General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 05-Jan-12 17:17:55
Print Post

Which is best in my area

[link to this post]

hi, i am very new to these forums and i am after a bit of advice. i am currently on virgin media bb and get absolutely rubbish connection at peak times (4-12pm) sometimes as bad as 0.5mbs on a 50mb line, so not good at all... i have been informed this is due to over utilisation in my area.

hence i am looking to move away from virgin and back to adsl broadband. however as i have never had adsl in this area i dont know what my best option would be.

this is my exchange and my postcode is Bh11 8bu.

can anyone advise as to who is the best to go with. i know my speed wont be as good in off peak times but i am just after a connection that is stable and doesn't give me 40% packet loss at night as i use it for internet gaming.

if you need any other info please ask.

thanks

Azzercam
Standard User azzercam
(newbie) Thu 05-Jan-12 17:37:00
Print Post

Re: Which is best in my area

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

northbourne link to exhange
Standard User dspillett
(committed) Thu 05-Jan-12 17:57:39
Print Post

[re: azzercam] [link to this post]

Of the options available there, my recommendation without further information would be Be assuming yuo don't mind going LLU.

Drop your phone number into http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome to get an estimate of your expected rates before taking any such recommendation though: if you are far from the exchange you won't get much from any ADSL/ADSL2 based link (Be won't touch a line beyond a certian length).

--------------------------------------------------------
Current ISP: Andrews & Arnold (AAISP, aa.net.uk) via FTTC at ~36Mbit down & ~10Mbit up, joined July 2011.
Previous setup: Be Pro with UploadPlus (ADSL2+, AnnexM), 12ish Mbit down, 1.6 up, happy customer for ~2.5 years.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User azzercam
(newbie) Thu 05-Jan-12 18:25:07
Print Post

[re: dspillett] [link to this post]

as im on cable atm i cant put my number in, also it would cost £85 to get a new line installed with BE. i was looking at talktalk as they have offered me a new line for free and its only £6.75 per month for 6 months then £14.50 thereafter plus line rental.

i have seen lots of people complaining about talk talk but i havent seen anyone complain about my area so not sure if they will be ok or not.

is there anyway i can find out how far i am away from the exchange without having an exisiting bt line? by putting my post code in bt and sky say between 5 and 11mb and tt say between 2.4 and 6.6mb should there really be that much difference?
Standard User InQ
(member) Thu 05-Jan-12 21:58:58
Print Post

Is there any of your neighbours you could ask for their ADSL speeds (or preferably line attenuation from their router...)? Assuming they are on ADSL and not cable.
Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 05-Jan-12 23:51:25
Print Post

You don't have to get the phone line with BE

You can get the line from BT for £30 for an 18 month contract and make 10 chargeable or inclusive calls per month

Post Office are currently doing line installs for free from what I can see from the website - there may be conditions attached such as having to take their broadband as well thoug

Be* Unlimited
  Print Thread

Jump to