General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Buckly999
(newbie) Tue 17-Jan-12 17:01:07
Print Post

Will my speed decrease ?

[link to this post]

Hi,
Hopefully not a thick question smile

I am currently with talk talk, get speeds of 3MB, which is up on my previous of 1MB from BT, however I did follow some tips on the internet that I believe helped improve the speed. (cut the bell wire)

I am currently looking at moving, my aim is to get the fastest speed possible not cost based (within reason), Talk Talk is LLU, as is Sky, and ASDL 2 is being installed before March 12.

My question is, if I move to sky, who at present show my download speeds esimated at between 2-5Mb, will I lose out on the ASDL 2 that is being installed.

Or am I just over complicating things, and it doesnt matter who I use.

Thanks in advance for helping a very confused person.

Also will a decent router make a difference to speed ?
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Jan-12 17:09:44
Print Post

Re: Will my speed decrease ?

[re: Buckly999] [link to this post]

It does not matter who you use, if you are going to be on ADSL2+(LLU) then the connection speed will be the same.
The exception is if you are going on ADSL2+ (BT Based) as you will then have the BT profile system that can make a difference on the line.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 17-Jan-12 19:11:27
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by vivaciti:
... then have the BT profile system that can make a difference on the line.
I don't think it does really these days. Instant updates, and 88.28% of profile. Depends how much of that 88.28% can be turned into real throughput of course, but for example on O2/Be it is impossible to get throughput above 84% of sync.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 17-Jan-12 19:15:30
Print Post

Can you see if you can find and post your line stats from your router. See here for help finding them.

Also, if you are able to do that, please do a dosconnect and reconnect immediately before reading the ones you are going to post. That will give us good information about your line, so that we can give you far more accurate figures than the estimates in the databases.

Do you have a stable connection, or does it disconnect at times?

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Jan-12 08:35:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It does although granted not as much as it used to, but still lose some of your throughput from it, and it does still cause problems when someone has a line issue, or just trying new kit etc.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User Buckly999
(newbie) Wed 18-Jan-12 09:30:21
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

Thanks for all your promt replies, much appreciated.

One of the reason I am looking to get away from talk talk, is that the line disconnects on a regular basis (or at least appears to), and on Sunday I lost connectivity completely. After many hours on the phone to level 1 & 2, I spoke to level 3 yesterday, who was fantastic, he talked about my connection speeds being all over the place, which could be down to me not having filters in every socket, but even connected to the master socket directly, something was to high and meant that the LAN was constant. (cant remember what that was)

The result is that he is sending me a new router (+filters), and given me instructions to get the router results so I will publish them on here to, as the user name + password did not work on the current router.

I have regained internet connection again this morning, albeit at snails pace.

Once again thanks, some of the technology talk is sort off making sense now.
Standard User Buckly999
(newbie) Wed 18-Jan-12 21:47:39
Print Post

Upstream line rate 64
Downstream 576
Upstream SNR 3
Downstream SNR 8.4
Upstream line 31.5
Downstream line 63.5
Upstream output 10.7
Downstream output 14.8
Upstream crc 8
Downstream crc 0
Upstream fec 0
Downstream fec 4

I used to get a speed of 3.5 mb now I only get 0.5 mb, and it takes over an hour to connect to the Internet if not longer if I turn the router off.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 18-Jan-12 22:34:48
Print Post

Well from that and what you have told us earlier we can see there is a fault somewhere, but until you have the new router and filter it's imoossible to say much more, as it could easily be the router or a filter.

Have you tried changing the filter?

Errrrmmmmm.

Does the landline phone work OK? (Just in case you spoke to them using a mobile).

Standard User Buckly999
(newbie) Thu 19-Jan-12 09:08:18
Print Post

Tired different filters, but still no joy, as I left the house today I noticed it had stopped working again.

New router should be here tommorow, in terms of the phone line, I actually dont use it and havent even got one plugged in (everything is text now days!), I shall take the works one home tonight and try that.

Thanks !
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 19-Jan-12 09:30:52
Print Post

The reason I ask is that this sort of huge drop in sync can happen when one wire of the pair has become disconnected somewhere.

Broadband can work very crippled using one. Phone can't - it needs both.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to