General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Dec-11 10:56:19
Print Post

Re: BT, Talk Talk, or Sky?

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

But not before 21CN WBC is enabled at his exchange. It's not there yet.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Dec-11 11:08:01
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

As I said earlier, you are only getting about 75% of your line's capability.

Have you removed ring wire?

Do you have any phone extensions, Sky Boxes, ...? Are they all filtered?

Is the router on a long extension cable?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Dec-11 11:24:46
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

If the present contract is about to end, best to move now and will be ready for 31/03/2012. My exchange was upgraded to 21CN WBC one month ahead of the BT schedule.

Orange WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Dec-11 11:49:11
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Contracts don't just end; they go onto a fixed notice period basis.

Also RFS dates are not always adhered to.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 09-Dec-11 12:20:32
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I'm not sure about the bell ring. About 3 months ago my speed had dropped to about 0.5 mps, after a few calls to BT the open reach guys came out. At first they assumed it was something inside the house (it's an old house and the guy reckoned the cabling was 40 years old.) A new wire was run from my front door and a new faceplate was put on.

When I open it up the wires are blue, brown, green and orange (I'm a little confused because they are the pre 1980 colours but the cable is 3 months old.) The green and brown cables are not connected. The blue cable is connected to a socket labeled "B" and the orange cable is connected to a socket labeled "A." There is also sockets labeled "2", "3", and "5" which are all empty.

My home setup is this:

I have only one socket in my home. This has a ADSL filter attached. I have a wired netgear router connected by a 1 meter cable. From this I run 3 cheap 20m RJ45 cat5e cables. One goes to a slingbox, another to an Xbox, and third goes to an aiport express. The airport express provides the wireless Internet for the whole house, it is positioned away from the router because it's a big house with thick walls and unless I position it in this place I can't get wireless throughout the house.

The cat5e cable is not shielded so I could be losing some signal there. But in the past when I've compared speeds between the wireless and wired there has only been a small difference.

The telephone part of my filter goes into a 1-4 splitter, and I have 2 phones, a Sky box, and a fax machine connected.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 09-Dec-11 12:25:03
Print Post

Forgot to mention, the fault that caused 0.5mps was actually along the street. When this had been resolved my speeds jumped to around 3.5mps. I was delighted because the previous quickest speed I'd ever had was 2.8mps.

However after about a day the speed dropped down to around 2.5mps. And today my speed fluctuates between 2.2 and 2.7mps.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 09-Dec-11 12:31:00
Print Post

In that setup I suggest adding a second filter somewhere. Either immediately before the 4-way, or between it and the Sky box.

If before the 4-way that would also perhaps cover any problems from the fax machine. Stronger still of course would be the second between the Sky box and the 4-way, and a third simularly for the fax machine.

Whilst typing, it occurred to me you probably have at least one phone extension cable into the 4-way? Those usually contain ring (bell) wires and are ruinous to ADSL.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 09-Dec-11 12:31:39)

Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Fri 09-Dec-11 12:46:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

If only one socket, could invest in a filtered face plate, that would take care of it and the ring wire issue and get it all filtered at source.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User chris6273
(member) Fri 09-Dec-11 12:55:06
Print Post

If I were you, I wouldn't count on the ADSL2+ (WBC) date for your exchange. Some of the dates lately are slipping (I am on an exchange where it has slipped 2 months on - It now has the same date as yours: 31/01/2012). Out of TalkTalk and Sky, I would personally go with Sky because their speeds are usually quite decent, while having low prices.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Broadband Speed Test

Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 13.0 db 10.0 db
Noise Margin 16.8 db 24.0 db
Max(Kbps): 11616 1056

Edited by chris6273 (Fri 09-Dec-11 13:02:00)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 09-Dec-11 13:53:33
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

I think I'm going to get a filtered face plate, it seems that would be a good way to ensure I'm not getting any inference from the fax, the sky and the telephone extensions I use.

As for whether to stay with BT or move to Sky or Talk Talk, I've decided to rule out Talk Talk. There is just so much negative feedback about them around the Internet that I don't want to take the risk

Plus Talk Talk called me back pushing for a deal. I mentioned that I was worried by the amount of negative feedback and they became aggressive and said this is not true, they claimed they constantly rate top of BB companies in customer service polls voted on by their customers, which is "all that matters to them." They also lectured me on how only the unhappy post on forums and how their many happy customers don't.

So, it's probably either Sky or BT. Is there any reason to believe that my BB speed would change either negatively or positively with a move to Sky? I know they quoted me speeds of between 0.3 and 1.3mps, down from the 2.5mps (ish) I currently get, but I'm guessing this is only an estimation.

My final play with BT will be to get through to their retentions department and ask for my MAC code. Hopefully then I'll get some kind of competitive offer, but i'm not holding my breath.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to