General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User arad85
(newbie) Fri 20-Jan-12 12:46:42
Print Post

From Be to which FTTC provider

[link to this post]

I'm currently with BeThere and am sufficiently far from the exchange that I only get 4Mbit/s. Whilst I'm very happy with Be as a company FTTC is supposed to arrive within the next 3 months and I'm thinking of jumping ship to someone else. I work from home and can move a lot of data in a month (I have to upload gigabyte files for people at work at reasonably frequent intervals and have to download similar files more often - this takes an age at 4Mbit down/1Mbit up!!). I'm on the net almost all day, run several websites, have 6+ PCs and would like to stream iPlayer - I'm a heavy user!!! The things that I need are:

- Unlimited & unmanaged service (as BeThere provide me now)
- Proper "fair usage policy" that isn't effectively a cap
- No blocked ports
- Static IP

I'm prepared to pay, probably up to ~£50/month for a good provider. Looking at the spreadsheet provided, there only seem to be a few providers who do truly unlimited,

ClaraNet SOHO 40/10 business looks good to me (if a little pricey). Is it better than the BT offering (they still traffic shape don't they - is it only P2P they shape now?). I'm a little concerned by the 24 month contract, but I'm not likely to move.

Any alternatives?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 20-Jan-12 12:54:38
Print Post

Re: From Be to which FTTC provider

[re: arad85] [link to this post]

I can't really advise on what's best for you, but so far as I know you are right in thinking that BT only shape P2P. Don't take my word for it though.

As for migrating, don't do it before you can go straight to FTTC with your chosen ISP. First, the anticipated availability of FTTC can be wrong by months, even changing during the expected month, (which checker are you using anyway, and are you giving it your phone number, not post code or address?), and second, if there is any delay then Be might have an offering anyway by then. They do have a trial running.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 20-Jan-12 12:56:13
Print Post

Additionally - you would need the BT Business package to get a static IP address with them.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User arad85
(newbie) Fri 20-Jan-12 12:58:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks. I'm not budging until FTTC is actually here as it was supposed to be here this time last year wink. I'm very happy with Be - by far the best ISP I've been with since I started (back in 2000). The promise of a near 10x improvement (it claims 31.4 down and up to 12.3 up) are just too much to pass up though.

Using the BT checker with phone number and post code.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 20-Jan-12 13:08:40
Print Post

I was very close to jumping ship to an FTTC provider but when I weighed up the pros and cons of leaving Be I just couldn't face it. Speaking at length with BT gave me more doubts about their offer than ever. They were so careful not to answer my questions fully especially over guaranteed speeds traffic shaping etc etc.

In the end I rang Be to ask when they'd get their act together. The result was a 50% discount in subscription rate! So now I shall wait it out for Be to offer FTTC smile
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 20-Jan-12 13:16:04
Print Post

I left Be which had 7Meg up, 1 down. Now on BT FTTC at 34.5 down, 1.6 up. Happy enough most of the time, but you have to remember that the interenet itself is cluttered with all of this P2P and watching live TV on line. Bxxxxy Daft, as that is NOT wha tthe interenet is about, it is a one to many service, not a one to one service.

Anyway, BBC iPlayer downloads can be as little as a claieed 2Mb/s and a half hour TV programme can take 15 minutes to download. I think that is becasue it is P2P in behind the iPlayer branding. That did not get slowed down with Be.

For live.com and dropbox it seems great.
Standard User arad85
(newbie) Fri 20-Jan-12 13:39:22
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
watching live TV on line. Bxxxxy Daft, as that is NOT wha tthe interenet is about,
Try telling that to BT who are part of the YouView consortium wink

To be honest, that's one reason I want a decent broadband package (over and above moving large datasets around for work). If the bandwidth is there, we'll use it to stream HD content (the only DVD/BluRay players we have are in PCs to rip material when it comes in to store on a central server - the whole house is networked). Streamed iPlayer content noticably slows the internet with Be.

I am FAR from a normal home user - hence why I'm not after the cheapest option. I'm after the most reliable.

Has anyone used Clara.net? The very few reviews seem to be very mixed and the clara.net section of this forum is devoid of any useful content.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 20-Jan-12 14:05:19
Print Post

Has anyone used Clara.net?
The best place to ask that may be in the WHich ISP? (Business) forum, as they are, (I believe), primarily a business ISP. They are very rarely mentioned in this one, nor in General Braodband chatter.

I have one friend who has been with them for many years, and is perfectly content, but he is a very light user - even older than me.

Standard User arad85
(newbie) Fri 20-Jan-12 14:07:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks Roberto - will post there now smile
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Jan-12 16:23:41
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I jumped to BT Infinity (from Be) as soon as it was available, (in fact I was the first on my cab) that was 8 months ago and haven't regretted it yet. P2P is shaped but since I don't use it, it isn't a problem. iPlayer etc all seem to work just fine.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Say it with flowers, give her a Triffid smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to