General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 16-Dec-11 12:52:26
Print Post

Best High Speed with static IP?

[link to this post]

Hello.

I'm trying to work out the best option for me to upgrade to. I am currently with BE Unlimited and am getting about 16 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. I'm not aware of any plans from BE to upgrade their top line speeds further - are there any?

I am in a Virgin Media area and already have TV and phone services with them. From the BT perspective WBC is live here and according to samknows FTTC should be available by 31/12/2012.

However, from a work perspective I need to retain having a static IP address. Given this, what is likely to be my best option?

thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 16-Dec-11 13:18:38
Print Post

Re: Best High Speed with static IP?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Your only upgrade is to fibre, either the VM cable or Openreach FTTC once it is available to you. WBC ADSL2+ would be very similar to Be ADSL2+, and probably have some sort of traffic management.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 16-Dec-11 13:24:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

As far as I am aware both VM and BT FTTC do not provide static IP address options? Is this correct?

Also, I do see scare stories regarding VM. These seem to be mainly on their low usage products - are the high usage ones clear of these problems?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 16-Dec-11 13:26:55
Print Post

VM - you would need to pay a chunk more the business services, and Infinity is still dynamic.

Other providers who use the Openreach FTTC service, can provide static IP, but usage limits need to be investigated then.

VM higher speed products do generally perform better, but the latency if a gamer does not improve much between cheapest and most expensive.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 16-Dec-11 13:32:11
Print Post

As MrSaffron says, but I believe BT Business Infinity can have a static IP as well. Certainly the Residential one can't.

Given how long it will be before you could get FTTC, I think it likely Be will have their FTTC product up and running by then.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 16-Dec-11 14:01:28
Print Post

And I did not say in the news, but I am wondering if the price drops are also because BT has an inkling that Sky is close to competing on the FTTC product, i.e. start to sell Openreach just as TalkTalk are.

AnyTime+ with FTTC and more HD content could be very nice.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 16-Dec-11 14:10:39
Print Post

Ok. I misread sanknows (SOUTHBANK exchange). The FTTC product is 31/12/2012. Hence it seems my only for an upgrade would be VM?

cheers
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 16-Dec-11 16:36:54
Print Post

It is, really frown.

Standard User blueacid
(committed) Sat 17-Dec-11 12:16:41
Print Post

Depending on your needs, could you keep the be line, use the static IP there, but then also get a supplementary virgin connection for faster speeds on downloads? Would obviously cost more but might work out, but only if the need for faster speeds isn't connected with the need for the static ip

Cheers,
Blueacid
=================================
Was on Xilo C&W LLU on MRCEN, Now Be* on MRARD.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sat 17-Dec-11 12:35:15
Print Post

There are ways around most reasons for wanting a static IP and you may find it is just not necessary. What do you actually NEED a static IP for?

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to