General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pspr33
(experienced) Tue 10-Jan-12 20:10:26
Print Post

Cable to ADSL migration - ISP recommendations +more

[link to this post]

Hi there,
I'm at the end of my tether with my current Virgin 50mbit connection and I'm jumping ship this weekend. I'm currently looking for a new provider.

At the moment, I'm getting HUGE packet loss (30+% is quite normal), high latency and poor download speeds at peak times ('high utilisation' - over subscription). Virgin are not willing to do anything to fix the problems I'm having and I'm not willing to pay the full amount for a sub par service. I'm currently having to use my phones data connection (3) to tether during peak hours.

Here is yesterdays 'thinkbroadband broadband quality monitor' graph: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/1dc1a7b2fa2...

Speedtest.net result: http://www.speedtest.net/result/1696925285.png
Pingtest.net result: http://www.pingtest.net/result/54173926.png

A ping test to a couple of UK game servers (taken at 21:39 - 09/01/12):

Ping statistics for 78.129.236.97:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 87, Lost = 13 (13% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 43ms, Maximum = 426ms, Average = 132ms

Ping statistics for 83.142.230.55:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 84, Lost = 16 (16% loss),
Minimum = 29ms, Maximum = 288ms, Average = 99ms

I'm currently out of the loop with regards to what services are famed as being the best with it comes to ADSL having migrating from Nildram to VM many years ago. BT broadband availability checker says this:

http://i.imgur.com/jcRcN.jpg

Would anyone give me any pointers as to what I should go for? I just want a stable connection that doesn't cost the earth, lets me use the connection how I want to with no limits or throttling, play online games with (little to) no lag and upload my photo backups as and when I please. I understand that no internet will be perfect all day, ever day but anything is more stable than my current connection. Any answers are very much appreciated.

Alex.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 10-Jan-12 20:47:37
Print Post

Re: Cable to ADSL migration - ISP recommendations +more

[re: pspr33] [link to this post]

The two main things we need to know are how much you download per month, and if it is a lot can it be scheduled to night-time, (off-peak), and how much are you willing to pay for the broadband itself. Remember you will also have to pay for landline line rental and possibly an "included" call package as well.

That line rental will be £10-£14pm, with an installation cost of £30 -£130 depending on what is present there now and what length of contract you will accept - one month up to 18 months.

The broadband contract will probably be 1, 3 or 12 months.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 10-Jan-12 20:48:54)

Standard User pspr33
(experienced) Tue 10-Jan-12 20:51:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The whole household will use between 50gb-100gb per month, most of that is streaming services and photo uploads.

Cost of the broadband itself I want to try and keep under £20 a month but I'm willing to push that to a few pound more if the service will be more reliable or have better CS.

The phone line will probably be with the Post Office as they're doing free line installation until March, a 30 day contract and the line rental includes a few free calling minutes.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 10-Jan-12 20:58:34
Print Post

[re: pspr33] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pspr33:
Hi there,
I'm at the end of my tether with my current Virgin 50mbit connection and I'm jumping ship this weekend. I'm currently looking for a new provider.

At the moment, I'm getting HUGE packet loss (30+% is quite normal), high latency and poor download speeds at peak times ('high utilisation' - over subscription). Virgin are not willing to do anything to fix the problems I'm having and I'm not willing to pay the full amount for a sub par service. I'm currently having to use my phones data connection (3) to tether during peak hours. As you have BE/02 LLU available in

Here is yesterdays 'thinkbroadband broadband quality monitor' graph: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/1dc1a7b2fa2...

Speedtest.net result: http://www.speedtest.net/result/1696925285.png
Pingtest.net result: http://www.pingtest.net/result/54173926.png

A ping test to a couple of UK game servers (taken at 21:39 - 09/01/12):

Ping statistics for 78.129.236.97:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 87, Lost = 13 (13% loss),
Minimum = 43ms, Maximum = 426ms, Average = 132ms

Ping statistics for 83.142.230.55:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 84, Lost = 16 (16% loss),
Minimum = 29ms, Maximum = 288ms, Average = 99ms

I'm currently out of the loop with regards to what services are famed as being the best with it comes to ADSL having migrating from Nildram to VM many years ago. BT broadband availability checker says this:

http://i.imgur.com/jcRcN.jpg

Would anyone give me any pointers as to what I should go for? I just want a stable connection that doesn't cost the earth, lets me use the connection how I want to with no limits or throttling, play online games with (little to) no lag and upload my photo backups as and when I please. I understand that no internet will be perfect all day, ever day but anything is more stable than my current connection. Any answers are very much appreciated.

Alex.
Hi, according to Sam knows exchange WMSTK BE/o2 LLU is enabled, So you could Take advantage of BE wholesale via a reseller/wholesale partner such as Here Here
No set up/migration fees and the possibility of a rolling monthly contract instead of being tied into a 3mth or 12 mths contract, there are also other's offering BE Wholesale products it's what i would do, and done in hindsight
Standard User azzercam
(newbie) Tue 10-Jan-12 21:19:23
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

To go with vivacity do you need to have an active bt line to sign up as i am currently switching away from virgin, i have signed up for talktalk atm with an install date near the end of the month. However have still been looking at other options. With vivacity i cant find a way to get the broadband without putting a bt line in.

Can you please advise.

Thanks
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 10-Jan-12 21:36:07
Print Post

[re: azzercam] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by azzercam:
To go with vivacity do you need to have an active bt line to sign up as i am currently switching away from virgin, i have signed up for talktalk atm with an install date near the end of the month. However have still been looking at other options. With vivacity i cant find a way to get the broadband without putting a bt line in.

Can you please advise.

Thanks
Yes to be able to get ADSL bb from any ISP requires a active bt line, They also do bt lines the install charge is cheaper than bt, and again no long contract as they are monthly too, bt will waive/reduce the standard connect fee but subject to you signing up for 12-18mths calling plan and you i believe cannot get Line rental saver (Reduced line rental £10.00 month 12ths payable in advance ) or you have the post office phone, a connection charge is only normally made if the line has no dial tone, if tone is present no charges should be made usually (source bt retail)
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 10-Jan-12 21:47:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:

Can you please advise.

Thanks
Yes to be able to get ADSL bb from any ISP requires a active bt line, They also do bt lines their install charge is cheaper than bt, and again no long contract as they are monthly too, bt will waive/reduce the standard connect fee but subject to you signing up for 12-18mths calling plan and you i believe cannot get Line rental saver (Reduced line rental £10.00 month 12ths payable in advance ) on lines that have benefited from a free/reduced (£30) connection fee, You have the post office phone, a connection charge is only normally made if the line has no dial tone, if tone is present no charges should be made usually (source bt retail)
Info on connection fee,new line

BT LRS T&C'S

BTW there are also several other telephony providers who can re-connect/activate install l BT lines ,and offer cheaper than bt calls too some with min term contract others no min term
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 10-Jan-12 22:01:11
Print Post

[re: azzercam] [link to this post]

Can you please advise.

Thanks
Even with talktalk which is Fully unbundled you will still need a working telephone line to be able to receive the adsl signal the only difference being that you will pay talk talk line rental and for calls made instead of bt the physical copper pair belongs to bt openreach
The main requirement for any ADSL service other than VM CABLE is the need for a working /active bt line
Standard User azzercam
(newbie) Tue 10-Jan-12 22:21:24
Print Post

thank you for clearing that up, i signed up for talktalk phone and broadand so they were fitting a new phone line for me. but after reading the bad reviews online and on these forums i started to look elsewhere. i have just phoned the post office and they are able to set up a new telephone line (paying them the line rental) for free with also a £50 credit to the account (£25 in month 4 and the same in month 7) there is only a monthly contract so if you cancel before the 4th/7th month you dont recieve the credits. this would give me free eve and w/end calls, free calls to mobiles on weekends and all for 12.25 per month... if i was to go with this offer then would i have to wait for the line to be installed to order the broadband from vivacity and would it work with a post office phone line, or could i arrange for the broadband to commence on the day the line is installed and activated?

sorry for so many questions but im completely new to changing isp's as i moved out of my parents house and went straight to virgin.

thanks again
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 10-Jan-12 22:38:08
Print Post

What has been implied but not said is that a "BT Line" does not mean it has to be from BT (Retail), which is what many people think.

The Post Office phone line is a BT Line. A TalkTalk line is not a "BT Line". Both however are provided by BT Openreach, but under different sorts of contract between them and Openreach. Simples - not frown !

A BT (Retail) line is a BT Line no different from the Post Office.

Vivaciti, cited just because they have been mentioned in the thread, depending on the broadband product required by the customer can offer either a "BT Line" or a TalkTalk line, or just let the broadband service run on a BT Line from any supplier such as BT (Retail), the Post Office, Plusnet, Primus etc., etc.

Sky also have both ways of providing the phone. If the customer takes Sky LLU Broadband then they have to take a Sky LLU phone. This is the same arrangement as TalkTalk. However if the customer just wants a phone line and not Sky broadband, then they provide a "BT Line" that allows most other ISPs to use it for their broadband.

That is all a bit confusing. It may help if people stuck trying to understand it have a read of this page about Full LLU and Partial LLU, (MPF/SMPF). It isn't a simple subject, but a key factor is whether the broadband is Sky LLU or TalkTalk LLU or a product sold by another ISP and using TalkTalk Wholesale. None of these are "BT Lines", nearly all others are. But some line providers only allow their own broadband on it, such as O2/Be.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to