General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Khan
(committed) Sun 15-Jan-12 23:08:50
Print Post

Speed: which ISP is telling the truth?

[link to this post]

Hi guys,

I'm making do with a tethered 3 connection and so I'm searching for a good ISP. I can't figure out who is telling me the truth.

I've moved to a new flat and had the BT line activated, hoping FTTC is enabled at the road... it's not. Anyway, now I'm stuck with a BT phone line for 12 month and on top of that, the line seems to be losing quality? I assume this because initially when I moved in, BT's own speed checker on bt.com was forecasting speeds of 5 mbit, then later on 3 mbit and now... 2.5 mbit. Worrying.

So I've been checking broadband speeds with various sites and this is what I get for my line:

BT = 2.5 mbit
Be = 3 mbit
O2 = 3 mbit
Plusnet = 2 mbit
TalkTalk = 6.6 mbit
Sky = 7.0 mbit - 14.3 mbit
Virgin = 6.9 mbit - 12.1 mbit

I'm confused.

Virgin and Sky look good but are those speeds true?

Can I get broadband only from Sky?

Please help as I really need to get broadband installed. The 3 network's erratic speeds of 1 mbit barely hold. It's torture! lol
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 15-Jan-12 23:28:01
Print Post

Re: Speed: which ISP is telling the truth?

[re: Khan] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Khan:
Hi guys,

I'm making do with a tethered 3 connection and so I'm searching for a good ISP. I can't figure out who is telling me the truth.

I've moved to a new flat and had the BT line activated, hoping FTTC is enabled at the road... it's not. Anyway, now I'm stuck with a BT phone line for 12 month and on top of that, the line seems to be losing quality? I assume this because initially when I moved in, BT's own speed checker on bt.com was forecasting speeds of 5 mbit, then later on 3 mbit and now... 2.5 mbit. Worrying.

So I've been checking broadband speeds with various sites and this is what I get for my line:

BT = 2.5 mbit
Be = 3 mbit
O2 = 3 mbit
Plusnet = 2 mbit
TalkTalk = 6.6 mbit
Sky = 7.0 mbit - 14.3 mbit
Virgin = 6.9 mbit - 12.1 mbit

I'm confused.

Virgin and Sky look good but are those speeds true?

Please help as I really need to get broadband installed. The 3 network's erratic speeds of 1 mbit barely hold. It's torture! lol
So, you have an active adsl service with BT or not ? if not the only real way to know what speeds are actually possible on that line are only apparent once the adsl service is active, all the isp's web site figures are only predictions based on the bt data base info, which is inaccurate to say the least, basically it's a guesstimate long long is a piece of string answer, only the lines attenuation figures give a more accurate result of what the line can support , so my advice would be go with an isp /reseller that offers a 1 month contract , that way you are not tied into any lengthy contracts should you fell it not a worthwhile venture , yes you may incur a cease charge but so what,? it's a a lot less than being charged for any remaining unused contract period or being held ransom to the short coming of the chosen isp ,
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 15-Jan-12 23:30:04
Print Post

Copy and past the text from https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html hiding your phone number. This gives a number of speeds usually.

Virgin - avoid like the plague, as that is the Virgin National service by the look of it. NOT their cable services

Sky, Be, O2 and TalkTalk should all be similar speeds as they offer the same technology.

Reality is until the line is enabled you cannot really predict the speed accurately, as the numbers are various estimates

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 15-Jan-12 23:39:04
Print Post

The line will not have lost quality, but the estimated speed when you get a new line will be around the speed available on that phone number wherever it was located before, with the previious subscriber with that number.

It takes 2-3 days usually for that estimate to be replaced by one based on your postcode, and that is probably what has happened.

I suggest two ways of finding what the real speeds in your area are:-

1) Ask some neighbours;

2) Check your postcode on this map, which shows the results of thinkbroadband speed tests. You will need to "Enable" the relevant item in the left-hand menu.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Khan
(committed) Mon 16-Jan-12 00:09:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Copy and past the text from https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html hiding your phone number. This gives a number of speeds usually.

For Telephone Number 01753XXXXXX on Exchange SLOUGH MAIN

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 2Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 2.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 4Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 500Kbps and downstream line speed of 2.5Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 1Mbps and 4Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

Thank you for your interest.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

Virgin - avoid like the plague, as that is the Virgin National service by the look of it. NOT their cable services

Yep, their website says there is no cable broadband on my road, but about 50 yards down the road on another, my brother has cable broadband.

Sky, Be, O2 and TalkTalk should all be similar speeds as they offer the same technology.

Sky and TalkTalk suggest roughly 6-7 mbit but Be and O2 about 3 mbit. I don't know what to do.

Reality is until the line is enabled you cannot really predict the speed accurately, as the numbers are various estimates

Hmm I may pick Sky but am I able to join Sky without taking their TV and calls options? Or maybe I should do what Anonymous suggested: join a reseller ISP's 1-month contract deal to test speeds.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 16-Jan-12 00:28:03
Print Post

Hmm I may pick Sky but am I able to join Sky without taking their TV and calls options? Or maybe I should do what Anonymous suggested: join a reseller ISP's 1-month contract deal to test speeds.
You don't have to take Sky TV, but you do have to take both Sky Line Rental and Sky Talk.

As you are in a 12-month contract for the line rental with BT you are in shtuck for that one!

What speeds does the map show? Ignore any over 25Mbps as those will be cable or FTTC.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Khan
(committed) Mon 16-Jan-12 00:37:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The line will not have lost quality, but the estimated speed when you get a new line will be around the speed available on that phone number wherever it was located before, with the previious subscriber with that number.

It takes 2-3 days usually for that estimate to be replaced by one based on your postcode, and that is probably what has happened.

Ah that explains it, I see what you mean. I was worrying my line might be bad.

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I suggest two ways of finding what the real speeds in your area are:-

1) Ask some neighbours;

2) Check your postcode on this map, which shows the results of thinkbroadband speed tests. You will need to "Enable" the relevant item in the left-hand menu.

Good idea. I'll see if I can ask the neighbours.

I checked the map and there was a few Virgin cable speedtests showing up near my area but nothing for my road.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 16-Jan-12 00:39:51
Print Post

For Telephone Number 01753XXXXXX on Exchange SLOUGH MAIN

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 2Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 2.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 4Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 500Kbps and downstream line speed of 2.5Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 1Mbps and 4Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

Thank you for your interest.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

Yep, their website says there is no cable broadband on my road, but about 50 yards down the road on another, my brother has cable broadband.

Sky and TalkTalk suggest roughly 6-7 mbit but Be and O2 about 3 mbit. I don't know what to do.

H i it's me again, sky and tt talk talk are now both fully llu , in short they take over both phone (line rent & calls) & adsl , and can be both costly and a right pain in the arras to get away from should you become a unhappy camper later on,and want to switch isp and the MAC code process don't apply to them so basically it is unregulated , i ve given my views , it's your choice i'm afraid , but weigh up the options 12/18 mths contract vs 1 mths contract maybe + a cease charge if things didn't work out , the BT not so accurate checker reports that on asdl2+ my line will support speeds between 8-12.5 mbps and an upstream speed of 1mbps, i currently have a downstream sync of 17mbps and over 1 mbit upstream , so their estimates are very conservative usually but , that also can work adversely too
Standard User hareng
(learned) Mon 16-Jan-12 00:45:41
Print Post

Pretty much limited to an individual reseller such as ADSL24 or O2/BE on (ADSL2+) LLU. Good news is you will get good customer support from those three.
Keep a look out for when BT line contract expires, its a rolling contract thats how they hang on to punters.

I wouldnt pay much attention to the maps, i must have submitted 20 to 30 tests over the years plus the last 9 months at decent speeds. None show above 0.5meg on that mapping i aint been that low for 3 years since ADSL.
This site test 15meg, speedtest 37.44meg within a few secs of each other, somethings wrong.
Standard User aramsay
(member) Mon 16-Jan-12 19:33:41
Print Post

From what I can tell, Sky will do broadband without taking their TV service; and there's a pretty good deal on too

But as you're tied into a 12 month line rental with BT, Sky may not be an option for you, as I believe that you need to take their line rental (rather than BT's).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to