General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Richeh
(committed) Sat 21-Jan-12 14:01:52
Print Post

Inbetween ISP?

[link to this post]

Hello,
Unfortunately, due to circumstances I am moving back to my parents house at the beginning of March after living by myself for 4 years with my lovely BE connection (syncs about 23MB 2MB up). My parents live off the beaten path as it were and their exchange BALDSLOW is ADSL Max enabled as well as some LLU providers Sky being one. Now the exchange is due to be enabled for FTTC from the 01/03/12. I'm aware these dates can change but we're getting closer and the date still hasn't shifted so i'm hoping it will be available shortly.

As I will be moving home in the first week of March I would want to have the net setup ready for me as I use it daily. My parents have Sky and can get Sky unlimited for £7.50 a month BUT its a 12 month contract, est speeds 4-9MB down, 1.5 up. Are there any ISP's that are decent, unlimited and still do a monthly contract or has anyone had Sky let them take up a 1 month contract for paying a little more a month?

Is a bit of an awkward situation now as most ISP's are minimum 12 months frown

BE 24MB:
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 2,433 / 23,389
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 21-Jan-12 14:26:20
Print Post

Re: Inbetween ISP?

[re: Richeh] [link to this post]

Have you any idea about speed estimates for the address, other than what Sky say?

This package uses the TalkTalk exchange equipment. It's a decent price for the basic package and should suit suit most people. The addon is expensive though.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 21-Jan-12 14:26:55)

Standard User Richeh
(committed) Sat 21-Jan-12 15:00:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sam Knows puts it at 3-7MB, I remember I was getting about 3.5-4 when I lived their previously but that was before LLU was available.

I have to admit I have heard nothing but bad things of TalkTalk as Vivaciti are a reseller I assume they should be ok? Although as it will be a new connection i'm not keen on paying a £48 activation fee, although if I am looking at monthly contracts I assume there isn't much chance of avoiding this?

Cheers for the help.

BE 24MB:
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 2,433 / 23,389

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 21-Jan-12 15:35:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by Richeh:
I remember I was getting about 3.5-4 when I lived their previously but that was before LLU was available.
If that's all you were getting on ADSL1 and there's nothing wrong with the wiring, ADSL2+ LLU won't increase it frown

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 21-Jan-12 16:08:18
Print Post

I haven't seen complaints about the standard price option, but note the FUP and peak time speeds description. There's at least one poster with the file addon who is very pleased, and there's definitely a few here on it without the addon.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
  Print Thread

Jump to