General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RobxK
(newbie) Wed 04-Jan-12 21:41:40
Print Post

Moving to non LLU - High use - Help Req

[link to this post]

Hi all

I read this site a lot, very rarely (if ever) post though,

I am moving home in a few weeks. I am looking for a new ISP and coming up with a few issues.

My requirement
Unlimited Broadband
up to 20meg (Standard)

I am a heavy user, somewhere around 600GB per month.
usage:
-Stream Sky Go around 20 hours per week
-Download a lot of movies
-Xbox live (doesnt use much i know)
-A lot of Iplayer/other streaming services

I am currently with SKY which is GREAT! for my needs and very reliable but I am going to cancel SKY when I move as we don't need the TV.

The physical speed of the property will be around 9/10mbit according to the checker which is fine.

There are NO LLU providers on the exchange so its all BT Wholesale, no FTTC or Cable.

Question is which ISP is best to go with??

I have looked around and truly unlimited providers on BTW are few and far between, Orange seems a good option. I will also need a phone line bundled with it. don't mind paying up to £30ish for both.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 04-Jan-12 22:35:53
Print Post

Re: Moving to non LLU - High use - Help Req

[re: RobxK] [link to this post]

A couple of questions, the first from ignorance.

1) Can you have Sky Go if you don't have Sky TV?

2) Can you manage to schedule a lot of the other downloads into night-time periods? Several ISPs have unlimited spells, some of them also at weekends.

One thing you must not do under any circumstances is have Sky Connect broadband.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User RobxK
(newbie) Wed 04-Jan-12 22:58:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I use the xbox360 to watch sky player on a different account to ny account t so that will still be used,any large movie downloads are normally done overnight but the actual grander amount of these is way less than the streaming so this is not really an option.

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 04-Jan-12 23:11:15
Print Post

Orange, which is now completely contracted out to BT Wholesale, could be OK, but I would probably in your situation take a very deep breath and go for BT itself. I think they are the most likely to be able to offer reliable throughput speed, which you will need. Their 300GB FUP was removed in April.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Zadeks
(committed) Wed 04-Jan-12 23:16:58
Print Post

Do you use P2P?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Jan-12 00:37:47
Print Post

Orange, whose actual network is now run by BT Wholesale, and BT itself will have identical performance with unlimited usage.

Orange will be considerably cheaper, but its phone support could well be inferior.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(member) Thu 05-Jan-12 01:07:19
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Orange will be considerably cheaper, but its phone support could well be inferior.

Mmmm phone support would have to be very inferior!

@Robxk- I use BT option 3 with Adslmax, TV services over Live and PSN both fine though to many variables as with any, to guarantee. If p2p is your thing in the week between 23.00 - 15.30 fine, weekends are no no and peak times in the week useless. All in all for me they have been the fastest and reliable provider over many including cable providers, though I would use the BT forum for support rather than helpline!

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....

Edited by NilSatisOptimum (Thu 05-Jan-12 01:11:44)

Standard User RobxK
(newbie) Thu 05-Jan-12 23:27:48
Print Post

[re: NilSatisOptimum] [link to this post]

Thanks for al the replies.

I do use p2p but only over night, I download around 50/100gig only on p2p the rest is all streaming. Maybe slightly less these days.
I did not realise that BT run the orange network, that is interesting to know.

I have been considering BT for a while and they would also have the option of BT vision in the future I guess.

I notice above that it is stated that BT have removed their fair use policy, do they have any other hidden restrictions I need to be aware of? I have looked through their terms but they are often hidden like the fair use policy generally is.

Thanks again for the advice
Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(member) Fri 06-Jan-12 13:29:02
Print Post

Simple answer "NO" however when will BT be forced to implement cleanfeed again by the courts, who knows! There has been some suggestion of some sort of soft breaking etc for very heavey users, though i'm not convinced, discussed here-

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bt/4077391-what-exa...

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
Standard User RobxK
(newbie) Fri 06-Jan-12 20:39:02
Print Post

[re: NilSatisOptimum] [link to this post]

OK that seems good to me,

I think BT sounds the best option to go with. I did call Orange today to double check their deals and with broadband and line rental total per month is £27.50. not a huge amount cheaper than BT all in.

I think I will probably go with BT once we are in the house.

Thanks for all your help.

Rob
  Print Thread

Jump to