General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gdavid
(member) Thu 19-Jan-12 20:16:39
Print Post

How to provision for a tenant

[link to this post]

I am trying to sort out a problem for my Brother who is renting out his Annexe. It is a new build so no existing connection. I have arranged with BT to provide for a phone connection and is due to be connected next month. I have asked for it twice to be on the basic phone service with no long contract. So far after two days the order on the BT site has not been updated to show the change.

However the real problem is that we do not wish to get involved apart from the initial setup. We need the Tenant to be responsible for all the billing for phone and broadband on a rolling 1 month contract. I think that if BT is used then it is only an 18 month contract - don't know if they are able to cope with the Tenant changing at 6 monthly intervals.

I have been in contact with ADSL24 who have such a plan but cannot see if they are truly competitive with BT. But I am assuming that if BT cannot accept a change of user then you are into a cease and provide. I am also not sure if the prices shown on the BT site include VAT. They show a line rental of £10/month but I thought it was more than that.

Any help or ideas would be welcome.

Regards

David
Standard User ian007jen
(member) Thu 19-Jan-12 20:47:25
Print Post

Re: How to provision for a tenant

[re: gdavid] [link to this post]

Hi

Your best bet is not get involved at all; let the tenant order the phone line.

Tell the tenant to try the post office for cheapest instalation at the moment; £0

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/sites/default/files/New%...

Ian

Edited by ian007jen (Thu 19-Jan-12 20:58:16)

Standard User rarrar
(member) Thu 19-Jan-12 21:13:18
Print Post

Your brother might want to seek advice on putting restrictions in the tenancy agreement about entering into long-term contracts for phone, broadband and other utilities; they might cause problems if they still have months to run after the tenant leaves.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 19-Jan-12 23:36:33
Print Post

Any new line with BT is subject to an 18 month contract.

Let tenant sort out his own line. Any contract is between them and the supplier.
In reply to a post by gdavid:
I am also not sure if the prices shown on the BT site include VAT. They show a line rental of £10/month but I thought it was more than that.
All BT Residential, if that's what you are referring to, prices are VAT inclusive, as they are required by law to be.

Line rental is £14.60 pm if paid with normal billing. However you can pay 1 year in advance with Line Rental Saver, equivalent to £10 pm.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User gdavid
(member) Fri 20-Jan-12 11:01:04
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks to all who replied.

Your comments are taken on board and will re-arrange this with another company who are happy to have a regular change of user and leave the Landlord out of the loop.

Regards

David
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 20-Jan-12 12:16:53
Print Post

Broadband could still be an issue, as when his phone gets ceased the broadband also ceases, and there will probably be a cease charge of £29 for that from the ISP. And that's if you are lucky! What if the tenant has taken a 12 or 18-month contract?

What if, even worse, the tenant takes full LLU on Sky or TalkTalk? Or aren't they available at that exchange?

I think by far the safest course of action is the rent to include an "anytime" phone and either an unlimited broadband or a monthly contract one such as Plusnet where excess usage can, in effect, be prevented.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 20-Jan-12 12:25:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by gdavid:
Thanks to all who replied.

Your comments are taken on board and will re-arrange this with another company who are happy to have a regular change of user and leave the Landlord out of the loop.
Not sure what you mean there. Do you mean a contract with the landlord but billing the tenant?

If so, what happens if the tenant defaults on payment and disappears? The company will go for the landlord. Also see my post not long ago about who the broadband is with.

What proportion of tenants aren't going to want broadband anyway? By your brother providing and including it they have it immediately on moving in. That has to be a selling point rather than them having to wait for connection, possibly of the line itself - which could put off more than are lost by the higher base rental.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User gdavid
(member) Fri 20-Jan-12 16:59:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for your help. I think whatever option you choose there can be a problem.

In the end I have got rid of the BT involvement and what a pain it was to deal with them.

I have found a company who is happy to have the line in the tenants name which takes us out of the loop. At the end of the tenancy there will be no cease - just a change of name from one tenant to another. The letting agency is writing in a clause to exclude entering contracts and changing to LLU.

Regards

David
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 20-Jan-12 17:21:01
Print Post

That's looking better. What about the broadband though? Do you mean that is also provided by the "line" company? That would be OK, though I expect you would have to pay during any discontinuity of tenant? (The ISP will be getting charged).

Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Fri 20-Jan-12 18:17:40
Print Post

The tenants can just set things up

If they choose FULL LLU the next tenant will have to cease and reprovide. Again - their problem not yours.

I don't see why you're worrying about it...

If you put the bill in your name and bill the tenants - if they run up a huge bill and don't pay it's your credit affected.

If they have it setup in their name and don't pay - it's their credit.

& this allows people to choose which ISP they want. Not everybody wants to be with whatever ISP for whatever reason. This is how things are normally done in the rental sector anyway
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to