General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User deepdishdj
(newbie) Mon 30-Jan-12 04:11:11
Print Post

Which ISP to choose?

[link to this post]

Hello all am new to the forums and am looking for a bit of advice.

I currently have BE broadband in my flat and will be moving from them come April as the performance of late has been a bit iffy for xbox live. I have my phone line with them as well and have used various different checkers to see what services are available in my area (Abbeyhill exchange in Edinburgh).

I don't mind paying a little more for a quality service and I download very little a month, all I want is the lowest possible pings and jitter and for my gaming traffic not to be pushed from pillar to post.

Here are some of my stats.

Uptime: 0 days, 0:20:52
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 980 / 7,783
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,005 / 8,114
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 18.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 18.0 / 33.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 15.5 / 14.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 875
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 261 / 0

Any help would be much appreciated.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Jan-12 09:31:35
Print Post

Re: Which ISP to choose?

[re: deepdishdj] [link to this post]

Considered Andrews & Arnold if your usage pattern fits their charging system?

BTW you line is being held back speed rise, by what looks to be a high target noise margin.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User deepdishdj
(newbie) Tue 31-Jan-12 03:39:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I have been thinking about going with AAISP or XILO but was not sure what one to go with. Cost is not that much of an issue but reliability is.

I am on that profile because I asked BE to put me on the most stable config and I suppose that is what they put me on.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 31-Jan-12 06:07:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by deepdishdj:
I have been thinking about going with AAISP or XILO but was not sure what one to go with. Cost is not that much of an issue but reliability is.

I am on that profile because I asked BE to put me on the most stable config and I suppose that is what they put me on.
May i ask why you requested this, where you getting frequent disconnects or something?, if you where then that could well be due to a line fault, or dodgy router / filter, The only thing a higher Target snr will do is lower the sync rate and mask to a degree the underlying fault if present, & this would more than likely follow you so matter which isp you go to,Most isp's will gladly increase the margins instead of calling openreach out
Standard User benbird7
(experienced) Tue 31-Jan-12 11:54:27
Print Post

Can vouch for Xilo. Was going to go over to Sky with a free for a year broadband. To me I'd rather pay 18a month knowing the service I've had with them for the last couple of years, support tickets if submitted a replied very quickly during the day/week.

Regards,

Ben Bird

Xilo <--- The dog's danglies!
3km from Exchange
Downstream Att 61DB.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User deepdishdj
(newbie) Wed 01-Feb-12 00:12:24
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I Contacted BE around 4 months ago saying I felt like I was getting lag spikes when playing on xbox live and they recommended putting me on normal adsl and not adsl2+ and putting me on this profile.

I very rarely get disconnected with BE. I think it has only happened around 4 times and that has been in the last month or so. My pings and jitter are normally pretty good but alot of the time I just feel like I'm lagging when playing online especially around peek times.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 01-Feb-12 00:25:40
Print Post

You are on ADSL2+. That's what G.993.5 is. But your connection time noise margin seems to be set at 15dB, instead of the normal 6dB. That decreases the speed enormously, but should help stability, which was the required result.

What you really want is ADSL2, G.993.2. If you had a suitable tweakable router you could force it yourself.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User deepdishdj
(newbie) Wed 01-Feb-12 01:24:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That was some older router stats (around three weeks old) from a thread on the BE forums. I work away from home three weeks at a time and they recommended that I changed it to adsl. Sorry I should have made that clear.

What router would you recommend?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 01-Feb-12 01:32:10
Print Post

What have you got?

Newer ones don't seem to be tweakable.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User deepdishdj
(newbie) Wed 01-Feb-12 04:03:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I have the standard Thomson ST585 v7 that I got from BE, I also have ZyXEL Prestige 660R-D1 Compact ADSL 2+ Router. I bought it as a back up but BE say that it wont work although I have tried to get it to work but I am not very tech minded.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to