General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 06-Jan-12 09:38:57
Print Post

ADSL2+ & Skype: Worth switching to Annex M?

[link to this post]

Hi

I'm shortly to start working from home regularly and this will include fairly regular Skype meetings. I'm currently with Plusnet and get about 3.5-4 meg on speed tests (with a <400kbps upstream).

My exchange is - in theory at least - due to be upgraded to ADSL2+ soon and my line stats seem to suggest this will improve at least the downstream.

I believe that the upload speed will the quality of skype calls (eg HD requires >1.2 meg upload) but I'm not sure. Is it with switching to a business produce with Annex M or not? I can't see any other benefits to a business Product (I don't need 24/7 support etc just the best broadband possible).

Any advice appreciated!

Paul
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-Jan-12 09:50:15
Print Post

Re: ADSL2+ & Skype: Worth switching to Annex M?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

On Be Annex M was only worthwhile above a particular download speed, I think in excess of about 14Mb (possibly even more). Less than that and Annex M seldom made a significant difference. If your current ADSL is syncing at the speeds suggested by your speed tests then it is unlikely you would get a fast enough ADSL2+ connection to get benefit from Annex M.

If you post your modem stats for noise margin, attenuation and sync speeds then we may be able to get more specific.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 06-Jan-12 10:21:16
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thanks For the quick reply. My line stats are currently:

Down:

Speed 5056kbps
Attenuation 37 db
Margin 12 db

Up:
Speed 448kbps
Attenuation 10 db
Margin 25 db

Thanks

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User huwwatkins
(member) Fri 06-Jan-12 10:32:22
Print Post

Your margin is high and you should be syncing at around 7000kbps with that attenuation figure.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 06-Jan-12 10:39:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Thanks For the quick reply. My line stats are currently:

Down:

Speed 5056kbps
Attenuation 37 db
Margin 12 db

Up:
Speed 448kbps
Attenuation 10 db
Margin 25 db

Thanks

Paul
A annex m service may give you anything from 1.5 -2.0 mbits, it's difficult to be precise as the router stats in particular attenuation levels do get misreported by some brands of router, but you would certainly see a lot higher download speed and upstream than you are currently getting, as you would then be using ADSL2 +A upto 24mbits, down upto 1.4mbit up or (2.5mbit)

should you consider switching to a be service then maybe a good plan to do this via a reseller, who offers (be wholesale) such as xilo/uno as it's a 1 month rolling contract plus uk based cs
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 06-Jan-12 10:42:13
Print Post

[re: huwwatkins] [link to this post]

Thanks Huw - but is a high margin good? I've never sync'd at 7000 - it tends to vary only between the 5000s and 6000s (and by vary I mean once in a blue moon, the connection is very stable and the router only resets in the odd powercut etc)

Thanks

Paul
Standard User huwwatkins
(member) Fri 06-Jan-12 10:50:39
Print Post

The target noise margin is 6db and is only usually higher if there is a wiring fault/noise on the line.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 06-Jan-12 11:22:48
Print Post

Thanks both for your replies.

I guess if Annex A will possibly give 1.5 meg upstream then the best thing might be to see how the speed works out once the exchange is upgraded and go from there.

Thanks

Paul
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 06-Jan-12 12:49:56
Print Post

How long is it since you disconnected and reconnected? It's possible the high noise margin is just the result of conencting at a noisy time such as a thunderstorm. It might be worth a single re-conenction.

If the margin is around 12dB immediately after that, then you should get Plusnet to look into getting it reduced. It should do that automatically, by 3dB steps at intervals of 10-14 days if the line is stable and has low error rats, but that can fail and it sticks high.

You could get 832kbps now on ADSL if Plusnet support that. On ADSL2+ you will need to ask them to uncap it as they fix it at 448kbps by default, and unless they then cap it at 832kbps then you should connect at well over 1.2Mbps.

As has been said, Annex M will be of no real upload benefit and would almst certainly cost you over 2Mbps of download connection speed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-Jan-12 16:14:21
Print Post

You should be fine with 1meg upstream as you would get on ADSL2+ the only time you may have an issue is if several people where trying to use skype at the same time.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to