General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dstretch
(learned) Mon 30-Jan-12 18:13:23
Print Post

Real "unlimited", unthrottled 8Mb ADSL?

[link to this post]

Does such a nirvana exist?

I've finally had enough of TalkTalk Business due to my evening speeds dropping to around 0.3Mbps when they're at 5-6Mb out of peak hours. TalkTalk say it's congestion between my exchange and their network which I guess means I should be able to switch to another ISP without problems. I started off with Nildram and had a full 7Mbps connection at all times before TalkTalk ended up with them frown

I want to be able to download PC games from Steam and stream Netflix without worrying about tripping over a ridiculously low peak-time cap.

My exchange hasn't been LLUed, has no ADSL2 and no date for Fibre.

I've looked at IDNet who look good from their "no throttling / traffic management" perspective, but they have a ludicrously low 40GB (peak) cap per month frown Three PC games from Steam will eat that up straight away.

I keep hearing that BT are properly unlimited usage now, but how's their throttling for general evening use and streaming video services?

I generally have no P2P use (unless a game installer uses it for the download) and don't use Usenet.

Is BT Business a better bet than BT retail?

Thanks in advance
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 30-Jan-12 19:34:43
Print Post

Re: Real "unlimited", unthrottled 8Mb ADSL?

[re: dstretch] [link to this post]

Does such a nirvana exist?

Yep as long as you are prepared to pay for it wink

e.g. from one ISP:- £100+VAT per month (Business package) or around £40 inc VAT for 120GB usage a month (residential package)

The Wonderer
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Jan-12 19:47:16
Print Post

BT pretty much claim to only manage P2P traffic these days on consumer products.

So if after the high usage peak time and no LLU, then BT Total Option 3 is maybe the way to go.

TalkTalk Business on an IPStream is something I would not expect to perform well. Investment in capacity probably ended when Nildram went.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ripley
(committed) Mon 30-Jan-12 20:00:07
Print Post

I moved from Talk Talk to Zen, never looked back!

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
DrayTek 2850 VN
Standard User dstretch
(learned) Tue 31-Jan-12 08:52:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

That sounds perfect to me, I'm not fussed if they throttle my incredibly minimal P2P traffic smile

Thanks again!
  Print Thread

Jump to