General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sadkate
(newbie) Thu 19-Jan-12 11:03:18
Print Post

Will Plusnet be affected by Vodafone move?

[link to this post]

Apologies: I don't really understand how it all works and I'm finding it hard to learn from the internet!

I'm changing ISP soon. With Talktalk and considering moving to Plusnet. I've found that Talktalk is unreliable: speed is fine for us but there's a lot of 'red light on the router' time. The internet just seems to be down a lot without explanation.

Plusnet gets good reliability reviews compared to Talktalk and say BT. ( I'm not sure why that would be - I thought all the ADSL (not fibre or cable) providers were just reselling the wholesale BT service?)

However, I've read something about Vodafone broadband being migrated to Plusnet in February. Does this mean a big influx of new users and consequently a poorer service do you think?

Thanks, Kate
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 19-Jan-12 11:19:26
Print Post

Re: Will Plusnet be affected by Vodafone move?

[re: sadkate] [link to this post]

Welcome to the forums sadkate smile.

I would imagine the number of customers on Vodafone is quite small compared to Plusnet's, and that the reason Vodafone are passing them on is because of that. Costing them more than it's worth I expect.

As for Plusnet themselves, they have a good record of providing new capacity when needed. However you need to be sure you are happy with their traffic management policies. Have a read of this page, which includes a link to the primary traffic management info. There are other related pages on the Plusnet site as well, about things like traffic prioritisation running alongside the speed tables.

Are you sure you don't have a fixable line fault? Or have TalkTalk been hopeless at getting it sorted?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 19-Jan-12 12:07:27
Print Post

if the red light is the ADSL light, then it may be something that changing ISP does not fix.

The TalkTalk routers usually have stats at http://192.168.1.1 and clicking the DSL icon displays them. Posting a copy of those figures will help us judge if issue looks like line, or something ISP side.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User sadkate
(newbie) Thu 19-Jan-12 14:21:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks folks.

It's not doing it just now so I can't say for certain but I'm pretty sure it's the 'internet' light rather than the 'DSL' one which goes.

I have contacted them about it but the problem is intermittent and, as their first advice is usually "Switch it off and on again," by the time you do that and phone them back the problem has often gone.

I think at one point they offered to send a guy out but they were so cagey about what they would do for free and what we might have to pay for that I bottled it.

I've just had a look the config page and the DSL summary says:

System Uptime 71:22:00

Modem DSL(Sync) uptime 0:48:01

ADSL Mode ADSL2 PLUS

Interleaving On

DSL Line Speed
up 1018 kbps

down 17291 kbps

Line Attenuation
up 5.6

down 12.0

SN Margin
up 6.2

down 5.9

Ta.

Total Errors Seconds 1
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 19-Jan-12 14:27:07
Print Post

At that Attenuation you should be getting the full 24 Meg.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 19-Jan-12 14:28:37
Print Post

Good stats.

Are you connecting wired or wireless to the router, and next time it happens please can you confirm the red light? I don't know that router but expect there is a Wireless light as well as the Internet and DSL ones?

Is the router getting very hot?

It feels to me like an external problem, but if it is, whether it is the line from you to the exchange and through to the TT kit, or whether it is that kit, is another question.

You to the exchange would not alter things by migrating. Within the exchange almost everything would change.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User sadkate
(newbie) Thu 19-Jan-12 15:08:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

OK, I'm connecting wirelessly with laptop and phones but using a wired connection through hotplugs for my telly and PVR. Hotplug setup put in about 10 months ago and didn't seem to alter anything. Wireless light is always on and the signal around the house is good. Router was replaced 18 months ago and again that didn't have any effect. I have even gone back to the old router a couple of times to see what happens but nothing changes.

Will check where the red light is next time. Am 99% certain it's internet as I have concluded over time that it's not my setup that's causing the grief.

The router is ever so slightly warm but not at all hot.

I'm about a third of a mile from the exchange and we are off the main public road so the telephone wires come in on poles through some trees.

Thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 19-Jan-12 16:04:43
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Yeah it is 3 or more meg lower than I'd expect.

Also the modem has shown a resync 48 minutes ago, while the router has been up and running for a few days. So may be the DSL is dropping out.

When the internet light is red, go get the same stats out of the modem, I have a feeling you may find the downstream noise margin is very close to zero, i.e. 1 or 2dB. The TalkTalk hardware hangs onto the sync very well, too well sometimes to the point the connection is not working, but there is still sync. If the issue with low margin goes away quickly this can be faster than the modem dropping and reconnecting, but if the issue goes on for sometime it can give the effect of a very bad connection to the ISP, or none.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User sadkate
(newbie) Thu 19-Jan-12 16:30:12
Print Post

OK I'm on the lookout for red lights and will come back with more info.

Gives me a good excuse to surf the net all evening...

Thanks for all your help so far.
Standard User sadkate
(newbie) Wed 15-Feb-12 17:36:31
Print Post

Hello again. I'm back and obviously I have a more reliable connection than I thought because I've been watching the thing like a hawk and it hasn't dropped for ages!

Just spotted a red light though (on the 'internet' light). Didn't have the computer on and by the time it booted up the light was back to green, however here are the DSL stats from about a minute after:
System Uptime 116:35:35

Modem DSL(Sync) uptime 116:34:39

ADSL Mode ADSL2 PLUS

Interleaving On

DSL Line Speed
up 1020 kbps
down 17340 kbps

Line Attenuation
up 5.5
down 12.0

SN Margin
up 7.0
down 5.9

Total Errors Seconds 276

STRAAANGE goings on though and I have a feeling I have unearthed a right can of worms. I will explain on the off chance that it rings a bell with anyone...

We have a smart telly and PVR which are wired to the router via a hot plug (electric socket thing). One/both of these is misbehaving and it SEEMS to be linked to static. The HDMI connection periodically fails when playing back from the PVR to the telly. The problem can be triggered or solved by touching the telly casing, which usually yields an electric shock. Today, I've been noticing a lot of static. I switched on the PVR and started playing back. After a few seconds the HDMI failed and the internet light went red. When the thing righted itself soon after, the internet did too. Also, from my limited understanding of those DSL stats, it looks to me like they don't recognise that downtime.

Coincidence or some impossibly convoluted connection between static and internet and telly misbehaviour?

Any wisdom would be appreciated! Ta, K
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to