General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nicknoxx2
(newbie) Sat 18-Feb-12 14:16:55
Print Post

Which ISP in rural area?

[link to this post]

Hi

I live in a rural area so can only get ADSL and ADSL Max. There is no LLU at my exchange. I get about 4Meg on an average day. My current provider is Zen but I often go over the 50Gb monthly limit. I want a reliable, stable provider with an unlimited evening limit and no throttling or shaping.
I've been looking at ADSL24 and TitanADSL but have read some less than glowing reviews on here. Who do the forum recommend?

Thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 18-Feb-12 14:26:08
Print Post

Re: Which ISP in rural area?

[re: nicknoxx2] [link to this post]

Are you saying the exchange is not WBC-enabled?

As for the two you suggest, I would plump for ADSL24. Also consider vivaciti , which would be Enta-based but avoid UKFSN. The corresponding packages from ADSL24 are Daisy/(Murphx) based.

"Unlimited" evenings is an awfully big jump from "often go over the 50GB", and peak time for most is until midnight. Only night-time can be unlimited. Can you be a little more specific perhaps smile?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User nicknoxx2
(newbie) Sat 18-Feb-12 14:50:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply. I'm no broadband expert so I'm not sure what WBC-enabled means. This is my exchange:
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WNSW
We've got three fairly heavy users in the house but recently we've started watching old tv series by downloading from tvtorrents which can push our usage up considerably. It wouldn't be a problem to move these downloads into the midnight-8am slot. Buying extra capacity from Zen on an ad hoc basis is very expensive.
Thanks again
Nick

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 18-Feb-12 15:12:04
Print Post

WBC is often called 21CN It's in the BT Wholesale section on the page you just gave. It would give ADSL2+ through a BT-based ISP, which is most of them. It isn't enabled though.

Both ADSL24 and vivaciti are monthly contract, with free migration in. So no great problem if things don't work out on the 30GB products. (Unlimited midnight to 8am).

Both may have occasional issues, depending on the load on them in your area, which I have no idea about. If you want a compromise there is IDNet, comparable in quality to Zen, who have a 30 peak/60 off-peak package at the same price as you are paying now from what I can see.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Standard User dazzle39
(newbie) Sat 18-Feb-12 15:35:33
Print Post

I am in a similar position as the OP - not with usage but getting cold feet about the Enta reseller that you advised the OP to avoid!

So, Market 1 exchange, no WBC - and happy with Enta's service. Would I be better to stick with Enta through another reseller e.g.vivaciti, or go for ADSL24? Both seem to offer a very similar service at almost identical cost.
Standard User iand
(experienced) Sat 18-Feb-12 16:23:09
Print Post

[re: dazzle39] [link to this post]

I have used vivaciti in the past with no problems. Others have use the other ISP mentioned. I now use SKY, but for your exchange witch does not have SKY LLU, you should avoid sky...

IanD
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 18-Feb-12 16:55:33
Print Post

[re: dazzle39] [link to this post]

Do you remember a few years back, when Enta were the first ISP to go for BT Wholesale WBC? It was utter chaos, with all sorts of capacity problems and unhappy customers. Which made the resellers unhappy as well.

That was when the ones we know of started looking at alternatives. UKFSN looked and seem to have done nothing practical. Vivaciti stayed with Enta for the "Family Allowance" packages but have continued to accumulate other options. ADSL24 shifted the whole of their Enta allowance customer base to what was then Murphx, on virtually identical packages, and are also continuing to arrange other options.

Both seem to me to have perfectly OK customer support and to genuinely try to get things right. As I said earlier, I think one or the other will be right, but wouldn't want to "plump" on someone else's behalf. If I were choosing between them myself I would probably toss a coin and be prepared to swap to the other after a couple of months if it didn't work out for me.

It's merely a question of how the backhaul capacity for each is for your location. In most cases I would expect both to be fine.

An important thing to me is not to use any ISP's email provision. See my ISP-independent web/email page. Removes nearly all the hassle from migrations as you never need to change your email address again.

Standard User nicknoxx2
(newbie) Sat 18-Feb-12 17:54:48
Print Post

Thanks very much, plenty to consider
Regards
Nick
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 18-Feb-12 18:21:37
Print Post

Cheers Nick smile. Note what I said to dazzle39 about ISP-independent email as well. Tsohost isn't cheap, but is good. There are several cheaper ones that others swear by.

Standard User noinchki
(member) Sat 18-Feb-12 19:19:06
Print Post

Hi

Have you considered the Post Office,which might suit you?

Their service is only up to 8 Meg, but has "unlimited" download. From what I've heard, there is no throttling or shaping either. (12 month contract)

Post Office

BTW there is a £50 offer on too
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to