General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User charroch
(newbie) Thu 22-Dec-11 12:30:58
Print Post

Moving home, looking for ISP (line rental + broadband)

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I am moving to a new build (postcode E8 3FF). It seems I can get FTTC. I don't have anything setup yet and nobody lived in the place before (no line ever setup for that address). I am looking for a phone + broadband package. I am mainly concern with net neutrality and the likes (filtering). I looked into IDNET and AAISP and some others. My concern is that the install price for a new line is up to 200pounds while for BT/PlusNet/Sky, the install price is 'free' if you sign up for a 12/18 month contract. I am much more keen to move to an 'independant' ISP which will not spy nor cope my usage but the price difference is quite dramatic.

I was thinking maybe installing a BT line with BT and then go with IDNET or similar.

Any recommendation?

Thanks,
Carl
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 22-Dec-11 13:26:28
Print Post

Re: Moving home, looking for ISP (line rental + broadband)

[re: charroch] [link to this post]

The BT charge for a new line can be £30, but in the situation you decribe it may be £130. The £30 deal has an 18-month contract and requires 10 outgoing calls per month, though these can be within the included call package.
When you order a new landline we check your property to see if we can connect you easily or if you need an engineer visit. If a connection charge applies most people find they don't need to pay this it costs £30 if you're just taking a BT line or free with any broadband package.
Engineer visit: This may be required if you have an existing line that needs additional work (i.e. if the wiring/socket is damaged). The charge for an engineer visit is £130.

If your home has had a telephone service from BT in the recent past, the wiring and socket is undamaged and the line still has a dial tone, it's likely that this connection charge/engineer visit will not apply to you.

If there's no suitable BT line available in your property or damage to the existing socket/wiring then an £130 engineer visit may be required.

We'll let you know whether you need to pay a connection charge/engineer visit charge on your order summary before you check out.

All connection charges and engineer visit charges are subject to survey.

Any charge will be added to your first BT bill.

If you have been disconnected for non-payment in the past the standard full £130 connection charge will apply.

£30 Connection Offer. Customers who require a new line will benefit from a £100 discount on the standard line connection charge of £130. Customers who are benefiting from this offer are not eligible for Line Rental Saver and must agree to an 18 month contract (applies to the Unlimited Weekend Plan or the Unlimited Anytime Plan). Minimum call commitment also applies you must make at least 10 chargeable or inclusive calls per month (30 calls per quarter). You'll need to pay a charge of £5.15 for every month (if you are billed monthly) or £15.45 for every quarter (if you're billed quarterly) in which you don't make these calls, as compensation for not making the minimum number of calls required. These charges are not subject to VAT and will appear in the one-off charges section of your bill.
Note the "may" be required. Very woolly frown.

See this link.

IDNet is good, but has an FTTC connection charge. I'm with them, on a BT line, the same as you are thinking of. AAISP is reputedly excellent but very expensive if you use it in peak times. Reasonably priced off-peak, and an effectively free night-time period.

When you order the line, ask for a Linked Order Number (LORN), though check with your chosen ISP they can process those and if they apply to FTTC connections. I only know of them being for ADSLx. If they can, they submit it with the broadband order and with luck the two orders get linked and you get a Simultaneous Provide (SIM),

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Thu 22-Dec-11 14:01:12
Print Post

If it helps our phone line installation costs £78.00 including VAT and still a monthly contract.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User charroch
(newbie) Thu 22-Dec-11 15:41:20
Print Post

Is it possible to get broadband without phone rental? I guess line rental is a must but phone rental? With VoIP I wonder why people would bother. Especially that I call mostly international and mobile.

BTW AAISP replied on twitter that they could potentially drop the price if the phone socket is there. I found in all a bit confusing.
Standard User willsweet2
(newbie) Thu 22-Dec-11 15:53:54
Print Post

Hi there,

I'm Will. BT offers free new Line installation when you take a package with them, as mentioned here http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProduc...

As you can get FTTC, try to go for BT Infinity, namely the "Unlimited Broadband and Evening & Weekend Calls with superfast BT Infinity broadband" package shown here http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProduc...

This is THE best deal available in your area. One last thing is to stop filtering, all you have to do is write a letter to BT proving you are over 18 and they will disable Cleanfeed on your connection. There is still no access to Newzbin however, but it's illegal anyway.

Good Luck!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 22-Dec-11 16:32:28
Print Post

Define what you mean by phone rental?

For DSL based broadband you MUST have

1. An active metallic phone line, i.e. pay the basic minimum voice line rental, WLR3 products e.g. what AA provide are usually the cheapest, Primus is one firm to look at for cheap voice line rental.
2. Pay for the broadband monthly rental on top of this.

There is no requirement to buy a calls bundle, though many providers offer free Evening & Weekend type bundles for 'free'.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User willsweet2
(newbie) Fri 23-Dec-11 15:36:16
Print Post

[re: willsweet2] [link to this post]

Have you sorted it out yet?

Will.
Standard User charroch
(newbie) Tue 03-Jan-12 23:54:06
Print Post

[re: willsweet2] [link to this post]

Unfortunately still not... More confused then ever. I can not seem to get BT infinity. plus.net says I can get fibre while no other fibre provider says I can. BT seems to be able to move my line for 30 pounds while I could potentially get primus or sky phone (only) for less then BT and then go with some other provider....

Still all so confusing.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 04-Jan-12 00:12:46
Print Post

Don't get confused about a line from BT, the £30 one.

If you want broadband from BT then you must have a line from them. But the converse is not true. If you have their line you are not forced to have BT Broadband. So you could go with other providers, just like you could with Primus or Sky (phone only).

The only way you will finally know about FTTC availability will be once the phone has been live 2-3 days or so. (The relevant databases take a few days to update after installation).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 04-Jan-12 00:14:01)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Jan-12 00:50:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
If you want broadband from BT then you must have a line from them.
& if you have BB from BT, then line installation is free.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to