General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User odysseas11
(newbie) Sun 12-Feb-12 11:13:33
Print Post

help me choose ISP please

[link to this post]

I live in Brighton. I have been with Virgin Media for 4+ years now and have always been quite disappointed with their speed when it comes to online gaming. The connection always suffers from high latency and jitter. This was the case since 2009.

However in 2011 the speed and quality of the line have taken a turn for the worse. The line is pretty much unusable now and has been for the last 6 months.

Virgin keep moving the 'fix' date further into 2012. I suspect they will eventually fix it by the end of the year but that my gaming experience will not improve and neither will their traffic management policy, customer service etc. I urge anyone to avoid Virgin Media like the plaque.

I wanted to ask the forum to help me choose between Eclipse, Plusnet for fibre optic or BE and Orange for ADSL.

I do download stuff but not that much but I do play online games and do require low pings and jitter during peak hours i.e. all day every day.

Anybody experienced these providers in Brighton specifically the BN1 area?

Thank you in advance
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 12-Feb-12 16:27:16
Print Post

Re: help me choose ISP please

[re: odysseas11] [link to this post]

Is that VM cable or VM ADSL?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User odysseas11
(newbie) Sun 12-Feb-12 17:40:05
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That would be Virgin Media super Cable broadband smile.

I have friends in the US who also have cable (not with Virgin) and they do not have this problems? Richard Branson lives in the US so he probably has good broadband

Please any recommendations for gamers in the Brighton area?
Plusnet or Eclipse. cost is no issue.

Anyone with good gaming stories to tell about their ISP? in Brighton

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RandomJointer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 12-Feb-12 20:37:40
Print Post

[re: odysseas11] [link to this post]

BT infinity is the best bang for buck out there.

You need to check if you are on Withdean or Hove exchanges which are live for Infinity or Kemptown which isn't until March.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 14-Feb-12 12:53:34
Print Post

[re: RandomJointer] [link to this post]

I've just cancelled my contract with VM due to poor broadband performance over the last few months, I live in BN2.

I've checked BT infinity and it isn't available to me so I'm looking at alternatives, heard good things about BE but they are costlier than alternatives, others I'm considering are O2 and Sky, would be interested to know if anyone has any experience of these good or bad, or any other ISPs in the area. thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 14-Feb-12 13:18:22
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
I've just cancelled my contract with VM due to poor broadband performance over the last few months, I live in BN2.

I've checked BT infinity and it isn't available to me so I'm looking at alternatives, heard good things about BE but they are costlier than alternatives, others I'm considering are O2 and Sky, would be interested to know if anyone has any experience of these good or bad, or any other ISPs in the area. thanks
Just to avoid confusion, you aren't the OP and forgotten to log in are you? Your postcode is different, but could be a typo.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 14-Feb-12 13:18:49)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 14-Feb-12 13:43:58
Print Post

Hi - Anon here, no sorry bit of a hijack but similar enough I thought (hope) to add to the conversation. cheers, John
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 14-Feb-12 17:54:40
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Hi - Anon here, no sorry bit of a hijack but similar enough I thought (hope) to add to the conversation. cheers, John
Can you put your phone number into this checker please, and post the URL of the result. (By the way, the site is a lot easier to use if you register. No captcha's for a start, and far fewer adverts. Plus you can alter the look/usability a bit. You don't get spammed).

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Standard User johncf
(newbie) Tue 14-Feb-12 20:35:19
Print Post

Hi RobertoS

Advice taken, I'm now officially johncf rather than anon, - url for the link you gave gives me the Kemptown exchange

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

Also included the link when clicking through on the name link which gives a bunch of information so I guess it's a matter of which one is enabled and out of those ones which is the best?

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SDKMPTW

Really grateful for your help

John
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 14-Feb-12 21:16:22
Print Post

[re: johncf] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by johncf:
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SDKMPTW
I assume you were on VM cable as well?

Lots of options there, but the cheapest have an assortment of niggles. Is price important, within reason?

Have you got Sky TV? Who is your landline with, if you have one, and is it in a long-term contract? Would you use a landline anyway for phone calls, or just want it so that you could have broadband?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to