General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User FilC
(newbie) Thu 09-Feb-12 09:34:44
Print Post

Talk Talk in Anglesey

[link to this post]

I am currently with sky broadband and want to change. After looking around the only good deal I can find is talk talk, but I am a bit suspicious as my local exchange is just ADSL max with no LLU (as reported by SamKnows )

Talk Talk is offering me the £3.40 a month deal for 12 months, which I thought would be for they LLU only! I rang now a couple of times and both confirmed that they would honour this deal (also available on-line)! Is that possible that they would offer me this even though they would have to go through BT to provide me Internet?

Thanks for your help,
Fil
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 09-Feb-12 09:38:59
Print Post

Re: Talk Talk in Anglesey

[re: FilC] [link to this post]

SamKnows is not always right, if the TalkTalk checker says you can get their cheap (rather than £15 surcharge) ones then it will be LLU, or they have exchange ear marked for the next few months.

£3.40 a month on non-LLU will be congested to the hilt, since they are losing around £5 a month before you even plug your modem in.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 09-Feb-12 09:47:18
Print Post

See what vivaciti or ADSL24 have to say. Some of their packages use the TalkTalk LLU MSANs at exchanges, though not the TalkTalk underlying service. They will know if it is currently installed, and if it isn't they may have a planned date.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User FilC
(newbie) Thu 09-Feb-12 11:07:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for your replies.

I can't find any online checker for vivaciti. As for ADSL24 it only says that BT 20CN (ADSL) is available. I am on this exchange: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WNBEA

One thing I don't understand is, if a ISP (sky- post office etc) have to go through BT wholesale to provide broadband (up to 8 Mb), would the connection (speed, throttle, ping) be always the same? Like for gas or electricity, doesn't matter who you pay the product is always the same?

Thanks for your help,
F
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Feb-12 13:22:12
Print Post

BT Wholesale provide the bones but it is up to the ISP as to how much bandwidth and back end they provide (so I could connect up 100 users to BT and provide a 1Mb backhaul shared between them all, that wouldn't create a good service but is using the BT wholesale product). TalkTalk on your exchange are almost certainly going to be a terrible experience if it is low price as they will contend the hell out of the connection (to keep costs down).

I suspect you would be better looking at someone like Plusnet if you want a lowish cost connection which performs reasonably on BT wholesale services (non-LLU in other words).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 09-Feb-12 14:04:48
Print Post

Try PM'ing one of them here. (These are the owners, not staff, and very helpful). As I said, they may be able to find out when TT should be there.

Not cheap though. Also having doubts if ADSL24 uses the TT backhaul or not. I think not but you would need to check. Vivaciti don't.

I agree with both MrSaffron and ian72 - avoid TalkTalk non-LLU like the plague. Plusnet is worth a look, but look beyond their head-line price as on that exchanbe the price rises considerably after the first few months.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Feb-12 14:15:58
Print Post

Try our checker http://www.vivaciti.net/signup.php
If is gives you the option of ADSL2+ LLU then that will tell you.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 09-Feb-12 15:00:40
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

I think it's more a question of whether it is coming soon?

Standard User FilC
(newbie) Thu 09-Feb-12 15:53:32
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

Thanks vivaciti, it says:
ADSL2+ LLU 100GB FUP - offers a 100GB FUP on LLU Not available at your exchange

I am getting quite scarred of the good offer of talk talk. My current BB with Sky is pretty good during the day (between 6 and 8Mb) but pretty bad evening's time (~1Mb). If I switch to one of your package vivaciti, the ADSL Max Home with 100GB FUP, do you think I would get better DL speeds during evenings? Also can I leave my phone line with Sky or do I have to go back to BT (as you don't do phone lines)?

Thanks RobertoS for your help.

Fil
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 09-Feb-12 16:00:07
Print Post

Sky Connect that you are on is well known for being terrible during the evenings. Nearly every other ISP would be better. The two that are comparably bad are O2 Access and TalkTalk non-LLU.

Be very careful of TT phone statements about LLU. They have definitely lied to people in the past, and I very rarely use that "l" word here.

vivaciti do do phone lines. You aren't going to get a cheap phone bundle anywhere except on LLU though.

How much do you download and upload? A move to a decent monthly-contract ISP in the short term could be a good idea, and keep the Sky line rental if you wish.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 09-Feb-12 16:00:24)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to