General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 11-Jan-12 09:18:53
Print Post

Sky to Vivaciti?

[link to this post]

Hi, I am currently on Sky Unlimited broadband. I used to be on Be and with their package was able to control SNR and get about 2Mb/s more downstream and 300Kb/s more upstream than I get on Sky (and I am on the gamer profile on Sky). Be also had much more control. I moved to Sky to try out Anytime+ - well, been there, done that and it was all it wasn't cracked up to be.

So, my year is up. I am not using Anytime+ and want to get the extra bit of speed out of my line.

I am obviously on a Be exchange and have been looking at the Vivaciti Unlimited package (the up to 12Mb/s one because my line maxes out at almost exactly 12Mb/s).

Is this a better option than Be? My exchange was announced for FTTC in the last batch and is scheduled (supposedly) to get it by the end of this year so I don't want to be long term tied in to an ISP. Are Vivaciti as good as people say? Is there anyone else I should consider (I want LLU and the Be network works well). Do Vivaciti provide a router or require you to use theirs? I have a decent router already so don't need an ISP supplied one.

Anything else I am missing?

Thanks.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 11-Jan-12 10:14:02
Print Post

Re: Sky to Vivaciti?

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Hi, I am currently on Sky Unlimited broadband. I used to be on Be and with their package was able to control SNR and get about 2Mb/s more downstream and 300Kb/s more upstream than I get on Sky (and I am on the gamer profile on Sky). Be also had much more control. I moved to Sky to try out Anytime+ - well, been there, done that and it was all it wasn't cracked up to be.

So, my year is up. I am not using Anytime+ and want to get the extra bit of speed out of my line.

I am obviously on a Be exchange and have been looking at the Vivaciti Unlimited package (the up to 12Mb/s one because my line maxes out at almost exactly 12Mb/s).

Is this a better option than Be? My exchange was announced for FTTC in the last batch and is scheduled (supposedly) to get it by the end of this year so I don't want to be long term tied in to an ISP. Are Vivaciti as good as people say? Is there anyone else I should consider (I want LLU and the Be network works well). Do Vivaciti provide a router or require you to use theirs? I have a decent router already so don't need an ISP supplied one.

Anything else I am missing?

Thanks.
Are you unbundled o( FMPF) or ADSL only(SMPF) with sky ? as that will make a big difference for migrating away from sky,
BTW you can have both phone & ADSL with sky and still be (SMPF) llu, something you need to find out,
If you are only partial LLU'd (SMPF) then all that is required is a valid MAC code from sky,If you are Full LLU with sky ,then if you want to use the existing line, it would need to be returned to btwholesale, do this by requesting a return to donor from bt,

The existing sky services on that line would be ceased at the time it was swapped back over,then you would have to wait until the bt data base got updated so All (SMPF) or btwholesale ISP's could place an order on that line,

this can sometimes take upto 2 weeks, other alternative would be order a new line from one of many wholesale line providers,inc( bt retail) basically shop around for a deal that best suits you,
then order adsl from vivaciti on that line, and then unless you wanted a backup cease the sky, but you would loose your existing telephone number doing it that way
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 11-Jan-12 10:17:30
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Sorry, should have said. I only have broadband with Sky (so partial LLU) and have requested my MAC code. So, no issues with moving away.

Just wanted any info on Vivaciti and whether they are a good option (ie a better option than going to Be direct).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-Jan-12 14:35:49
Print Post

Xilo also do BE Wholesale

Be* Unlimited
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 11-Jan-12 14:59:21
Print Post

Sorry, should have said. I only have broadband with Sky (so partial LLU) and have requested my MAC code. So, no issues with moving away.

Just wanted any info on Vivaciti and whether they are a good option (ie a better option than going to Be direct).
Well by going with vivaciti or any of the other ISP selling the BE wholesale service ,
You will get support from that isp instead of BE support, so uk based support instead of overseas based, also the peering and routing will be vivaciti's and not BE retail,
So unlikely to ever see any tsunami's that a lot of BE retail customers saw last year.
Along with most other issues that can/do affect BE retail customers

I'm under no illusion's that BE retail /o2 network is run at near capacity in some areas /exchanges,

But to how good vivaciti's support is, i can't say but i would doubt that it would be worse than BE retail,
One of the main things as far as I'm concerned is what is their stance on potential line faults, and should there be issues that are within the isp's network or peering partners how long they take to fix the problem first time around,

I'm sure someone can clarify on this

Also as with most Resellers /Wholesalers there is no nanny state IWF filtering , that is renowned for not being correctly implemented by most of the main retail isp's

I'm not saying that BE retail give bad support but there is definitely room for improvement My opinion based on my findings
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 11-Jan-12 15:13:37
Print Post

[re: nredwood] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nredwood:
Xilo also do BE Wholesale
As do several other resellers , Xilo charge £40 to migrate in ,Vivaciti is free currently, then you have AAISP they put a usage cap on it , there are also others too
Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-Jan-12 15:20:34
Print Post

Not as many cheaper than Be Retail though

Be* Unlimited
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 11-Jan-12 15:57:07
Print Post

[re: nredwood] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nredwood:
Not as many cheaper than Be Retail though
Maybe not, but there are at least 2 so far that are,We could well see more in the near future, now that FTTC/P is being rolled out , but who knows ?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 12-Jan-12 23:34:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:

Well by going with vivaciti or any of the other ISP selling the BE wholesale service ,
You will get support from that isp instead of BE support, so uk based support instead of overseas based, also the peering and routing will be vivaciti's and not BE retail,
Sadly, you're confused. Vivaciti are only a reseller not an ISP - they don't have a forum here for example, just the resellers forum.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-Jan-12 07:12:07
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I think your logic is a bit floored there, I see a forum on here for the post office!

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to