract you get £5 per month knocked off the broadband price. wink

http://shop.orange.co.uk/broadband/

http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/personal/b...

Orange WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to